1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Rockets "frontrunners" for Dwight Howard, Lakers "desperate" to keep him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 29, 2013.

1. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

we can give dwight 2 ipads now that chris paul is resigning with lac

that should put us over the top

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Did you not feel that when Tracy was traded here?

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

i remember dat feel

4. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Ex-pat who has lived in China for 3 years. I can confirm Lin is not the reason the Rockets are big in China. It's the Yao legacy. Not that Lin hurts; he's extremely well-known and does get some endorsement exposure. But other Rockets get love too; Parsons has gotten really famous over the last year and I bet before long he'll be more popular than Lin.

But we have to remember the China connection is an advantage the Rockets have over some teams. But there is another team in the Dwight sweepstakes that has just as much a spotlight for the Chinese audience: the Lakers. So this is something we can show to Dwight and say he isn't losing by coming to us, and probably would lose if he went to Dallas.

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

I'm not as excited as I would have been last year. We are looking good because of all of the right reasons for Dwight. Acquiring Harden is Morey's best move as a GM and if we do get him, I see another trade coming. Rondo anyone?

6. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

We'd have two horrible free throw shooters

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

My question is why would Phil volunteer his services to a team that will obviously be on the verge of a rebuild next season?

We all know good and well that he's only opted for promising opportunities with a stable team in place to contend.

The Lakers don't worry me, only Dwight's indecisioness worries me but I have confidence in Morey & Co. to provide an awesome sales pitch.

It does say a lot that we are first up on Dwight's meeting list.

8. pademon

pademon Member

The team of DH, JH, CP, Asik and Lin will potentially capture the most audience among the NBA teams and around the world.

1) International appeal : mixture of various ethnic origin;
    2) need to prove themselves appeal : JH, CP, Asik, Lin being let go or low in draft pick; DH no need to elaborate;
    3) youthfulness appeal;
    4) looks appeal : CP;
    5) hardworking appeal + no partying type, particular emphasis on Asik slient no-nosense type;
    6) Harden/beard also has a humor factor.

There will be many who wants the team to be successful for the feel-good factor.

9. MONON

MONON Member

I had that feeling when we got McGrady and Yao and Artest! :) You should probably take that with a grain of salt though, because my wife says it's easy to get me excited. :grin:

10. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

No to Rondo. I could see a sign and trade for Josh Smith, then clearing more room for Danny Green. I highly doubt Green would take a low salary to play here but you never know.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not at all. I was sad actually. A couple guys that bled Rockets Red for a talented, soft diva.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Please go back and look at the circus and the drama before D Will was traded. And of course Dwight is getting all the attention , he is the biggest star in this years free agency.

13. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Not a surprise.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaj...ina-fueled-by-jeremy-lin-and-media-platforms/

And, as our friend from Shanghai said above, a note from the same Forbes article:

So, it would make sense that if you want those fans' support, then you would want to have the player they support and be associated with the player they support.

As someone else mentioned above, this isn't only China that is in play here. It's all of Asia.

14. himself

himself Member

I do not think p. Jackson or D' Anto. and what happens to them etc. would be the main factor/have a lot of weight in Howard's final decision, no.

The decision will be based on Howard's age and prime (currently 27 and with good health and with the right environment could play for another 6 maybe 7 more year in high level).

Houston gives Howard an immediate chance to not only get his max money without any further complication, but also a nice and young roster in place that could with Howard's addition be a major contender in the west and would have a chance to play in NBA finals on semi regular basis maybe for the next 6 or 7 years.

In other words , in Houston Howard can take most advantage of the remaining years of his currier without many "what if"s.

Our main contenders Lakers and Mavs both fail to address this issue and both rely on aging rosters that Hope to play healthy for two years and then rebuild around Howard and in the process affectively destroy Howard's currier by wasting 2 years before giving up the hope to win with what they have now and then start to rebuild and waste another 2 or 3 years of his best days .

Add plenty of "what if"s in both cases of Lakers and Mavs and you have a sure way of wasting best years left in Howard.

When you look at it from the right angel it really seems to be an easy decision.

D12 should be smart enough to do what's right

1 person likes this.
  15. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

What's with all the love for Rondo on this team? He's ball dominant, something we don't need since we have Harden, and a terrible shooter, which we CAN'T have from the PG position in our offense. His passing and defense are a plus, but offensively, he's not what we need.

2 people like this.
  16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I fully expect the Lakers to tell Dwight to name his coach. We will see what happens. The Lakers may have something up their sleeve.

17. MONON

MONON Member

Good point! I forgot that Kobe was just as big a draw as Yao in China.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

The Sloan drama wasn't even a fraction of the Orlando drama with SVG.

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Surely we could never have predicted how things were going to turn out but to have Yao and Tracy, two players at the very top of their positions, I think a lot of us were thinking multiple championships. Then the Artest trade happened and I thought for sure we could squeeze one out. We finally had our Big 3 to contend with Boston and the Lakers. Sigh, I hate thinking about it. Back to Dwight.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Only because Sloan went out with dignity and neither he nor the Jazz made it a public issue (they just traded Williams the next week). D-will is onto what? his 5th coach?