1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Merry Christmas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Dec 24, 2012.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I spend this anniversary and festival far from my country, far from my family, yet I cannot truthfully say that I feel far from home. Whether it be the ties of blood on my mother's side, or the friendships I have developed here over many years of active life, or the commanding sentiment of comradeship in the common cause of great peoples who speak the same language, who kneel at the same altars and, to a very large extent, pursue the same ideals, I cannot feel myself a stranger here in the centre and at the summit of the United States. I feel a sense of unity and fraternal association which, added to the kindliness of your welcome, convinces me that I have a right to sit at your fireside and share your Christmas joys.

This is a strange Christmas Eve. Almost the whole world is locked in deadly struggle, and, with the most terrible weapons which science can devise, the nations advance upon each other. Ill would it be for us this Christmastide if we were not sure that no greed for the land or wealth of any other people, no vulgar ambition, no morbid lust for material gain at the expense of others, had led us to the field. Here, in the midst of war, raging and roaring over all the lands and seas, creeping nearer to our hearts and homes, here, amid all the tumult, we have tonight the peace of the spirit in each cottage home and in every generous heart.

Therefore we may cast aside for this night at least the cares and dangers which beset us, and make for the children an evening of happiness in a world of storm. Here, then, for one night only, each home throughout the English-speaking world should be a brightly-lighted island of happiness and peace.

Let the children have their night of fun and laughter. Let the gifts of Father Christmas delight their play. Let us grown-ups share to the full in their unstinted pleasures before we turn again to the stern task and the formidable years that lie before us, resolved that, by our sacrifice and daring, these same children shall not be robbed of their inheritance or denied their right to live in a free and decent world.

And so, in God's mercy, a happy Christmas to you all.

-Winston Churchill

1 person likes this.
  2. David Stern

David Stern Member

TL;DR

In Prague

3. Orange

Orange Member

I wish someone else made this thread :mad::mad:

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Winston Churchill is a filthy dog who is exactly where he belongs right now. It's a shame that you had to tarnish a Christmas thread with his name.

To everyone, Merry Christmas! I hope you have a great one, and spend it exactly how you would like to spend it!

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

No worries, since it's Churchill's words and not basso's anyway, just pretend Mr. Churchill started this thread.

Although it is rather odd that mr basso would choose to use Churchill's Christmas address after the Pearl Harbour attack in 1941.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm not really sure that If a zombie winston churchill started This thread that we would feel better

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'll drink a glass of port tomorrow to commemorate your view on the great man.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This is a troll thread from the biggest troll on Clutchfans.

I'd like to think Basso was genuine in wishing people a merry Christmas, even through Winston's words, but when I consider the absolute ****ery of the poster, it's obvious that this is yet another troll thread.

Regardless, happy holidays to all.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I see that some of you are not infused with The Holiday Spirit...

10. basso

Supporting Member

for those of you looking for something charitable to donate to this holiday season, here's a worthy contender:

http://www.oneacrefund.org/

11. basso

Supporting Member

i think i'll try a flip (predecessor to egg nog):

2 oz ruby port
    1 tsp sugar
    1 raw egg

place in cocktail shaker, shake 2 minutes, pour into old fashion glass. garnish with nutmeg.

cheers.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P64tdKrQiY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Merry Christmas basso! Merry Christmas Winston Churchill!

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well I guess it makes sense for a Christmas thread in the D&D.

This seems more fitting.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qTx-sdR6Yzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Happy Holidays to you too basso!

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is a strange Christmas Eve. Almost the whole world is locked in deadly struggle...
    _____

Yes, basso you and your goofball political party are locked in the fight of your lives... and the war on terror is just like WWII.

May god bless us all.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Merry Christmas basso

My first without both parents. Hug tight those who mean something to you.

Here's wishing peace to those in torment, health to the infirm, serenity for the afflicted.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's how Mathloon talks about humans he does not like - dehumanizing. Tells you about someone's worldview and general attitude.

Reminds me of a scene of some movie where some terrorist with an Arabic accent keeps saying "I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE".

De mortuis nihil nisi bene.

Merry Christmas, Mathloom.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Comeon man. That is just too far, and not in this thread.

Merry christmas to all!

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is in the D&D.

If you want a happy, lovey thread, the Hangout is a better location.

And the rightwinger again goes with the WWII theme. It's like a fetish. They SOOOOO wish they were living in their fantasy world version of 1942. It's like history began in 1939 and everything since has been a disappointment.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's German guilt. He's just happy they put Israel in Palestine instead of stealing Munich.