1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2PAT & PARSONS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thegary, Nov 10, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

There are a couple of promising power forwards on the bench. Give the coaching staff and the players a season to figure everything out. Even Morey will be intently watching the games and film. The Rockets are the youngest team in the league. Did you really expect them to be in the playoffs???

2. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I really don't think Patrick Patterson will be here much longer! He might finish out the season but I think we are going after Josh Smith this summer! Unless of course we trade for him at the deadline!

3. Dynex Dreamin

Dynex Dreamin Member

I agree completely...they have both improved this season and I am excited to see what they look like in a genuine offense.

4. trowa

trowa Member

parsons+2pat for mkg please.
    jk, no one is stupid like that

5. King Boo

King Boo Member

Parsons is solid; when he gets his shot back he's a great fit with the starting lineup. Good wing defenders are really underrated, and he's a great hustle player.

I've got no love for 2Pat though, especially when we have some high-prospect rookies that should be getting some burn behind him. He doesn't have much upside, and I hate power forwards who don't rebound and are too lazy to set screens for their guards. Free Terrence Jones! Free D-Mo! Free Royce White!

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like your post. Well said.

7. devin23

devin23 Member

Patterson is not a starting PF. His rebounding and FG efficiency is attrocious.

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

hell no parsons is young as hell. patterson sucks on the defensive side and rebounding side of the ball.

9. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Parsons is still very young and this is barely starting his 2nd NBA campaign. Parsons plays his role as a athletic energy defensive player that chips in on the offensive end on broken plays. He does a very good job and he is this year Rocket's Shane Battier type player who is capable of guarding good wing players. We shouldn't expect Parsons to be a 15+ ppg type player but anywhere near 10 ppg or above is great. I think Parsons and Asik does a good job anchoring the Rockets defense.

Patrick Patterson on the other hand has been incredibly frustrating. Unlike Parsons who tries to be aggressive, Patterson is incredibly soft. He is strong as a bull but plays like a butterfly. He attempted more 3s than FT attempted. That says alot about our starting PF. It means that he's not being aggressive in the paint and just camp out and take jump shots. That's why the defense were able to easily shadow Harden and leave Patrick and Asik wide open because they don't really cut or move around stand there. They may set a screen for James but it doesn't do anything because the defense would just double Harden anyway because they don't care about Patrick Patterson at all.

He may score double digits points but he is still not anywhere near a threat for opposing team. Opposing team much rather Patrick Patterson take easy open shots than Harden taking contested ones. He has taken a step back since his rookie season where he was at least much more aggressive. But it seems as years went by, he has gotten less aggressive. Patrick Patterson has not let his presence be known on the court at all. He can score on mid range to 3 point jump shots all he want, the defense would probably still not notice him at all.

Patrick Patterson really need to get in the post more, and play more aggressively in the paint rather than take jumpshots. With him in the paint and scoring in the post aggressively, the defense would respect him a lot more and pay more attention to him and less on Harden, but with him continuing to camp out and just take jump shots, the defense can't care less about him.

Either the coaching staff does something about this or the Rockets can just package Patrick along with some other pieces for a young rising Forward that demands the attention of the defense when he's on the court also.

10. split41

split41 Member

I'm in the same boat, as Mr. Clutch. Parsons has still got upside imo.

11. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Had Asik have an average offensive game, the Rockets would be able to absorb the lack of offensive production from 3 & 4 spots. The reality is the Rockets has no low-post offense, so other team can just jam the lane to shut down the penetration, reduce the Rockets to a jump shoot team, that's exactly what the Memphis, Denver did.

2Pat is too small for 4, that's evident from his lack of rebounding. Parson is too slow to play 3, as you can see from the Denver game. The Rockets cannot afford to play both of them at the same time, they desperately need someone who can score in the low-post, that will open up the back court penetration.

12. AbrahamLincoln

Easy now. Only Jones deserves to be freed from the bench. He rebounded and blocked shots and showed he had some offensive game. Royce has not proved much and either has D-Mo. This is the NBA. Players have to earn their playing time. Those 2 have earned nothing.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Patrick can be a good defensive PF all he wants, that still does not help the fact that only Harden is a threat in our starting lineup, basically the entire team. There's basically no one else on this team besides Harden that the opposing team really worries about. They would leave Patrick, Asik and Parsons at times to just swarm Harden.

Patrick may be a good defensive player but that's not what we need right now. The Rockets are struggling to get the offense going and scoring the ball. Asik is not a threat at all and he has never been a threat on the offensive end so I'm not really going to rip him up. But Patrick is able to score and play more aggressive so his presence can be felt on the offensive end but he has been incredibly soft. I mean, what kind of a PF that has attempted over 10 three pointers and almost ZERO FT/attempts?

Seriously, defense is not a big concern right now. It doesn't matter how well they can play defense, you can't win ball games if you don't score. You got to give up something to gain something else. Right now, the Rockets should give up a defensive PF to gain a scoring Forward. Right now the Rockets need someone else other than Harden to score the basketball and I really feel as if Delfino may be the best scorer on this team besides Harden and Lin ( who's really not that big of a threat to score the ball)

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I know defense is the most important thing for contenders but right now the Rockets are not contenders and their offense is desperately needed much more than defense right now. Watching Houston play team defense isn't that bad, but when it comes to getting rebounds or lose ball, to getting a decent offensive play to run is just frustrating. Its almost like trying to find water in the desert when it comes to the Rockets able to find a rhythm in their offensive play. Its just nonexistent.

Right now, the Rockets offense is composed of Harden or Lin with the ball playing ISO or maybe a P&R that is not really effective since the defense would just double the ball handler anyway knowing that the player that's rolling is not an offensive threat at all, not along able to catch a tough pass. That's really how bad the Rockets defense are. Teams have already caught on to James Harden. They would just swarm him every game knowing that everyone else is not a scoring threat. Plus I'm sure all the coaches in the NBA know that McHales' offense isn't that hard to figure out anyway...

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

The Rockets aren't using Lin properly there is a reason why he isn't as much of a threat to score. He shouldn't be at the base line spotting up shooting 3's. He should be at the top. He needs space to attack that is his entire game. His USG is also really low considering the construct of the team. It should be higher. He had 10 shot attempts last night. It is really frustrating to watch.

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Just a quick ? I think everyone can agree that Patterson is 15 min a game role player, but would you rather have Jordan hill or Patterson as a energy role player big?

Last yr a lot of people hated when hill was in the game and thought it was taking away from pattersons development but I think time has shown again that you should always keep the taller better athlete if both players potential are that of a role player. A year later and I think I would rather have hill player 15 min a night he was the better player last yr and the better player this yr atleast he can rebound.

17. trowa

trowa Member

idk, they were both bad, but we do have promising rookies this year

18. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Based on ability? Jordan Hill. In the real world though? Patterson.

The Rockets are a classy organization and value character in their players as well as ability. That's why Jordan Hill has been a journeyman even though he's young. It's because he's the type to not give good effort on the court and then blow off some steam by choking a woman.

Same reason Houston would never trade for Tyreke Evans, who possibly murdered somebody, or sign Chris Andersen, who may or may not be a pedophile and back on heroin.

There are limits to these things. Firm limits.

19. shoops

shoops Member

Lol Pat is actually younger than Parsons. Yep.

The problem with Pat is that he definitely plays too small, getting outrebounded by Lin is kinda sad for a PF. He's really not bad, but he ain't great either, more suited as a backup. Probably gonna get traded away is my guess.

I think if Parsons can polish his shot he'll be very solid.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So many of the threads right now are crazy. We have, what, 11 new players? Think about that. Basically no continuity from last year. Patterson was hurt, Morris didn't play, and Parsons has to adapt to essentially a whole new crew. I'm not at all surprised that we aren't playing well. I'm disappointed, of course, but not surprised. I don't know what people expected, but in my opinion, we have to give the team time to learn each other's game, learn the system, assuming there is one. I'd like to see Jones and White get some time, just to see what they can do. I'd like to see Morey get some bench depth, and those two are at least an option for the 3/4. I'd love to see Smith back on the court.

I think the coaching, or lack there of, that we're seeing is a legitimate gripe, but hammering the young players, in my opinion, is simply silly at this early stage of the season.