1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009, 2010, 2011 NBA REDRAFT. Where should Harden, Lin & Parsons be picked?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by charles_zed, Mar 21, 2013.

1. onreego

onreego Member

This is a completely objective post.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So many head-scratching posts in this thread :eek:

3. Asian Sensation

Greivis Vasquez is so underrated. He's like the Chandler Parsons of point guards. Great size 6'6, under the radar, drafted late, dirt cheap contract. Vasquez leads the league in total assists and he has great size. 9.3 APG playing on a Hornets team Gordon missing the majority of the season and playing every other game since his return speaks volumes. His best scoring threats other than that is Anderson and a rookie Davis. He does everything well even though he doesn't have superior athletic ability. He's always had a great scoring mentality but he has excellent vision as well.

Although Vasquez is a couple years older... Both Lin and Vasquez are in their first year starting. I'd take Vasquez over Lin all day every day strictly from basketball skillset point of view but when you factor in the chemistry Lin has with other players on the team and the 'following' he brings (good or bad) it becomes more of a tossup.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So Asik hasn't proven to you how valuable elite defensive big men are for a teams success? Especially one as athletic as sanders.

5. Jedster

Jedster Member

Well since the OP asked, this is my completely biased opinion based on how I feel about the players, now that I have seen their skills and on/off court behaviors.

2009 NBA Draft

"And with the #1 draft pick the Houston Rockets select... James Harden"
    #1 Blake Griffin
    #2 James Harden
    #3 Stephen Curry

I'm a sucker for flashy, high flying players who win slam dunk competitions as a rookie. But if I were looking for lotsa points, Harden clearly is the better choice.

2010 NBA Draft

#1 Paul George
    #2 Jeremy Lin
    #3 Gordon Hayward
    #4 John Wall
    #5 Larry Sanders
    #6 Demarcus Cousins
    #7 Greg Monroe

I like players who can carry their teams as well, so that's why George and Hayward are so highly drafted. Hayward's numbers will go even higher next year once one of the two bigs (Jefferson and Millsap) are gone, and they run their offence through him. And Cousins...I would easily slot him in #2 if I were having a fantasy draft, but if I had a real team, I would take him late simply because I don't like locker room cancers. As for Lin, I can't be objective here. The guy gave me his autograph earlier this month.

2011 NBA Draft

#1 Kyrie Irving
    #2 Kenneth Faried
    #3 Nikola Vucevic
    #4 Enes Kanter
    #5 Klay Thompson
    #6 Chandler Parsons
    #7 Kawhi Leonard

Late first round: Donatas Motiejunas

I like Uncle Drew so much that I'd take him #1 in 2010, and possibly even 2009. I also like Parsons game, but at this point, whether by coach's design or not, I don't believe he has had the impact on the team's fortunes the way Klay Thompson has had on GS.

:grin: That's my 2 cents.

6. Jedster

Jedster Member

Oops, I didn't edit the reply properly. Fixed.

7. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I was going to write a post saying that there is basically no way Lin could be in the top 10 but after looking at the 2010 draft, the best I could do is #10 for him and some of these you could argue Lin going ahead of(Davis, Vasquez, Wall)

(not in any order)
    George
    Favors
    Wall
    Sanders
    Bledsoe
    Monroe
    Davis
    Cousins
    Vasquez

8. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

I went to the University of Maryland when Vasquez was there and have followed him closely. I always felt he was underrated coming out, it may have had to do with his attitude issues.

With that said, Vasquez is a horrible fit for the Rockets. Because of Harden, Vasquez's assists would dramatically decrease just like Lin's has. Vasquez also lives off of his midrange game because of his lack of speed and burst which apparently is a no-no for McHale. And I shudder to think of a Vaquez-Harden defensive backcourt.

In a vacuum, I believe most GMs would draft Lin over Vasquez taking issues of youth, athleticism and marketability into account.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the latest draft you can do a quality re-draft of is 2010. We're still seing how the '11 and '12 classes shake out.

11. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

The way you guys are talking about Wall makes me cringe. I get that it's easy to hate on Wall because of the level of expectations and him falling short, but Wall is easily better than Lin and Vasquez.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

No he isn't.

13. Random Fan

Random Fan Member

The heck? Lin still would not be a lottery pick, let alone a Top 5 pick. How on earth can people have him there?

I have these guys definitely above him:

Paul George
    John Wall
    Evan Turner
    Derrick Favors
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Greg Monroe
    Gordon Hayward
    Ed Davis
    Larry Sanders
    Avery Bradley
    Greivis Vazquez
    Eric Bledsoe
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Quincy Pondexter
    Patrick Patterson
    Kevin Seraphin
    Lance Stephenson

Then you still got guys that just haven't gotten an opportunity. I'd take Lin somewhere in the late teens, early 20s.

14. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Got me cringing again.

There is not a GM in this league that would take Lin over Wall.

15. Random Fan

Random Fan Member

Also, I'm assuming we're talking about talent/skill/on-court impact and not marketing potential.

16. nono

nono Member

Scrubs in bold.

17. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

Lots of fail in this thread, but this is the biggest one. wall over Lin all day every day.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Do you even watch basketball?

19. L7N

L7N Member

Kanter is a sick player. He will play big next year - Nikola Vucevic big. Klay and Kawhi over Chandler? Really?

20. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

So basically this tread is saying in the last 3 years we have 3 players that were lottery picks? Gotta say I gotta like it.