1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be coaching the Rox this time next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wcsdt23, Jan 30, 2003.

1. wcsdt23

wcsdt23 Member

1. Who will be coaching the Rox this time next year?

- and -

2. Who would you like to have coaching the Rox this time next year?

I say,

1. Rudy T

2. Van Gundy

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Rudy...by far.

3. WLH

WLH Member

1. Rudy T.
    2. Rudy T.
    3. Rudy T. has been a part of this franchise since back in the San Diego days. I became a fan in 1977 at the age of 6 and he was already entrenched as a player then. He has served us as player(All-Star calibre), scout, and assistant coach as well as head coach, in fact the only head coach of any sport to ever bring a world championship to my beloved Houston. And he did it twice. Quit your damn b****ing and give him a little more time, and he will bring us a few more championships.

4. AT

AT Member

If we don't have to pay for him....Van Gundy seems like a great candidate.

Personally, I think he overachieved with chronically weak Knicks teams during his tenure there.

I say clean house except for Mr. Mean.

We clearly need a new X's and O's man.

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

Alex DeLarge.

6. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

BILL WALTON

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Tommy "Get that streetball crap outta here, play some D and get your arse runnin' on the Break" Heinsohn. Assisted by the most highly regarded offensive mind in college basketball today.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Man, VG after Rudy T? Culture shock, fellas, culture shock!!!

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

THE ONE, THE ONLY...

[​IMG]

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have no idea who will be coaching next year but we don't make it to the playoffs Rudy should be removed as the coach. I think getting these young players to play as a team and to utilize their maximum potential is probably the biggest challange in Rudy's career apart from motivating the team to win the 2nd Championship from a 6th seeding.

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

:D

A week or two ago he mentioned what a great dancer he is. My wife and I were in a corporate box at a Springsteen concert in LA a few years ago and saw doofus on the floor. He was gyrating to...well, not to the music we were listening to.

Its was absolutely scary how bad he was. Elaine would put him to shame.

12. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Who do I want?

1. George Karl!! I know, I know, he probably has a lengthy
    contract with Milwaukee...

2. Rick Barnes

Who will be here?

1. Rudy

2. Mr. Mean

3. Calvin Murphy

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

If we make the playoffs - Rudy T

If we don't - The great Mark Brown.

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'd like to see Mario Elie hired as a assistant coach on this team. Word is, he's looking for a coaching job, I think he could be another players' coach like Doc Rivers and Bryan Scott.

15. bury3

bury3 Member

What is Scott Skiles doing now? Is he a bad coach?

16. javilo

javilo Member

I would like Paul Westphal or Wesphal to be our coach, Do any of you remember the 93 suns team.....He did a great job with those guys, It wasnt his fault the team fell apart after that, They were always in the playoffs after that but We.....Meaning the 94 & 95 rockets knocked them off. Just my opinion.

17. haven

haven Member

I like Van Gundy, personally. If he could win with Spreewell and Houston (identical players, and not even of the Francis/Mobley quality), then he could certainly win with our team.

18. carayip

carayip Member

Van Gundy's not a good choice. I seem to remember that Sprewell and Houston played a lot of isos during their Finals run and also they couldn't coexist with Ewing at all. Van Gundy's offensive game is no different to that of Rudy IMO.

19. haven

haven Member

carayip:

You might be right. I've never watched much Knicks basketball... too painful. That Spurs-Knicks Finals was the most boring in my memory (friends tell me the Rockets-Knicks finals was equally bad, but I'm biased there).

Still, he got good results with crappy players which is all I know about him. It's hard - all the master tacticians I know of at the NBA level wouldn't want to leave. To be honest, I'd rather have Jerry Sloan than anybody else... but could you imagine him leaving Utah? And we all know how unreliable going to the college ranks is.

In my wildest dreams, we'd hire Coach K from Duke, since I couldn't imagine him failing at anything coaching-wise. I imagine that'd be impossible, though.

Just for laughs, I like to imagine how Mobley would react to Bobby Knight. That would be a fun lockeroom after the first game.

20. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

it has disturbed and threatened to ruin my day to see people claiming they'd prefer Jeff Van Gundy to Rudy Tomjanovich.

Jeff.

Van.

Gundy.

I can't believe I share a team with you people.