1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point guard alternatives

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zaam, Jul 1, 2013.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Your user name doesn't align with your trade proposal.

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Not sure if Chauncy can stay healthy, which is one of the arguments used against our incumbent PG that played 82 games last season.

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

well to be fair a couple year in detroit and denver he was. But overall the dude is a career 41% shooter. Lin shot 44% last year and people around here were furious he wasnt shooting well enough.

4. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

It counts double when Lin misses.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Damn how Lin has fallen. Are his fans now proud of the fact that he's better than some old,broken down Billups who will likely command the veteran minimum now? Seriously? Have some pride folks. This isn't even a comparison you should be bothered to make.

Any comparison of Lin, if he were to be traded, should be to the player we're trading him for, and/or the capspace usage following the trade. Not Chauncey freaking Billups.

This is just sad.

6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I see it as how much "you" have fallen, and there wasn't any mehsanity magic before.

People post here we should get Billups to replace Lin. Others reply regarding Billup's shooting percentage, age, and health as reasons we shouldn't.

And you read it as now people comparing Lin to Billups, as a sign of how much Lin has fallen?

You're low, and not only do you know it, your argument pretty much demonstrates.

It's like, hey, I compare you to a rotten apple, another poster says hey at least a rotten apple is somewhat edible, and another poster says 'how far Meh has fallen, he's just being compared to a rotten apple these days.

Yup.

Your argument.

Low.

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

It's very considerate of the ABJs and Lin haters to keep making threads like this. It's helps focus the pointless and stupid Lin arguments here and minimizes it on other topics. I throw in some troll bait here to keeps you guys occupied. I can understand how important an outlet for your hate is even though nobody cares. Have fun :)

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

No. People post stating that in a post-trade situation where the Rockets have upgraded at another position.... that Billups can come in and replace Lin.

If we sign Howard and Atlanta agrees to a Lin for Josh Smith S&T tomorrow, I will be ecstatic to see us settling for an old, decrepit Billups as Beverley's backup.

9. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

It was a sarcastic comment. lol Amare. CAP monster

10. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Actually, the purpose of this thread was to talk about whether guys like Jack or Teague would be suitable/attainable/affordable in the event Lin and Asik had to be traded for cap purposes. I understand your frustration with the trolls, and it's too bad any discussion involving Lin has to be so polarizing.

That said, the thread was anything but troll bait. I actually like Lin a lot and I think he still has upside; but I am not convinced that he's the best solution for the team if Howard comes on board, and that his level of play justifies his cost if the team adds another max contract. If we are looking at Howard plus another impact player, money will be tight. Considering Beverly's promise and Canaan's potential, Lin's salary, while not outrageous, may be better distributed in other ways.

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Ok. That's a fair enough debate.

Looks like Houston got the cap room for Dwight with White left off the roster.

I don't think Lin will get traded for pieces (Bev is a risk), it will be for a clear upgrade a PG for less money (because we'll be at the cap when Dwight signs). Frankly there are not many clear upgrades at PG for the same or less money... Definitely not Calderon, Teague, Dragic, Holiday, Chalmers or any of the ones mentioned in this thread so far. Maybe Rondo if he was paid less than $8m. I think he's one of the best passing PGs in the league and even more valuable to us with his skill set when Dwight comes.

12. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

I have to disagree. If there is enough of a savings to improve the roster in other areas, I believe a clear upgrade over Lin is not necessary. A lateral move that "does no harm" would do, particularly if the Rockets feel the young guards have promise.

13. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Of course other teams care. They don't get the financial benefit of one of the years, but are paying far more real dollars to him in the third year. It is the same reason there are owners who will not pay into luxury tax. It doesn't mean they are untradeable, but it certainly diminishes their value vs. a guy that has real dollars and cap hit that are the same.

14. SRR21

SRR21 Member

If HOU lands DH and then trades away Lin I have a feeling Shaun Livingston will end up here in HOU again.

15. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

teams love expiring contracts.....wouldnt be hard at all to trade. The question is why would you make the trade? Unless you're getting great talent back,you're taking back a similar contract with more years.

16. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Not sure if this means anything, but —
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Free agent Jose Calderon passed on chance to sign w/ Kings, clearing way for Sacramento to complete 3-way deal w/ Pelicans, sources tell Y!</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/352888612989321216">July 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So, it was Calderon who turned down the deal with the Kings? Hmmm.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I love this, even though Sessions isn't a good 3 point shooter. Sessions' contract is just such a value deal. And I love how Sessions attacks that paint (may be redundant with Harden though).

18. gate470

gate470 Rookie

ABJ's, man.

19. monster

monster Member

I have no problem moving Lin if an opportunity to improve arises, but I'd like to see him develop over another 1-2 seasons. His shooting will have to improve, but I like the way he attacks, and if we get D12, I'd love to see Lin penetrate often, hitting D12 or making layups.

20. goyao11

goyao11 Member

It's pretty apparent that IF Lin is moved, it'll be because of his contract, not because we can actually get a better point guard or playmaker in return. What guard is both attainable and makes less than 8M while not being a HUGE downgrade from Lin? What guard is both attainable and is a huge upgrade from Lin?

People throwing out names like Chauncey, Hinrich, Calderon are not thinking about this the right way. People saying that we should rely on Patrick Beverley or an untested Canaan are not thinking about this the right way.

When it comes down to it, you do NOT want just another spot up shooter next to Harden. You want as many dynamic playmakers as possible. Top teams that have good rotations and perimeter D will smother teams that run guys like Calderon when push comes to shove.

We're not in the business of being good (we already will be good the way we are, and we will be definitely be even better with Dwight), we want to position ourselves to be competitive against teams like Miami and OKC. To do so, you have to be able to put pressure on the opponents players from all angles, and that means having guys like Lin who can push the ball, beat guys 1v1, hit outside shots (Lin shot great over the last half of the season), all the while having the size and athleticism to play adequate defense on the other end.