1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do if you were Houston's Coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lpya2, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Lpya2

Lpya2 Member

I think steve is doing great in the point guard position i dont know why in the hell would you want steve to play 2 guard. I think we should keep Francis and get a better SF or SG but if we dont lets start playing Boky so he can improve. Eddie is doing good too but he has to work on his shot a little better, in like 2 years he would be a Chris Webber clone. And Yao could be the best center in east but he is like the third best in the west but we are lucky we got big talent like him. Our bench should be deeper next year we should pick up some free agents and release or trade moochie the man cant even hit a layup, Tito Maddux could be a better point guard than Moochie Norris. We should keep posey to have a sign and trade with anyone who wants him. If i was the coach i would do all this movements next year to be a 4 to 3 seed next year. What would you do??????????

2. James23

James23 Member

1. play cato and rice in the 4th quarter. the starting 5: francis, cat, rice, cato, yao

2. tell the players to protect the ball. if they throw the ball away especially during a fastbreak, bench them.

3. yao is the first option. the offense goes around him. if he struggles, tell him to circle around the paint and look for him.

4. get the cat to big yao's man. look for yao, if he's not open, look the cat on the other side.

5. pick-n-roll with yao.

6. cut down the 3-point attempts

7. the players need to take advantage of yao's quick outlet passes. they need to push the ball and attack their opponents.

8. yao should play the whole 4th quarter

6. stop francis from dribbling too long

3. bobododo

bobododo Member

1) Give Yao 50 shot attempts per game

2)Dont rebound when Yao is near the ball. Let Yao grab it.

3)Let Yao run point and direct the offense.

4)Play Yao 48+

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yao Ming cant play 48mins. he doesnt have the stamina to do that. Another two seasons and might be up to it!

5. OT

OT Member

Quit because I am tired of coaching the most under achieving group of NBA players in the league. :mad:

6. bobododo

bobododo Member

How are they underachieving when they won more games then last year plus have a chance to make it to the playoffs?

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

If we don't make the playoffs, Retire...Drink...take Prozac...

If we do make the playoffs, Quit because we just got spanked in the 1st round due to us missing assignments, missin FT's, playing no D, and playing EG way to much...

8. superpro

superpro Member

Well, I would say compared to what they are paid for, they are certainly underachiving.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Off topic

It was nice watching Yao draw out the Rockets next to last play in the game against SacTown (down by 4 points). It looked like he did not agree with Larry so he decided to point out how the play should. Interestingly every member of the team paid attention to him and the resultant led to Francis' 3 point shot that brought us with one. Kudos to Larry for being flexible enough to allow the input of one his players.

10. bobododo

bobododo Member

What were you guys expecting? A championship? I think having a winning record in the tough tough western conference is good enough for the rox already. If they were in the East, they would be one of the top teams.

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'd roll around in my millions of dollars and keep my huge home fully stocked with hookers 'n blow.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

13. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I would:
    1) Sit Cat and Mocchie down, permanently, I already know what they can and can not do and I think the pluses are not enough to warranty those minutes.
    2) Play Hawkins, Maddox and Boki.
    3) Everything else will take care of itself.
    Without Cat, all other guys will get more shots -> more effective. Part of the problems is that they do not get enough touches and shots to get the feel of the game.
    Without Mocchie, we elimate some botched plays and eliminate a defensive liability.

14. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

1) cheaper seats
    2) let yao shoots 3's off the dribble
    3) read this site everyday for tips
    4) repeat

15. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I am happy with Smith's approach after initially not being impressed. I like the fact that he is stricter and calls out players. I like the concerted effort to get easy baskets and SF seem to have a better idea of what he wants to do and it looks like the SF/Ming combo is working just fine. There is not much we can do about EG but give him time and take what he gives. He is very active on defense and on the boards, so we can live with that. Posey is active and involved while the combo of MoT, Cato and Rice, as reserves, is a major asset. Overall the defense can be special as was the case last night vs Kings. There is not much we should do right but do what we do better.

16. ikfit

ikfit Member

1 Starter: same 5
    2. Do not allow yao shoot but dunk in 1st and second Q
    3. Yao play time=8, 6, 8, 12 min
    4. put rice in always when yao is there.
    5. For our SF his first priority is triple doubles

17. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

1) Have a heart attack every single game
    2) Have a stroke every single game
    3) Check myself into the nearest mental institution....maybe taking a few of the Rockets players with me
    4) Collect my pay check and then go back to being a fan

18. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Good topic. Lets see:

ISOs will no longer be in the playbook. ISOs belong on the playground and do not promote teamwork which is essential to success in the NBA.

Put Posey on the bench and start Rice. Both will play about the same # of minutes as they do now but all of Rice's will be with Yao on the floor.

Cut down Cat's minutes to about 35 minutes. Give Hawk 10-15 minutes. Hes a good on the ball defender and can occasionally hit the 18 footer.

Play Cato with Yao for some stretches during every game. Even more when the C and/or PF is an all star.

Run some of the same plays Sac and Dal run. We have the personel for it so why not take advantage of it.

Put on occasional full court and half court traps if we get behind a bunch or to stop a run made by the opposition.

Whoever is of dribbling the ball until there is 2 on the shot clock will be benched asap.

Get EG to cut to the basket instead of standing around waiting to jack up 3s.

Tell Yao to shoot 3s when he's left by himself. He is a good shooter so why not take advantage of it.

Get EG to seriously hit the weight room in the off-season.

Get Boki some playing time. Some in the 2nd qtr and later in 4th qtr garbage time.

Most important: Get some actual coaches for assistants instead of a bunch of scouts, trainers and video editors.

19. dn1282

dn1282 Member

kick myself in the nuts for being so incompetent.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

1. Have an offensive scheme involving movement of the ball and players.
    2. Bench any guard who walks the ball up the court.
    3. Bench any guard who dribbles incessantly
    4. Bench any guard that attempts stupid half-a** playground antics at critical junctures of a game.
    5. Bench any guard that hogs the ball
    6. Bench any guard that has excessive turnovers from unsuccessful stupid half-a** playground antics'
    7. Bench any guard that takes ill advised shots.
    8. Trade any guard that after successive "benching" continued to do the same stupid half-a** things.
    9. Hire a group of psychologists and social workers familar with working MR cases.
    10. Require players to take 100 FT's for every missed FT in a game.
    11. Play defense at least 50% of the time.
    12. Get well. (Hey, Rudy is the coach)