1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Didn't the Rockets Play to Their Strength

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daoshi, Apr 22, 2013.

1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Everyone knows that the Rockets are only good at one thing, play a fast paced offense to score easy points, or get a wide open 3pt. So why the Rockets played Smith & Asik together in the first game?

We all know those two are the best interior defenders & rebounded the Rockets have, but their inability on the offensive side did the team more harm than the contribution they provided on the other end. Face a much better team like the OKC, the only chance the Rockets have is to maximize their own strength, which is to score the ball, and score it quickly. You defend as hard as you can, but you should never change who you are when face a better team.

The Rockets should start DMO at 4, hope & pray that his offense will draw the attention from OKC's big men, and open up the lanes for the guards & SF, which in terms will open up 3pt shots.

The only thing I'm worry about is DMO won't last 20 minutes before fouling out.

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

i guess it can't hurt to try. Not saying Dmo should start but they obviously need to switch it up the next game if they have any hope of being in this series and pulling the upset. But don't forget, the Rockets also played exceptionally BAD in the first matchup and that shouldn't be the norm either. I've never seen them start a game so SCARED-they looked like timid little kids out there.

They need to play fast ball, attack attack attack the rim, let it rain from three, and hope and pray they play a little Defense and the Thunder miss some shots. But that first game was so bad it HAS to be an aberration, right?..... right?

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

we tried to. Weren't you watching? The thunder shut us down, Lin, Smith, Asik were all completely ineffective. Parsons and harden were jsut missing their shots.

4. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

We are against fast paced team also.

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Lol, we always hated on Suns, D'antoni, etc run n gun offenses, now that the Rockets are doing it we wonder why it's not working? We've been saying these offenses are a gimmick for years.. they really don't work in the playoffs. Regular season sure.

6. Curly

Curly Member

Like they said on the broadcast last night. It's tough to beat a team when the thing you do best...they do better!

1 person likes this.
  7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Why don't fans give credit to the opposing team. Why is it that the ROckets always screw up, why don't we say that the opposing team just defended better.

We tried to play fast paced OKC was just faster & defended us as good as I have ever seen. And why are we playing D-mo who has been poor all regular season & can't shoot from deep at all? You thought Lin & Parsons & Greg were nervous in the post season why would D-mo be any better?

8. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

The reality is the Rockets are simply not good enough to challenge OKC it is what it is. THere is a reason why HOU has 45 wins while OKC is hte number 1 seed in the West. What they do works in a larger degree than what the Rockets do

9. daoshi

No, when you play Asik & Smith at the same time, you are not play much offense. The Rockets were play 3 against 5 on offense, and against a OKC team.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A bubu version of suns system. I was the first to declared this small ball bull**** was bull****. Stretch 4 mi verga. Yo tengo mas verga de todos.

11. daoshi

We all knew that. But the Rockets are who they are, a fast paced offensive team, rely on scoring easy buckets and/or 3pt to beat the opponents. Why change it now?

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL Rockets aren't even running MDA's offense at all. Not even close. Only similarity is the pace. Rockets don't use screens enough to be running his offense & we don't have the roll men of Stoudemire's capability either.

13. daoshi

We all knew the Rockets will be lucky to win a game, or two against OKC. But why don't go down gift with your best weapon?

14. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

It's funny because Oklahoma got their ass whooped by the Heat for playing the way we are right now. I wish they'd put Parsons at the 4 and let T Rob guard Durant.

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I wasn't necessarily saying our offense is copying/is MDA's. My point is we were trying to be a run n gun team and we've seen that these teams don't really work.

16. daoshi

You didn't read my post. Everyone knew OKC is a much better team, the Rockets will be lucky to win a game in this series. My issue is that you won 45 game to get in playoff playing the way you are good at, an all-out offense. Why start changing it now, put two offensive liabilities on the court is not necessary play to your offensive strength.

This isn't about Smith, or Asik is a bad/good player, or DMO gets nervous, it's about stick to your strength.

#16 daoshi, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  17. nebula955

nebula955 Member

I agree with OP. Putting in 2 offensive liabilities to guard....Perkins and Ibaka...while clogging the paint on the other end while doing absolutely nothing else is not the way to go. They're ineffectively defensively anyways in helping against Durant/Westbrook, so we might as well as go smaller.
    I'd rather see Ibaka post up Delfino at this point than any other plays OKC runs.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

I think they work fine if you have the personell. Everybody says that the game slows down in the post season but honestly it slows down by only 2%. Really not that much considering.

I think where you ara mistaken is that you are comparing regular season to post season. What works in the regular season doesn't transfer seamlessly in the post season. I do agree that Smith shouldn't be starting in game 2 (hopefully McHale makes that adjustment). This is McHales first playoffs as well right. He is just as new to this as our players. Cut him some slack.

19. j3i

j3i Member

Remember that time when we all praised McHale for having Asik and Smith start together? 3 weeks ago?

20. nebula955

nebula955 Member

That's fine, and is probably the best overall lineup vs most teams. But you might not wanna start those 2 players vs Thunder.