1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin best when he is primary scorer/ball handler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oelman44, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, no championship team is going to "cater" to letting the PG run the offense. :rolleyes:

All championship teams "cater" to all their rotation players. Great teams utilize ALL their players to the optimal, not just the star players. Look at the Spurs. They "cater" to Neal's 3pt shooting. How dare he shoots so many long balls when they have a HOFer playing inside!

2. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

There is a big difference between being the primary scorer and the primary ballhandler. I trust Lin to make decisions, as he has earned it. I think Lin would be perfectly happy never taking a shot and setting up his teammates the whole game. Of course Lin's decisionmaking is not perfect, but he's high on the list, and he's a PG.

3. munco

munco Member

Lin should be the primary ballhandler. He's our starting PG for god's sake. You don't have your starting PG camped out in the corner and relegated to being a jump shooter.

4. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

It's simple.. Jeremy Lin should be the primary ball handler and let him create for the team. That's his strength and the main reason why Morey gave him that contract. Plus, Harden is a better spot up shooter than Jeremy anyway.. I mean deadly.

Of course, you still run the Harden/Asik or Patterson pick and roll/pop but not so much that Lin becomes a liability on offense.

5. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Make Jeremy Rondo and Harden Pierce. Both are in their position and both get theirs.

I don't get why Harden has been anointed both PG and SG with Jeremy a natural PG pushed into a role of spot-up shooter.

Would it make sense for Boston to have Pierce play PG with Rondo spotting up? How about the Nets let Joe Johnson play PG and Deron plays spot-up.

Just makes no sense to me. Let players play the postion they are supposed to play. Harden can get buckets so let him focus on that with his playmaking abilities as a big bonus. Let Jeremy initiate the offense.

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

lol pretty good tweet

It's funny. Melo and Lin could've fit, Melo just couldn't share the spotlight. Harden and Lin look like willing partners but play the same.
    —Noam Schiller (@noamschiller) December 11, 2012

7. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Exactly, if the rox coaching staff didn't see this tonight then they are clueless. They gotta find the way for it to work. They just can't revert back to the way it was after tonight. They have to change their entire approach and find a way for it to work. I'd be massively disappointed if they continue to marginalize Lin.

8. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

+10000 exactly. I wish someone would ask the coaching staff why this can't happen?

9. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

maybe they are trying to tank... and let Lin and Harden work on their weaknesses...

10. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I agree with this. I also agree that if you have to depend on Lin as 2nd scorer, you probably don't have a championship team. However, I think Lin could be a solid PG on a championship team with a good SG and good big man who can catch and dunk because Lin will give him a ton of easy shots.

11. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

You are right on. Lin will be happy if he makes good passes, helps the team win and gets 12 to 15 points per game. That's his style really. But he needs to handle the ball to do that.

12. breakmon

breakmon Member

I agree. It only makes sense for the PG to be handling the ball.

13. Arthurprescott2

Can someone ban this guy for dragging up old threads for NO GOOD REASON? :mad:

14. breakmon

breakmon Member

This thread is only 15 days old... is that really a ban-able offense?

15. David Stern

David Stern Member

Will he ever have good enough handles to bring the ball up under full court pressure? It's a bad sign when your pg struggles with the most basic responsibilities of the position.

16. breakmon

breakmon Member

Do you have any recent examples of him struggling with this? I know he has in the past, but I haven't seen him in trouble like this recently.

17. Arthurprescott2

You've spent the last 2 days dragging up ONLY Jeremy Lin threads w/o having anything substantive to add to any of the threads so yea maybe this should be considered the last straw.

18. breakmon

breakmon Member

I'm a Rockets fan, but I'm also a Jeremy Lin fan, and I like discussing Jeremy Lin. Is that so bad? Why does everyone have to have the same views as you?

19. Arthurprescott2

Hey it's ok to be a Rockets fan and it's ok to be a Lin fan too. But if you don't have anything substantive to add to the forum maybe you shouldn't drag up old threads and clutter up the front page of GARM. You have some analysis you want to add? THAT'S FINE. But all you've been saying is basically "I agree Lin should handle the ball" "he's on a good run lately" etc.

What views of mine are you talking about? Do you know where I stand on anything about this team??

20. David Stern

David Stern Member

Haven't watched a game in about 3 weeks. Out of town. Just a general observation on what I've seen from Lin in the past which troubled me.