1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Houston Rockets Summer League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivenovember, Jul 3, 2013.

1. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Take a break from all the NBA FA news and enjoy our young players in the Orlando Summer League.

Roster:
    PG Patrick Beverly
    PG Isiah Canaan
    PG Casper Ware
    G Vander Blue
    SG B.J. Young
    SG James Anderson
    SG Toure' Murry
    SF Robert Covington
    SF Tyler Honeycutt
    PF Terrence Jones
    PF Jordan Henriquez
    PF/C Greg Smith
    C Jack Cooley
    C Tim Ohlbrecht

The Orlando Summer League runs from July 7th to July 12th, with the 12th being the "championship games".

Rockets Schedule (all times are in CST):
    Sunday, July 7th 8am versus Philadelphia 76ers
    Tuesday, July 9th 2pm versus Utah Jazz
    Wednesday, July 10th 2pm versus Boston Celtics
    Thursday, July 11th 2pm versus Brooklyn Nets

Full Schedule (these times are in Eastern):
    [​IMG]

All 25 games of the OPSL will be broadcast live on NBA TV and will also be available online through the NBA Summer League Broadband subscription service at www.nba.com/summerleaguebroadband.

Rosters for our opponents:
    76ers:
    [​IMG]

Jazz:
    [​IMG]

Celtics:
    Not yet complete, but:
    In addition to last year's rookie center, Fab Melo, 2013 first round pick Kelly Olynyk, and second rounder Colton Iverson, a seven-footer from Colorado State, the Celtics have signed Missouri point guard Phil Pressey to a free agent contract. The team will only have a short time with Iverson, who reportedly plans to play in Europe next year, though the Celtics hold his rights. The team also lined up the following free agents for the trip to Orlando - guard Darius Johnson Odom (Marquette), forward Tony Mitchell, who averaged 30 points for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants last season and was named the NBADL's rookie of the year, forward Lawrence Hill (Stanford, Israel), forward Tim Abromaitis (Notre Dame), forward Courtney Fells (NC State, Israel) and point guard Jason Granger (Spain).

Nets:
    Kidd will be coaching the summer league team.

No. 10 Tyshawn Taylor G (second-year pro)
    No. 20 Tornike Shengelia F (second-year pro)
    No. 22 Mason Plumlee F (team’s first-round pick this season)
    No. 12 Damion James F (former Net)
    No. 35 David Lighty F
    No. 6 Matt Janning G
    No. 13 Keith Benson C
    No. 44 Jamelle Hagins F
    No. 14 Dominique Sutton G
    No. 24 Carleton Scott F (played for team’s NBDL affiliate in Springfield, Mass.)
    No. 1 Kashif Watson G (brother of ex-Net C.J., who signed with the Pacers Monday)
    No. 2 Chris Wright G

1 person likes this.
  2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Bev's gonna domiante the summer league lol

3. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I think Vander Blue or Anderson, whoever gets the start at SG will dominate the scoring. But Terrence Jones will be a beast on the boards.

4. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Justin Holiday on the 76ers related to Jrue Holiday? That's a bit awkward ...

5. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

My guess is Canaan may stand out more than Beverley, in a summer league setting with less defense and more focus on offense.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

The Rockets should be playing in Vegas, not Orlando :mad:. I was planning on making that trip an annual tradition.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

And only 4 games? Vegas had 6 games if I remember correctly ...

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

There will be a 5th game on July 12th (if you check out the full schedule) but it matters where we place in order to see who and when we play.

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Where's our Euro dude from the TRob trade? Thought he wanted to come to the NBA this year

10. dragician

dragician Member

11. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

vis a vis mike_lu -- I don't care what everyone else is focusing on out there, if 'my old friend" Beverley is on the court, he is going to be focusing on defense...and lots of it.

vis a vis RedDynasty -- I think he'll excel when he is on the court, but I think he is going to be there in a minimal role, just like Parsons was last season. You'll probably see him only play some of the games for short stretches, join the broadcasters doing the play by play, and just be there to set a good example to the young players what the Rockets system is all about, i.e. contributors like Bev coming to Summer League, people not complaining about going to the D League, etc.

12. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I'm surprised Furkan isn't there.

13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing. I hope to see him come over, and I am getting a little worried since I haven't heard anything about that possibility yet.

Perhaps he has some national team commitments like DMO (who is also not playing in the Summer League). If I remember correctly he is a pretty big contributor to the Greek National program.

14. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Hopefully there will be some other way to watch the games...maybe someone could post them here on the forum. That would be awesome! I'm seriously going through bball withdrawals.

15. jocar

jocar Member

Thanks, I'll be watching fo sho.

Very anxious to see if Canaaaan! and our main man, Darrol Murry,'s kid is any good.

16. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Can't wait!

17. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Man, I can't wait for this. Thanks for the updates. I'm mostly excited about TJones and Canaan. TJones was really really consistent in the last summer league and he teased us in the latter part of this past season. I'm expecting him to play really well considering how he's dominated in the D-league. I'm also hoping that we see more improvement on his defense since that's what got him more playing time from this past season.

As for Canaan, I'm excited because he was our draft pick and Morey values this guy highly. I'm not expecting a lot from a stat sheet perspective but I just want to see some consistency and how he plays against other rookies.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Watch out for Vander Blue.

19. arjun

arjun Member

I think this will be an eye opener for beverly. he has become overrated on these boards..will not dominate.. he will play alright.

canaan will play better.

20. Lihao

Lihao Member

not really , even if he didnt play well, it will be " meh , it's just a summer league"