1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Props to Harden isos

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Apr 30, 2013.

1. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Are those his career number or just this year?

Also can you show some other elite players as comparison? Someone like KD/Melo/Chris Paul/Parker?

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Those are this year's playoff numbers.

Here is the comparison with Durant
    Harden FG=36%, 3FG=16%, 5TO per game
    Durant FG=49%, 3FG=32%, 3.5TO per game

but I'm not sure of Durant's ISO %
    I'm looking at stats.nba.com

3. dacman

dacman Member

Here is what I hate about the harden ISO the last two games. The rockets were on a roll towards the end of the game playing team basketball driving to the basket to get the open man the shot or finishing at the basket. At the end of these games Harden was cold, and all of a sudden 2-3 straight Harden ISO possessions that fail.

When the team isn't producing and the Superstar steps up to make the shot, thats one thing. But when the superstar becomes the stupidstar and kills the team momentum thats another. All part of the process.

4. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Athleticism manifests itself different ways. Harden has great balance and lateral explosion. He also has a good quickness/strength(size) ratio.

My worry is that guards that rely on athletic dribbling to create space eventually end up having knee issues-- Tim Hardaway, Barron Davis, Steve Francis, & Derrick Rose to name a few.

I agree with you he can do more by doing less and relying on his teammates. He has the point guard skills that KD, Kobe, & Melo do not.

5. AVoiceInACrowd

Not sure where to find the stats to break it all down. But, in the 27 games that Houston was leading or trailing by 3 or less points in the last 2 minutes, Harden is shooting 18.2% from 3 point land and 31.4% overall. I found it interesting that Lin is shooting 60% from 3 and 66.7% overall. I'm not saying that Lin is star (I don't believe that) or that he should have the ball at the end. I just found it interesting the eye test vs actual stats.

http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerCl...lutchTime=Last 2 Minutes&PointDiff=3&pageNo=1

6. HardLin

HardLin Member

Coach McHale, the rest of the coaches, Shaq, all the sportswriters that I have read, and most of clutchfans agree that Harden ISO's are a bad idea at the end of games.

Worst yet, the Thunder agree. How do you know? Because they're perfectly happy to let Harden go ISO. Good defense is about forcing your opponent to take the worst shot. In Harden's case he picks the worst shot (ISO) and the Thunder don't have to do anything.

Contrast this to what happens when Durant try's to get the ball. The Rockets do everything in their power to get the ball out of Durant's hands and let someone else beat them. Durant is dangerous in ISO. Harden? Go right ahead and take that contested 3 over Sefalosa, buddy, chances are you'll brick it.

It was ball movement that won game 4 for the Rockets and Harden should have stuck with it to the end. Harden is a very good player, but he needs to fix this before he can be considered great. His ISO will improve over time, but he should stick to moving the ball until the time comes when the defense is doing everything it can to deny him the ball. It is worrisome that at his young age he thinks he knows better that people with way more basketball experience.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What if mcgrady committed 10 to's in a rockets playoff game? The hate would shut the board down.

8. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

you're not serious right? KD is the best player not named lebron, he has legit credentials, OKC loves him, even on a night when he has 7 TO, did you notice he was lights out, in EVERY other aspect of the game? 38 8 and 6 on 75% shooting? lol christ...rockets fans would trade their whole team except lin for KD

9. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

hmmm.. a great perspective.....my guts hates iso haren...hell my guts now hates harden as well and he is(or perhaps was) my favorite player... but there seems to be a method to this madness... perhaps this is only practice ad he will adapt and become a lot better and the team will have a mj-like superstar

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

How is this back up to 4 stars? This is a bad idea. You don't want a guy to take bad shots because he is cold blooded. Don't get too hung up on the idea of stardom. This isn't a video game.

11. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

then why not iso lin or parsons.. i am sure they would get better even more....harden is isoing the whole season long and he is getting worst at it....i think the reason is because isoing is not his idea but moreys(he wants to make a superstar out of him to attract other superstars and get preferential treatment wih nba and refs) and hes not good at it cause in his heart of hearts he knows its a bad basketball and he hates it...

12. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

I actually don't mind him passing the ball off to an open team mate. If he has the shot then take it, otherwise move the ball to the person with the best chance of making it. I am sure we lose more games with hero ball than the ones that he pass the ball off.

13. BlueJazz

BlueJazz Member

Agree 100%

14. dxdx

dxdx Member

Exactly. We don't need another ego-driven infighting episode a la Lakers.

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Luckily Parsons had it going in game 4 because honestly the Thunder were content with not having Harden control the outcome of the game. Parsons however can't contribute that much every night without being exhausted. I do think that this series how ever lopsided will just result in Harden becoming a better overall player.

He just has to take better shots and he has to do a better job at making them. Just like how JVG talks about Melo and Durant when he broadcasts, franchise players are better players because they get paid to take and make the more difficult shots that average NBA players can't.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I've never bought into this "taking over the game" crap. You always do the right thing regardless it's the 1st, or last few minutes of the game, that means run the right play, get the best shot you can. If the ISO is the best option at the time, e.g., a mis-match, you take it.

The reason people are all on Harden is that the Rockets are 1-3. Had he made a couple more of those shots, we won't hear much about it. Winning takes care of everything.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Says the OKC fan.:rolleyes:

18. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

teamball is better than iso

19. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Aww... are you upset. It's not Harden's fault, you're a Lin fan looking for scapegoats. This team was missing a decent PG; now they have a couple. Wishing an injury on a player is disgusting. I prefer Bev and Brooks at PG, but I sure as hell wouldn't wish an injury on him.