1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. kcd

kcd Member

Yup Lin was the only one that was good at feeding our bigs in the post. Harden wasn't that great, hopefully he'll be better with Howard if he's handling the ball a lot. I felt sorry for DMO the most because he has great post moves, but Lin was really the only one to get him the ball.

2. pnr

pnr Member

Right, so that's why Parsons and Asik had breakout years. :rolleyes: The team consists of more than just Lin.

1 person likes this.
  3. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

If I remember correctly, a good chunk of JH's scoring came from the line last year. It will be much harder for Harden to have the same success this year if he still relies on the ref to bail him out and send him to the line. Majority of the calls will be distributed between him and DH. In addition, teams will be smarter about not fouling him when he sticks out his hand looking to draw fouls.

1 person likes this.
  4. pademon

pademon Member

This is obviously a bait post.

Who is or is not the 6th man depends on the coach, not on Lin fans.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Answer me this; why did a variety of LOFs jump all over a guy who was simply suggesting Lin would be a good fit off the bench and not bashing him whatsoever while ignoring ignorant comments like the one made? It happens all the time. The other day a dude said Lin would average 25/12 if traded to a team who would use him correctly and none of his supporters jumped in to call him out on it. Criticize Lin, and the masses pile on.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Because they took the bait by considering this thread a Lin bashing thread.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This wasn't an issue when Wade and Shaq played together and Kobe's FT rate didn't go down last year.

The idea that teams are just going to figure out how to stop fouling Harden doesn't really make any sense either. If that were true his FT rate would have gone down in the second half of the season and the playoffs, but the opposite happened.

8. Classic

Classic Member

I think it's all about lineups. I think if Asik & Howard are in the game, you need Lin & Harden. If you have a small ball lineup with Parsons or Garcia at the 4, you can role with Beverly.

Lin's man defense is not even close to Beverly but it will be all about lineups. I feel better about Lin if Asik & Dwight are protecting the paint but like Beverly if one of them is out for his D and defensive rebounding. Frankly, who cares who's starting because at the end of the day, it's about matchups and which team we're playing that night.

I think this is a worthy topic but I think it will be just like it was at end of last year and how it was a few years back with AB & Lowry: you play who's hot and who matches up best.

I'm sure Lin will be the 'starter.' This is also a 'problem' deep teams have. All Rockets fans should consider it a good thing.

9. King1

I don't see how suggesting he would be a good 6th man is bashing him. Manu and Jamal Crawford are two primary examples of guys talented to start but better serve their teams coming off the bench

10. Rocketsmith

Rocketsmith Member

When the Rockets signed Lin, he was to play with a catch-n-shoot guard like Kevin Martin. Lin would be the primary ball handler, be able to drive to the basket & either score or find the open man. On paper, seemed like a good fit for these 2 players. All this changed when the Rockets traded for Harden, a terrific scorer who needs the ball in his hands. Harden is one of the best at getting to the rim, scoring & drawing the foul. We definitely want Harden to continue playing his game, even though it pulls Lin away from his strengths. This is why a lot of people believe Lin would be better off running the 2nd unit. Let him play his game & don't force him to be a catch-n-shoot option for Harden. Lin has never been that knock-down pure shooter, or a player that will make you pay for leaving him wide open. Some will say he is better than Beverley, so he he should be a starter. What we need to consider what is best for this team. IMO, Lin coming off the bench makes a lot of sense!

11. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Nope. You are talking nonsense. This is a complete fabrication. No sane description of the discussion in this thread matches what you have written here.

How about this, I'll trash anyone obvious Lin fan who says something stupid as long as you start trashing any obvious Lin hater who says something stupid.

You can start with the moron who has posted the idea that it would be worth it to trade Asik away for nothing if we can attach Lin to the deal; he's posted the same nonsense in multiple threads today.

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Title of the tread indicates the op is not a Lin fan.

To some Lin fan extremists or so called LOFs, any non Lin fan is LOHs or ABJs.

And the 6th man topic was discussed to death last season.

Personally, I think Lin had better chance to be the 6th man LAST season. With the addition of Howard, I certainly don't see why we wouldn't want Lin to play along him since he flourished in NY for his PnRs with Tyson Chandler.

13. Caris

Caris Member

Crying is therapeutic. It sounds like you need it today.
    I was thinking aloud, in general, not only because of this topic.

14. King1

I'm doing neither of the two.

I highly doubt that but ok.

Haven't seen or read the posts. What thread are they in?

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Not everyone has the time to go through every post on here or respond to it. But when it's an entire thread 13 pages long, that is kind of hard to miss.

16. King1

Personally, I think the Lin threads definitely to be kept to a minimum during the offseason barring breaking news: trade, charity event he is working on, videos (all should be kept in one thread though) of him working on his shot, ect..

I think the two man game will definitely be Howard and Harden. Not that lin isn't capable but Harden is just a far superior player and willing passer. Teams also have to respect his three as well as him going to the basket making it much harder on defenses who would sag off Lin on the perimeter. Just so you know, i'm not sold on Beverley as a starter either. I think we need to add a dead eye shooter who can play defense. Honestly, I can't really see Lin's role being much different then it was last year. The sales pitch to Dwight was to run the offense through him and they aren't going to take away opportunities from Harden to give to Lin. That wouldn't make sense.

17. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Hate to say it but DWade is a big flopper. I lost count how many times he was flopping in the finals this year. The games became a contest of who can act the best. The NBA is trying to crack down on this.

Harden's signature move is to stick out his hand to draw a foul, Teams were figuring out how to defend without fouling him toward the end of the year. He was also getting less calls.

18. King1

While I agree with you on that, lot's of those comments go overlooked purposely imo. There are enough of them not to consistantly get missed.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Evidence suggests otherwise, but believe what you want.

20. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I dont really care if Lin s a 6th man or not. But i do believe he will be a top PG of the future. Ppl are saying we should dump him b/c he's worthless but honestly I think he would be well suited with PnR players and 3 pt threats. The coach can even mess around with the line-up like with Smith and Cassell.

I don't however think Beverly is better than Lin.