1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 11/9/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 8, 2012.

1. King Boo

King Boo Member

Rockets play Detroit tomorrow, so it's more like "see you tomorrow".

This forum is getting to ESPN comment section cancer levels.

2. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Would you enlighten us more about McHale's schemes and how they are impeding Lin from being Linsanity?

Lin is not playing like before for a number of reasons. Rockets don't have a shooter like Novak. Rockets don't have a center who runs PnR like Chandler. McHale has little to do with Lin's poor plays.

3. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

To be honest, I don't think the win is a given. Detroit handled us well at home. IF it wasn't for Defino going off like NOvak, we would've lost that game.

I just do not like the way our offense is flowing right now, the most indicative of this being the amount of TO's.

I am unsure what type offense McHale is trying to run as he seems to be mad in post game conferences that people are not doing what he is preaching, but I really have a bad feeling about this game as well.

4. maximus1234

maximus1234 Member

cuz the offense is built for harden not lin,,,,,,,,
    when harden got here,,,,, he was telling everyone he is the main option for the team. the offense hase to go through him..... not lin........ everyone was playing harden team ball, not lin pointguard ball,... how can lin adjust during the game when he was play with ballhog, the energy level is next to nada.
    I dont like woodson, but i have to praise him for telling the knicks to play team ball,..... no ego,
    right now james harden has egooooo. he want to make a statement, its so freaking obvious... all u dumb freaking fan are blind.
    seriously blind.

5. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Bring in Coach D. Rockets need a coach to preach offenisive schemes. Too bad Kenny Atkinson signed with Atlanta as Lin publicly credited him for his development during his Knicks tenure. He would call Atkinson at midnight and when Lin went in the next morning, the tape would be ready. Since then, those two have become close.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...les-lakers/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a3

6. torocan

torocan Member

Context.

In the first game Lin was never on the floor without Harden. Harden had some minutes with TD and the bench (which lowered his +/-).

The problem is when you break up their play on court time, Lin and Harden become isolated for prolonged stretches... the entire defense shifts to them. This in itself isn't a huge problem, except it's clear that they're still working on integrating screens and picks into the offense properly. There were more curls and cuts today, but still VERY few effective picks and screens/double screens.

This forces Lin or Harden to pass out of the double team and rely on PPat and others to generate offense.

It's going to take time to integrate the more sophisticated offensive sets.

If you actually watch the Knicks games (or OKC games) from last year closely, you'll notice that Harden and Lin call for picks and screens often, and sometimes they're calling for staggered screens. This ensures that they have multiple options to break coverage, outlet options for rolling offensive players, places to drop and shoot, as well as gives them an advantage to brush off defenders.

The main difference we saw between the Memphis offense and ours is that they were regularly brushing/screening our defenders, but we weren't doing the same.

It's not going to happen overnight. We should hopefully continue to see more as they gain experience and additional practice time between games.

7. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I was going to say the same thing. There is less offensive threats on this team or I should say consistent offensive threats.

8. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I would like to say it again .... He lost 10 lbs in this off season...it really "hurts".

9. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

I think I made my point clear but what I am seeing is Lin passing the ball to Harden and spotting up in the corner for the three. There are even plays where he doesn't even touch the ball.

It is a well known fact that D'antoni offense gives the point guard the free reign to run the offense. IT seems to me that Mchale wants the harden to be the PG with lin being the spot up shooter in the corner.

Perhaps, its Mchales way of limiting Lin's TO but really it seems to be hampering his game.

You may be right in saying that Lin is a marginal player and I think I was beginning to believe that the first three quarter of this game. But the way Lin was able to step up makes me think its the current scheme he is struggling to learn to play

10. pnr

pnr Member

Oh my god, it's one freaking game against a very good Grizzlies team. People need to chill the eff out.

11. duteman

duteman Member

Man is it hardens fault the play is iso all the time. It not lins fault either. Expecting harden to create a basket for 15s alone is stupid then expecting the others to create a basket with 5s left on the clock is equally stupid. If you saw late in the fourth where they actually ran set plays with motion there was production vs the iso sets for harden or lin.

Mchale is a turd coach and there's no evidence to prove otherwise

12. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

These reasons are of secondary importance. Mainly because his body is not longer 100% fit to play in a high "Linsanity" level in the NBA.

#1 He lost his quickest 1st step due to knee surgery(not a big deal but still a lost).
    #2 He lost 10 lbs cuz it will be good for his knees.

13. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

To be honest, I do not think the drop off is due to a 10 lbs weight loss but if this is the case, then he needs to gain the weight back. As long as he is not playing over 40minutes a game in a short time period as he was doing during Lisianity, his knee should hold up fine.

14. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Lin is lack of a nice crossover skill set so he needs those 10 lbs to beat his man when he is driving to the hoops. Those 10 lbs is saving his career/knees but hurting his game.

15. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I definitely blame management and coaches for telling Harden that. Not Harden's fault if he's been told this is your team, you're the man, etc. This team was desperate for a "star" player and they went for one who is so far is pretty marginal "star" player. I really do hope he gets his game back like the first two games, it's will only be good for the team.

16. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Actually a very insightful post by someone possibly working in the physiotherapy/sports industry.

17. mirus

mirus Member

Care 2 help translate it ?if no i'll do it:grin:

18. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

quote from http://www.webcitation.org/mainframe.php

19. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Well I wrote that article/comments. I am NOT working in the physiotherapy/sports industry though. :grin:

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rockets are getting pushed around. Harden is the only guy out there who's space is respected by defenders, and even he is getting swarmed.

Lin/Parsons/Asik are all of a slim build and PP acts like it. They need to insert guys like Smith and Jones, possibly White. Their attitude is all wrong. They're trying too hard not to hit/foul, which takes away any aggressiveness in their play. They're not holding their ground well with the ball either.

Small AND weak ball won't get it done. Free Jones and White, both will open up Harden's game because they can do more with the ball than pass it back to him, which the D should know.