1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

r****d

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by emjohn, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

It's not a word i use in my repertoire.

but

That's my initial take as well. It reminds me of those that, in describing an individual, will whisper "Mexican" as if it's a derogation.

2. Granville

Granville Member

Are you treating the child in room six for "r****dation"? You really are a fool.

3. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

THANK YOU!. Exactly what I'm saying.

4. Major

Major Member

Sure, that's OK. If you're trying to say someone is stupid, then you say they are stupid.

Of course you do - but that doesn't change its offensiveness. As someone else mentioned, saying "he jewed you" is offensive, even though if you know the person you're talking about is not Jewish in the literal sense. It's an offensive term because you're associating some group of people with a negative label - either Jewish people as cheaters or mentally ill people as stupid.

5. Major

Major Member

If there was a gay kid in room six, would you say "go see the f****t in room six"? It's technically correct, after all.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven't read the entire thread, emjohn, but kudos for the effort. I agree 100% and stopped using the word long ago. Besides, if someone is a blithering dunderhead or a goofus, I can always think of different ways to insult them. It's not like the offensive word in the OP is needed at all. I view using it as being lazy more than anything else.

7. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I didn't realize f****t was a medical description. Mentally r****ded means your intellectual growth was stopped/stunted/r****ded. What does f****t mean medically? That is a horrible analogy.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Until you exactly KNOW that I'm MEXICAN, you cannot call me like that, man. My point is you have to know that's the fact. :cool: By now you know I'm the resident grammar-nazi-futbol-lovin-crazy-smiley-usin'-Mexican of the BBS. :eek: It's cool if you call me Mexican now... because that's a FACT. I WAS born in Mexico.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Simon.

10. DreamRoxCoogFan

technically, the phrase "mentally r****ded" isn't used now... you're supposed to say "intellectually disabled" now. I'm pretty sure any doctor who was born after the Vietnam War started doesn't call a patient a r****d.

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2010/10/05/obama-signs-rosas-law/10547/

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A doctor might say "mentally r****ded" but would never say r****d.

Can't believe you guys are still going around with this. Is it going to kill you to remove the word r****d from your daily vocabulary? Quit pretending like someone is stomping on your civil rights or something.

12. Granville

Granville Member

You don't get it or could care less because you are an insensitive self centered jackass.

Like I told you a few times now and you refuse to accept, he's a patient and you are not treating him for r****dation. He deserves you to conduct yourself in a professional manner and your inability to control your urge to act like a child doesn't afford this person with a disability the care and respect he or she deserves from the person providing that care. Referring to the boy as r****ded has no specific value in providing care to that patient. If you were sitting down with another medical professional and needed to update them on the agressive behavior or specific needs of a person diagnosed with some sort of specific mental health condition that is fine as long as you refer back to that condition. That is part of a treatment plan.

But you wanted to throw out some general information in passing that wasn't part of a coordinated effort to treat the patient. What if the parents of that child didn't want anyone to know their kids was as you say "r****ded"? No way in hell are you more than a janitor at a health care facility.

13. Major

Major Member

Yes - "mentally r****ded", which is different from "r****ded" and used a little more specifically. But besides that, unless you were treating his mental r****dation, why would you refer to the patient's unrelated condition? You're using the term descriptively, not medically.

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Oh dude come on you know what I meant. Perfect example: Say a 1 year old kid was coming in for his check up, the nurse telling you "you have a mentally r****ded or intellectually disabled or whatever child in room 6" let's you know he's not going to be behind on his devo milestones.

15. Granville

Granville Member

Because he's never heard of HIPAA. Janitors working in a medical facility probably don't have to take annual Healthcare Compliance Training. He's only allowed to share specific Patient Health (Including Mental Health) Information without authorization if:

a.Treatment is the provision, coordination, or management of health care and related services for an individual, including consultation between providers and referral of an individual to another provider for health care.

QAA is a fraud or an awfully incompetent Doctor wannabe.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i understand why the term can be offensive. but within the context of a conversation in which i use the term between my friend and me, i hardly find it an accurate measure of character as the original post i quoted suggested.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If you are indeed in the medical profession you would be well aware that the preferred term has been person with intellectual disability for some time.

Not sure which is worse in your case, being an ******* on purpose, or not realizing that you are being an *******.

18. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I swear to god I don't know what is so offensive about what I said but whatevs, I'm done.

19. ths balla

ths balla Member

how is it a social norm to not use the word "r****d", when it seems so far in this thread that the social norm is to use the word "r****d".

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ Good point. I will not be able to DELETE the word from my vocabulary when it's right there on the thread title and I see it on the Hangout thread listing. :grin: