1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

6th grader brings Gun to school to prevent attack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 18, 2012.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...ol-protect-against-connecticut-215442104.html

Looks like he has logic aligned with our republican posters on the board. More guns in the school would apparently protect them.

A sixth-grader at West Kearns Elementary School near Salt Lake City, Utah, brought a gun to school on Monday, saying he wanted to protect himself and his friends after Friday's shooting in Newtown, Conn.

He "continues to assert that he brought the weapon to protect himself and his friends from a 'Connecticut-style [shooting],'" Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said.

Two of the 11-year-old's classmates told their teacher on Monday afternoon that the student had a gun. The teacher immediately "apprehended" the student and contacted the authorities, Horsley said. The boy is being charged with one count of possession of a firearm on school property and three counts of aggravated assault, for allegedly threatening some of his classmates.

He will be charged in the juvenile system and eventually will be transferred to another school.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Dam this is starting to get way out of hand.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This society has jumped the shark.

1 person likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

a sixth grader managed to get around gun regulations, but don't worry, if we ban guns that will stop adults from going on shooting rampages.....

I'm sure gang members and violent criminals are shaking in their boots at the possibility of more gun regulation.

5. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

What I fear is when we start allowing teachers to bring guns to class. Teachers will have bad days, guaranteed... especially in High School and in cities like Oakland.

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Isn't this what you wanted? More guns around schools?

7. tallanvor

cops have bad days too.

Why would I want kids to have guns?

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If one of the kids had been armed, they could have protected themselves from the gunman.

9. Kyakko

Cops are trained to handle the pressure and to use guns. Are you suggesting teachers go through Police academies. I have no problems.. actually,,,,encourage schools to have the police in schools, but teachers with guns?? smh. I've seen more than a few teachers lose it during HS, and it's mostly because of kids fault.

10. tallanvor

Yes, teachers should be trained in handling firearms. One/Two teachers at each school should do some training to handle firearms. Especially if no cops are available.

Anyways what would training have to do with a bad day? A teacher has a bad day and decides to blow away some kids. That's what you were suggesting right? Training has nothing to do with that. Controlling your emotions is more universal than that.

11. Northside Storm

You were unsatisfied with the status quo, and wanted schools to have gun zones where trained teacher GI Joes would hunt down murderous psychos.

Surely, it never occurred to you that children might acquire those weapons, whether through intent or on accident?

12. Kyakko

That's just a bad bad idea... It sounds good saying it, but I can see a teacher, while chances are small, just going crazy, especially in inner cities. Its one of those good intents that's bound to go wrong.

13. tallanvor

'hunt down'? clearly you are even keeled.

14. tallanvor

Why? we give cops guns. They can have bad days too. Just as capable of going nuts.

15. Northside Storm

About as even keeled as someone who reacted to a mass shooting by clamoring for more guns.

16. Kyakko

I donno... like I said, it's a good intent that's bound to go bad, like cop having a bad day and beating a suspect. I've seen heated exchanges between student and teachers would make you just say "wow". A student threw the ball of a mouse at a teacher and a teacher YELLING threats. Cops have had bad days and made fatal mistakes in the past. Imagine that with teachers and rooms full of kids.

#16 Kyakko, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Has anyone considered the possibility that the kid's parent was somehow involved? Unless someone is selling guns to school kids...

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Tell me you are not equating peace officers trained in guns and public protection to school teachers who are trained to educate our children...

19. tallanvor

Kyakko and I were comparing police officers and teachers who have been trained in firearms. Read the thread.

Again, training would have nothing to do with shooting at someone in a moment of rage. All humans are equally vulnerable to fits of rage. This is what Kyakko suggested.

20. Northside Storm

...I don't understand this train of thought at all.

For example, it would be easier just to post a police officer in every school in America, rather than to train a whole separate caste of warrior-teachers.

Sick days? Substitutes? I don't think you've thought it out very much.