1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict the 2016 Presidential Nominees

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by white lightning, Nov 7, 2012.

1. VanityHalfBlack

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No way it's Huntsman. I doubt he wastes his time in 2016. The nature of the beast is serious nominees have to tow the orthodox line on the vast majority of issues. Sorry.

The tea party will be far from extinct in 2016. It's demise is being greatly exaggerated here. Look for increased nastiness from GOP senators who face re-election in 2014 and want to avoid primary challenges from tea party candidates. Akin and Mourdock blowing seats this year won't deter them any more than O'Donnell or Angle did in 2010.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

cuomo vs Pence

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I'd vote for Huntsman, but as you said, he isn't getting out of the primary even if he pulls a Romney.

5. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Sadly, moderate candidates or candidates who don't tow the party line have almost zero chance to win in the primaries - Dem or Repub. They must cater to their base. Thus, even though folks like Christie, Huntsman, etc. would do well in the general and (IMO) make good presidents...they have very little chance of success in the R primaries i.e. being nominated in the first place.

If Hillary runs in 2016, she will very likely defeat any Republican candidate who actually has a decent shot of getting nominated. And it would probably be in a landslide. The best (as in who would make the best presidents and best appeal to independents and moderates) Repub candidates probably won't make it past the New Hampshire primary.

6. jocar

jocar Member

And stop calling me Shirley.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't really have anything to base this on, but I'll predict that Rand Paul will be the nominee for the Republicans. I think this will be the Republican Party's attempt to court the libertarian-leaning folk.

As for the Democrats, I have no idea. I think (hope) Hillary's time has come and gone. So I'll go just say it'll be a woman.

#47 Haymitch, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  8. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

Elizabeth Warren

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Mitch, you need to start associating more with a few non-libertarians who makeup about 98% of the population. Rand is a nut job who will scare the crap out most folks who like social security, medicare, public education. In addition most GOP voters love foreign wars and Rand is sort of weak there, though being political he is no Ron Paul.

Rand can of course count on big money from the usual tax avoiding billionaires, but he is sort of personally nerdy.

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Dems: White guy and Julian Castro as VP
    Repubs: White guy and Marco Rubio as VP

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

North Dakota, Montana and Indiana all elected moderate Democratic senators. You can win as a moderate in the Democratic Party. It's the Republicans that wont tolerate anyone except a die-hard conservative.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

not to mention the army of supporters that kept his father well funded

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Rand is quite comfortable in hostile environments

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:419755" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-3-2012/exclusive---rand-paul-extended-interview-pt--1">The Daily Show with Jon Stewart</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I can't deny that I am out of touch with the average American voter. But here's something I saw today that I thought was interesting.

Battleground states Romney lost and by how much, then Ron Paul Primary vote total:

New Hampshire by 33746; Ron Paul's Primary vote total - 56848
    Florida by 46039; 117100
    Ohio by 100763; 113256
    Virginia by 106726; 107451

NH(4) + Florida(29) + Ohio(18) + Virginia(13) = 64
    Romney (206 total) + 64 = 270

Not saying that Ron Paul would have won, but maybe there are more people who ally with his ideas more than you think.

::EDIT::

I don't want this to sound like I'm a fan of Rand. His support of Romney is, for me, unforgiveable.

#54 Haymitch, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm supposed to fertilize my lawn, spread it around. Something like that. ;-)-

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Doesn't have to be. They just can't try to hide him away because he isn't afraid to speak his mind and express views that go against the Republican party. They need guys like that to be a part of the overall team.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Christie/Rubio if they're smart, Northerner and a minority could probably help in major cities and bluer states anywhere in the country.

I don't know what Dems do, I think Hillary in 2016 is like McCain in '08; and as an ex-Secretary of State she's gonna have some awesome NGO opportunities for a grandmother in NYC. Honestly what a great payoff for easily the most disgustingly maligned (and legally persecuted) First Lady in history.

18. Grape_Swisha281

John F Kennedy III because thats what "they" want

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

A little too marmy, would rather see her as liberal Condoleeza or on the Court; get her away from populist consumer finance and onto legal/international affairs as soon as possible.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why would they try to hide him? Nobody gives a care what Huntsman says except a precious few internet posters. His support is negligible.