1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat mobley VS Vernon Maxwell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Khal80, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

haahaha....YUP

I would love to have a maxwell on this team,,no joke

he was off the wall yes, but love to hit big shots had a decent first step and knew the inside outside game

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Horrible shooter, mediocre free throw shooter, bad attitude, and a quitter...no thanks...

3. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

Suffocating defense, clutch shooting, heart of a champion, heck yeh, we could use Vernon.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Suffocating defense? I don't remember seeing him on any NBA all defensive teams. He was a good defender, but it doesn't make up for all his other liabilities....He's James Posey part 2.

Clutch shooting? Most of those shots he put in were either luck or wide open looks because of all the defenders on Hakeem. Mobley has hit a couple of clutch shots himself.

Heart of a champion? HAHAHA! That's the best part. Since when does someone with the heart of champion quit on his team during the playoffs? The Rockets were just lucky that they got Vernon's best years out of him...

5. thedreamisover

Vernon puts Cuttino in his pocket. Vernon d'd up Jordan better than anyone, and at least he COULD hit the wide open looks that Dream gave him. If Cat or any of the other cats on our team could hit a jumper, we wouldn't have to constantly hear how hard it is to beat a zone all the time.

6. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

MAD MAX was a bad ass

7. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

Defense is something you have to watch to understand, his defense was one of the top in the league but there's a guy name MJ who was hogging up the honor of all defensive team at SG

hmmm, I agree there's a difference between clutch and luck... but how about being down 2-0 at phoenix and be called chock city, Vernon single handedly beating down the Sun thus turning the momentum around for the Rockets...how's that for clutch? all 34 point worth of it.

As for the Heart of champion...being mentally unstable and quiting a team when the team's already quit on you does not constitute a lack of heart to win the 15 playoff games in 1993 or the 58 games in the regular season.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Loved the way Vernon played He played with so much heart, his defence was second to none. His freethrow shooting gave us the 'Maxwell Syndrome'
    When a player is at the line and pretends that he is the greatest freethrower and that he makes automatic freethrows without focusing on what he is doing, then he misses, he is said to be guilty of the 'Maxwell Syndrome'. Max did this all the time.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

All that is true, but I'll take Vernon over Mobley any day because of one game, Houston down by two games to Phionex in the second round of 1994 playoffs after blowing two 20 point leads at home. Game three in Phionex, Houston down by 16 at half, things looking very bleek, until Mad Max goes off for 24 second half points to lead this team to victory. Rockets turn series around and win championship.

He may have quit, but he showed plenty of nad that night.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If Mobley had half the heart of Maxwell, there would be no talk of trading him. It's a fair comparison, and I'd take Vern any day of the week. It's doubtful that without him we win the 1st championship in 1994.

11. Khal80

we need someone who plays with some kind of intensity/ craze attitude ala artest for indiana

cmon he ran up 10 rows to punch a guy

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

I just wish I was there to see the Maxwell-Payton incident in Seattle. Word was Max went after GP with a dumbbell! The guy was looney tunes but he could play. I wish that more people realized how special that team really was and how long it took to build, maybe we would have a little more patience around here.

13. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Mad Max was also somewhat of an enforcer, which we need. I remember in a game I think it was Herera that got fouled hard or something and the two players ended up on the floor and Vernon came over and just stepped on the other player and didn't let him up and said something to his face at the same time. I didn't like how he did it but I like that he stood up for his teamates. I also remember Vernon got in to Barkley's face when he fouled Hakeem hard once. We needed someone to do that to Oakley when he kept hitting Yao.

14. Khal80

i think cato likes to play enforcer sometimes but never has the chance cuz hes always on the bench

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Anyone that does not remember Max as being a great defensive player did not pay attention.

Max was 3 times the defender that Cat is. His offense was not quite as dependable as Cats but Cat can damn sure disapear as we have seen on several occasions this year.

Vernon did hit many clutch shots in his career. Anyone can call them luck if the want but the fact is that they went in. I don't mind lucky players at all.

Vernon was a key element on a championship team. Cat's only claim to play-off experience is blowing a last second shot against LAL that would have extended our first round by one more game. Big advantage to Vernon.

16. persiandog

persiandog Member

agreed. great defense...one of the few people who gave jordan trouble. boy when his shot was on, it was great to watch....nothing but the bottom of the net. i especially loved it after a dead ball and he would just throw it up in the air, and if it went in, i knew he was on fire. but, when he was off, it was frustrating.

cat has too much of an ego and no trust in his teammates, plus our guard ffense is based around him...mad max on the other hand wasn't the centerpiece of the team and worked with dream.

and for all you people who dis mad max for bailing on the rockets during the playoffs, after the clyde trade and going into the stands incident...imagine if we benched cat, what type of reaction would we get from him??

17. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Mad Max in his prime without a doubt. Willing and able to play defense against almost anybody. Clutch performances whereas Mobley can only dream about being clutch. Gave up the ghost in his last partial season here, but we forgave Hakeem for giving up on Houston...

18. ACL1

ACL1 Member

I loved him for his Heart and Pride. Especially when he was mad. His eyes would lite up, his chest will swell up, he would look like a pitbull out there. hell of a trash talker too. I remember him getting into his Airnesses ear. Really took pride in his defense. Wouldn't back away from anyone, if i am not wrong I think he went after Karl malone one and malone chickened out.

too bad he went nuts!

what a waste of talent. Isiah said once that he had all the physical talent to be one of the best in his position just did not work hard enough in the off season.

will take him over cat anyday. His toughness, his sense of pride, and his defence is what this team is missing.

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

hmm, that's funny, that's not what the stats say.

vernon's best year fg% wise was his first year in which he only played 30 games, 44.24%. after that, 41.28% and lower. cuttino has been 42.5% or higher his entire career. on 3 pointers, vernon peaked at 34.25%. cuttino has had only one year (this year which isn't finished) below 34.25. every other year he has been better than vernon's best year, peaking at 39.5% last year. free throws. vernon never broke 77.15%, cuttino has never been below 81.82% and has been 83+ the last 4 years.

[qoute]If Mobley had half the heart of Maxwell, there would be no talk of trading him[/quote]

what!!!!?? are you insinuating cuttino doesn't have heart? the guy is in the gym all summer long improving his game, has improved his game essentially every year, played with 2 painful ankles when everyone else was injured last year, played with a severely hurt foot for an extended period earlier this year, and brings hustle and intensity every night. people can say he shoots too much, can't pass, and is stupid, but how anyone can say he doesn't have heart is beyond me.

ahh, elevating the glory year players and dissing the current group, it's what sports is all about.

20. Khal80

heart? cuttino? hes all about himself...trying to get his game better, his stats better, his "star" image,,,,he could get all that if he adopted a team concept that includes more than francis