1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Marketing hurts attendance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by darin1998, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Can I call a shot or what!

BTW Tim, HeyPartner has a recommendation for you...

2. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I thought the Powerdancers were just being used as a way to promote PETA via ANIMALS HAVE RIGHTS shirts that they wear.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

They are kids. They give promise for the youth of America.

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

The only right animals have is right in my mouth. :D

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I blame Steve Francis for the Rockets' marketing problem...

6. Rollinrockets

Rollinrockets Member

No No No! Cant you see its Rudy T's fault! Get riddy of Rudy! :rolleyes:

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

if this what crowds think, then the BBSers seems out of place to comment on the topic considering their opposite views on importance of uglyness v winning

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

DD, i usually respect what you have to say but the Spurs are the most boring team to watch in the world. Even though, I would give anyone of the Rockets up for Duncan except for Yao, he is the most boring player in the world to watch. Even spurs fans I know admit they are boring, but they don't care because the spurs win. Like I said before, winning cures all ills. How else would you explain a JAZZ fan. ;)

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I bet no one knew the "defensive" pistons of the late 80's scored over 100pts per game and gave up almost 100. Now thats called not playing defense.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Tim,

Thanks for the post. I think it's great that the Rockets Org shows their fans respect by posting here.

One thing we've questioned in our household is whether we will ever feel as close to this team as the 90's squad(s), or even earlier. I'm not certain what the recipe is to build this bond, probably a mix of things, but sounds like some of your ads are moving in the right direction (I haven't seen them since we're in Austin).

We feel Yao was a great addition from that perspective because it is easy to root for him. Some of the other players...been there for a few years and still don't feel like we 'know' them. We like'm, just don't know'm.

Fan since '73.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, but that was in a time when teams would routinely score in the 120's. I remember seeing the Rockets and Nuggests in 1987 and the final score in triple OT was something like 143 to 138. :eek:

12. skymaster187

skymaster187 Member

Rockets make the mistake of not catering to bigger guys who wear sizes XXL an XXXL

They send out the tux and tennies invitations with the chance to get a T-shirt but they fail to mention that the $25 T-shirt only comes in XL.

Even at the giveaways the shirts range from medium to large.
    Total insult to the season ticket holders who can't fit in a Large T.

If your gonna cater to the fans you cater to ALL big or small, While I do admit the marketing Dept does cut corners and it does need work.

When the Magic come to town that will be retro rockets jersey night, so everyone will have a chance to see Steve and Yao in a retro jersey from the Hakeem years.
    Rockets High Five Club Needs work to.
    And a few things I have noticed as well is that upper prom fans get the shaft, Turbo can't shoot a sling shot to save his life.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats true Jeff,but those same rockets of the hakeem championship era scored over 100pts per game also.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

leebigez, I bet you didn't know that the Pistons held Boston, Milwaukee, and Chicago to 90.0 point average in the first 13 games of their playoff drive in 1989, and none of them cleared 100 pts. The Lakers cleared 100 twice in the Piston sweep.

What exactly are you saying their team defense ppg average was in 1989?

Yeah, you called those commercials.

We need you man. I was just venting after your fan turnover thread. But I'm a true AB fan, but sometimes real fans just bash their council team members when so much is at stake. I still have faith in Tim putting a good team on the floor on a consistent basis, keeping our focus, and keeping our morale up. It's not his fault when we experience our own Rockets fan turnovers any more than it is Rudy's fault that we play "ghetto ball" by "gutless spoiled brats." :rolleyes:

AB, did you read my "ghetto ball" story in Pimps thread. Some guy sitting next to me thought I'd like to hear his take on how our players are "ghetto ball players." He picked the wrong fan.

#74 heypartner, Jan 29, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  15. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

I think the mascot should change from that Bear to Towelie from South Park.
    Now that would be fu.

16. thechangx

thechangx Member

well heres the deal..i dont really mind the commercials, and i dont really mind the atmosphere, ALTHOUGH it coudl be a LOT more rowdy....BUT I HATE THE CLOWNS THAT PLAY THE DRUMS I HATE THEM SO MUCH!!!!!!!! THEY ARE TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!

17. thedreamisover

Commercial with Yao and the ladder is the worst commercial ever made. Ever. Anywhere. Period. Whoeve came up with that need to go. How can you have yao and a group of hit chicks at your disposal and come up with that? Why not just splice together some highlights and play the Yao Ming song, if that's all you got. Seriously.

18. sncns

sncns Contributing Member

Blame this on Le$ Alexander. All Le$ has given us is teddy bears, the worst uniforms in all of professional sports, and a threat to leave the city.

19. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Do you actually think they are going to throw the free t-shirts and celebriducks to the people who pay less for their seats? The goodies go to the high paying fans in the lower bowl. Isn't that the way it should be?

20. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

I would agree.
    THat Yao commercial with the ladder is really pathetic. It looks like a home made movie of the family