1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Parsons in two years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by douglasreedy1, Jul 3, 2013.

1. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

We all know parson will get paid when his contract is up... Do you guys think Alexander will be willing to pay the luxury tax to keep him? I'm hopeful, but with increased penalties due to the new cba, I wonder what you guys think...

2. smr6

smr6 Member

If he stays true to his statement of "I have plenty of money, not enough championships" then he would pay up.

3. BabySeal

BabySeal Member

This /thread

Also, the Rockets have done nothing but indicate that Parsons is part of the core for the long run.

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

4yr- 46m

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Lin and Asik will expire in 2 years, so I don't think that will be too much trouble keeping Parsons, assuming Lin and Asik are still with the team next 2 years.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Parsons' contract ends when Lin and Asik's end - if the rockets are doing well and if both Lin and Asik are still on the team chances are if they are expendable Parson's new contract will eat into the space theirs were taking.

OR if the Rockets are quite successful (in WCF etc) if Howard and then Smith come here then I can see Les paying the lux tax. Its only bad when the tax becomes a multiple repeater.

dwight would mean more exposure all around - more possible play off games - there would be more revenue for the Rockets overall

7. dragician

dragician Member

sadly, if we get another max player this year we won't be able to see all allstar abilities. he will be a james harden who will bloom in a diffrent uniform.

8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

It depends on where his mind is. He seems like he enjoys the spotlight and celebrity life. If he's able to build that by leaving then I wouldn't be surprised to see him go. Hopefully he keeps the mind set of doing what it takes to win a championship and stays here to help make it happen.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]
    Of course, credit to Rodman

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Similar to what Batum got.

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

excellent!

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As its been noted before quite a few times, Les Alexander stated just weeks ago (on purpose directed at Dwight) that he was more than willing to go into lux tax territory if they had a contending team.

So take him at his word or call him a liar.

I personally believe yes, if he's worth what he's going to get in free agency, the Rockets will view him as an asset either way and pay him what he is due.

So lets make some Assumptions here with future salaries and see where the Rockets would be salary cap wise if they went "All In" and also kept Chandler Parsons here in the future.

First off- Assumption #1- I dont think anyone in the league will truly view Parsons as a legit max contract player in free agency, but I do think he will surely get paid.

Assumption #2- If you look at when Parsons will probably be getting paid - (2014/15 season if becoming a RFA), and we are assuming you are assuming the Rockets would in this case land Dwight, Josh Smith, and would be trading Asik & Lin.

Assumption #3 - You're probably looking at salary ranges for these players in 2014/15-

Howard- 22 -23 mil
    Harden - 14.7
    Josh Smith- 10 to 14mil range

Thats only 51.7 mil for those three players... Thats not bad at all for 2 superstars and another semi-all star

Assumption #4 - Now lets say Parsons gets offered a VERY respectable contract similar to the one Igoudala got offered of 4 years 54 million.

That brings the Rockets payroll to 65.2 mil

The Rockets would still be 6 million under the luxury tax assuming the tax threshold stays where it was in 2013.

-Assumptions #5 - 8- the Rockets have 2 mid level players making 3 -4 million each, 4 players with "James Anderson/ Pat Beverly type" contracts, and 5 players either on rookie 1st round pick salaries, or vet-min salaries (lets say 1.5 mil on average)

That would bring the Rockets salaries TOTAL to around 72 to 78 million total.

Considering last years Brooklyn Nets team (1st round playoff exit) had a team salary total of 83 million+, I think the Rockets would be structured great with salaries moving forward, and would ABSOLUTELY have the option to give Chandler Parsons a lucrative contract when he goes to free agency whether it be in 2014 or 2015.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Hope we do a Splitter style agreement and avoid him signing an offer sheet. Someone will go bonkers and offer him crazy money to lure him away.

14. Classic

Classic Member

I think you have to if your Rox MGT so Morey doesn't get Morey'ed like he did others with the back load/front load scenarios

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

Where was this originally posted?

16. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Um, no

17. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

He'll be treated like any other asset.

18. LAC

LAC Member

^These

I think Morey will sell high before he becomes RFA.

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Let's worry about this when we know whether Howard and/or Smith will be here, and whether Lin and/or Asik or neither have been traded.

20. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

It hurts to read that... but it makes too much sense not to.