1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook vs Harden

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Oct 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It's not about whether they are better this year than last year. Their team will always get better because Durant and Westbrook are nowhere near their prime yet.

It's how much better they could have been had they stuck with Harden, even for half a season longer.

Harden was a big reason OKC got in the finals in the first place, especially against the Spurs. With the way the Spurs are playing this season I don't see them easily moving past them like last season.

2. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Then that's r****ded. It's not Rondo's fault the rest of his team are over the hill veterans.

The dude has assisted on nearly 50% of his teammates's baskets in the last 4 years. So every other bucket the Celtics scored when Rondo was on the court was set up by him.

That's what you want your PG to do. Not too mention he's good at rebounding and is a decent defensive PG.

3. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>No.RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/carlo_salcedo">carlo_salcedo</a>: @<a href="https://twitter.com/haralabob">haralabob</a> need to settle a debate: is Westbrook a top 10 player right now? cc @<a href="https://twitter.com/therealjunk">therealjunk</a></p>&mdash; Haralabos Voulgaris (@haralabob) <a href="https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/307731444367781889">March 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

My point is Harden became the player he is now because he isn't being treated as a 6th man anymore. Harden an amazing closer, but so what, KD and WB are amazing closers as well. WB seems like he was born to play bball just for those clutch moments, and KD is one of the most accurate shooters in NBA history clutch or not. With those two guys hogging the spotlight, Harden never really had to deal with having the opponent focus all their defense on stopping you. Hence he wasn't really able to step up his game to a new level until he left OKC.

There's also the salary aspect, which you seem to miss. Paying the max for a 6th man is just way too much, esp. when Harden-KD-WB-Ibaka isn't really all that effective. OKC basically got 2 lottery picks and a 6th man replacement for Harden, and thanks to that they don't have to worry about cap problems for the next 3-4 years. I'd say it worked out well for them.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not saying a clutchfans thread is equal to NBA 2nd team, wtf are you nuts? What I'm saying is a lot of guys weren't all that impressed with WB even before Harden was traded, so your opinion that everybody thought WB was the **** is wrong. A lot of guys aren't fans of his game, me included.

LOL who cares what the non-stat geek analysts think? Seriously, if on one side you had Chad Ford and Daryl Morey and on the other you had SAS and Charles Barkley which side would you pick? It's not just the stat geeks though, other guys like Bill Simmons definitely thought Harden was worth the max, esp. when he played a key role in OKC beating the spurs.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. FearTheBeardJH

Westbrook since all-star break: 31.5 PPG on 62.1 TS%, 6.2 RPG, 6.2 APG, 11 TOV%, 32.8 PER.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Good for him.
    Still prefer the beard though.

9. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Westbrook has been great lately, so has Marcus Thornton.

10. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

The trade was never about Harden vs Martin. It's Harden vs Martin+4 first round picks(consider Lamb as one and Bobcats second rounder even better than late first rounder)+huge financial relief(check Larry Coon's tweets about that - over 50 millions saved over next few years), not to mention the cap flexibility to strengthen team and more minutes/possesion for other players.

Even Morey repeatedly says how Presti got the best he can, and it's a win-win trade for both. Until we see how OKC use those picks and develop Lamb down the road, it's too hard and too early to judge. I feel they have great untapped potential in many of their prospects. Presti is the ultimate talent evaluator and OKC may have 5 to 6 allstars if most of them pan out later. Imagining an OKC dynasty lasting a decade or more...

Now back to Westbrook vs Harden. I think as of now they are about the same(Harden maybe slightly better on offense in spite of similar PER, and WB is better on defense). I often laugh at WB's mistakes, only to realize later he still manages to have such an impact on both ends of the floor. It's scary to think how good can he be if he somewhat matures and plays under control in the future.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This debate will forever be unknowable until we see Westbrook running his own team on a consistent basis, and that might never happen.

12. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

In the media, Westbrook takes all the blame for everything, including occasional cool-shooting of Durant, and Durant takes all the credit for everything, including Westbrook's steady great performances.

Harden is a very good player with great potential, and I love him more because he's on our team. But there is no denying that Westbrook is very very good filled with potential as well. You can talk about his "decision making" all you want to, but this guy has been improving year after year. The kid is averaging 7.8 assists per game this year, and some of you are complaining he's not a good PG?

At last night's game, Westbrook was simply unstoppable, and Lakers had no answer for him at all, not even close. He beat Kobe or Howard with dribble penetration at ease, and even beat them on offensive rebounds.

The kid has incredible desire to win, but he's humble and works hard every single game, and has never missed a game.

I am thankful that OKC couldn't afford Harden, and we could have him and now we are talking about playoffs. But still, OKC didn't make a mistake to keep Westbrook instead of Harden.

In my opinion, Westbrook will get much better comparing to current impressive level, in terms of skills and especially the control of the game.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

when i see westbrook and durant, i often think how steve's career might have turned out if he had a legit superstar next to him from the jump. steve and yao got along pretty well but i think steve's deficiencies were pretty much too ingrained by the time of yao's arrival. not a van gundy fan but i hoped he could instill some more discipline in him.

westbrook is developing and its nice to watch but when you're hooping with top five talent, you can do that and learn and grow with the team winning. you have more incentive to defer to teammates when they are better than you.

14. Fighton

Fighton Member

Offensively? or better overall player?

Offensively it's a wash. westbrook will score 40 and wow you with every shot and every drive to the basket. harden will score 40 without you even noticing it. both get the job done in very different ways on offense.

On defense - westbrook hands down.

Because of this Westbrook, as of today, is a better overall player than Harden. Harden really needs to work on his D - i'm sure he can be a great defensive player (he has shown it with quick hands and good anticipation) but gotta put in the effort.

15. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

To me WB and Harden are about a wash. Also agree with you about Durant getting all the credit and WB getting 0 credit and all the blame. I saw Durant guarding Chalmers in the finals and getting wrecked which caused the OKC to lose game 4. No one even mentioned his pitiful defense. All he did during that series was score(although at extreme efficiency). Pitiful rebounding, pitiful defense, at times passive but only WB got blamed. WB does not have very good bball IQ but he gives it his all every night which is in itself a talent.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

when he was in okc, harden was their stopper. harden is learning on the fly getting used to being the focal point, give him time, but i wouldn't say westbrook is a better player at this point because of defense. he is a really good defender, don't get me wrong

17. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

hahaha this is great!!2 thumbs up.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

is that teen wolf?

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Fresh Price of Bel Air

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

What do you mean by, "when he was in okc, harden was their stopper."?

As in, defensive stopper? :confused: