1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top Blown Rocket Championship Runs..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jimmyv281, Nov 8, 2012.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

@ tinman as well...... I agree about our first round was way off, but if we could have won that game 7, I think we would have gone to the championship. Also, I have to agree ...... Bird and the Celtics had the league in the palms of their hands they were really the better team in 81 and 86.

2. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

Reading this thread just makes me angry

3. VanityHalfBlack

Boozer was hittin Jumpers in Yao's face all series and freaking Krilenko had some blocks on Yao.. We were up 2-0 as well as the Dallas game back in 04 too and we still choked, lol... I can understand why the attendance is pure dog ****, we suck....

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Really?

Really?

Come on now.

This game still bothers me to this day. This game, I'm taking this to my grave. I thought this team was really good, and had a shot at making some noise. Were they title contenders? I don't know about that, but I know the Rockets were going to make noise that year.

Rockets went 52-30, only FOUR teams had better records. The Rockets had the fifth best record in the entire League. Only Detroit, who was one game better was the 1 seed in the east, Phoenix, San Antonio and Dallas had better records in the west.

I liked our chances vs Dallas in the next round. And Golden State too.

Yao kicked ass. McGrady kicked ass.

Luther Head was Luther. Scotty the Body! And we had crazy ass Kirk Snyder. The supporting cast sucked ass. Yao and Tracy carried that team. That was the last time Yao and Tracy were really good together. The following season, Yao was still good, but his body started to break down.

I think we could have made it to the west finals, and put up a good fight vs San Antonio. They just needed that third wheel. Shane and chuck are good, but they're good role players.

When that game was over, I didn't move out of my seat for about 15 or 20 minutes. I was in total shock. It was sadness. I was angered. I was frustrated. I didn't know what to say, or how to react.

Why couldn't someone, anyone get the rebound.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

was that 81 team even good? They went 40-42, which was good for sixth in the west.

6. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

I'm surprised nobdoy said the year Rockets had Artest, Yao & TMac A CHAMPIONSIP TEAM too bad injuries really ruined them

7. kinein

kinein Member

[​IMG]

Excellent thread, I love this time travel thread!!!

8. ApuN

ApuN Member

Ah hahaha! +1

Just too many "youngins"...

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

did I wake up in 2007 again?

10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

"Great........Scott"

11. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Yao was still too soft at that time and our role players weren't good enough.

Now the year we got Artest, you could say was probably a blown Finals team at least. If T-Mac's knee didn't give out and Yao didn't go down, that year I'd say we would have won the West at the very least. That team on paper was stacked.

12. jbasket

jbasket Member

'93 - supersonics... nuff said :(
    '86 - john lucas suspended and inconsistent play by ralph sampson. on a side note, the officials took away olajuwon with three bad calls to stop his rampage on "the greatest frontline" in game one. Could of had a MUCH different outcome. Still mad about those calls.
    '08 - injuries to the team. I don't care what tmac haters say, this year they had great depth, great defence, two go-to guys, and artest (he is his own category). There was no reason if we took LA to seven with artest as our main guy (along with aaron brooks) that we could win with our stars. Yao Ming had a great first game

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't know if we needed McGrady or not, but it sure as hell would help.

The Rockets should have won that division, but in typical Houston sports team mode, they lost an important game and ended up 5th instead of 3rd.

That team had depth. That team had Lowry and Landry. Deke was tall, Chuck was Chuck, and we had Brian Cook.

14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

carlos boozer > yao ming

'nuff said

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

'97 and a healthy '08 team

17. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

The reason why we didn't win that year, because we werent that good. Chuck Hayes was an overachiver, but not that great, Yao and Tracy were elite at that time, and Battier was a good role player and could lock down on defense.

I don't know if you remember those days, but outside of Yao and Tracy, our offense was ANEMIC. Sometimes as years past you forget a lot of the negatives and only remember the positives, unfortunately we just weren't NBA-champion material there. I believe we underachieved that year, but still weren't deserving of an NBA crown.

The only year I think we had a legit shot was the 22 game win streak year, and the reason why we went down was because of injuries. Had we stayed healthy, and could have rested T-Mac a little more through the regular season, we would have made a deep run in the playoffs. The year we got Artest we could of had a deep run as well, had injuries not happen. But I think those two years we had a better chance then the JVG days. I actually love JVG but our offense was brutal under him (outside of Yao and Tracy).

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I agree the streak year was awesome then Yao went down and we had the Jazz again, where we had to witness bobby jackson hoisting it up.

19. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

i think we were 10th in offensive effiency that year...

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

No mention so far of 'The Bear Hug'/John Stockton eviscerating Matt Maloney?