1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Full Jeremy Lin Highlights - 12 points, 8 assists 10/31/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by geraldd39, Nov 1, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

For one game, not much. Though +23 for Lin coupled with -14 for Douglas is a pretty strong indicator that Lin had a much better floor game than his backup.

2. torocan

torocan Member

+/- is a meaningful stat, but really only if taken over a significant number of games and only when looking at the players WITHIN a roster.

When you have enough games you can dissect it to look at that player in terms of relative impact to various lineups.

So, Harden's +/- is lower than Lin's, but it's deceptive because it was dragged down due to significant time on the floor with our horrible bench.

I suspect if Harden sat the entire time the bench was on his +/- would easily be higher than Lin's.

Really, I prefer to take +/- as a differential to other players on the team in order to assess relative roster impact, and even then it has to be taken in the context of the lineups the player is forced to play beside.

For example, looking at the Raptors game...

Lowry -1
    Valenciunas -7
    Bargnani -3
    Derozan -5

Those players played together most of the game, so in this case it's reasonable to conclude Lowry was clearly the best and most impactful player while he was with the lineup. It doesn't really say anything else other than the starters for the Raptors were pretty much being outplayed.

Now looking at the Rockets' game it's actually harder to judge as Harden was forced to play minutes due to Delfino getting in foul trouble early. Still, with Harden's dominant number of +18 and Lin's dominant number of +23 vs Parson at +9 (3rd) and Smith's +4 (4th), it's safe to say those two were the most impactful players on the floor.

Beyond that it's hard to say much else off of a single game except our starters beat the Pistons starters like red-headed step children.

Does it mean that the Rockets' players are better than the Raptor's players? Not necessarily. However, it does mean that we dominated the Pistons (lottery team) more than the Rockets dominated the Pacers (playoff team), which makes alot of sense and is as it should be if we're going to contend for a playoff spot.

+/- should generally not be used as a general skills comparison except when dealing with similar level rosters AND similar levels of opposition.

3. jvu

jvu Member

Not sure if Lin highlights or James harden highlights.. Hm

4. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

nice to see Lin penetration again :)

i'm very happy with our Batman & Robin backcourt

5. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

Thanks very detailed. I'm a casual fan ;)

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Lin + Harden = Rush Hour 6

7. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

too bad he had his toe on the line for those 2 long jumpers... should have been three's

8. BBAL

BBAL Member

But faster.:grin:

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He needs to wear smaller sized shoes. Seriously.

10. mirus

mirus Member

a bad habit of his,if i remember accurately.Hope he improves:)

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Is it just me or Lin still isn't 100%? I still don't see the same explosiveness and the variety of ways he scored with the Knicks. He's not finishing layups and getting and 1's like he used to.

Right now it seems like he tends to force contested layups on his slashes to the basket and ends up either getting blocked or literally just throwing the ball to the rim on his layups.

Last season, he used a variety of pull up jumpers, floaters, tear drops, and creativity on layups at the rim. Even his dunk in that video looked like he lacked elevation. Could be his knee still not being 100% but i wanna see those variation of shots. I don't remember seeing him hitting a floater or a teardrop yet during all his preseason games including this one.

All in all i think he's doing a solid job facilitating and cutting down on to's. I hope clutch or someone from the Rockets media can ask Lin about this.

12. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Actually, LOFs should be happy that we got Harden. Harden is the perfect guy for Lin to play off of. A legit star that wreaks havoc in the open court and half court that keeps the pressure off of Lin, plus will help Lin get good looks too. Lin will develop well with Harden there and I suspect will be able to put up some nice numbers over this season once his explosiveness and finishing returns.

Haven't been this excited in a long time. Kudos again to Morey--wouldn't want any other GM in the L.

13. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

Lin was playing like there's no tomorrow last year, totally insane if you ask me, maybe that's how he got Linsanity tagged, and the injury. Now, he needs to take it slowly.

14. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Stop talking about LOFs like its some phenomenon. Every good player has his own fans.

15. HombreDeHierro

I liked what I saw. He's not trying to force the issue. He doesn't have to particularly after the Harden acquisition.

He's taking what comes to him in the flow of the game.. showing good patience. He'll take tough shots when he has to.

Also, he looked pretty good going left a few times

16. beta ticket

beta ticket Member

Thank you for the vid. Watched the game on my iPhone last night and my neck is hurting now. Glad that we got a win. cf and your vid just made my day easier after storm sandy hit here.

17. torocan

torocan Member

He's not there yet for sure, but for a first game he did quite well especially considering his pre-season was for the most part disappointing and he'd only had 2 days with Harden.

His jumpshot is definitely improved. His driving is improved over pre-season as well. I expect him to integrate more of his shots as he gets his rhythm and touch back.

As for his passing decisions, I think they were ALOT better than last year. The same as his man to man and help defense. Those are the easiest for me to compare as those are mostly about footwork, tape and effort versus physical tuning/rhythm.

His turnovers were also improved. People point to the 4 TO's, but he only lost the handle once and had the ball stolen once. The other 2 were off questionable charge/blocking fouls -- which if you're going to get a TO, those are GOOD TO's, especially since the charging foul was one of the worst calls I've seen in some time.

The first call against him was 50/50, but unless they've redefined a charge as hitting a defender who's at a 45 degree angle AND still moving, it was really horrible. He should have definitely gotten 2 FT's for that one.

I'm sure we haven't seen anywhere near the best of Lin this season.

It only goes up from here.

18. mirus

mirus Member

I remember CP3 has a similar injury(but has his meniscus removed) & use quite some time to recover.

19. FacePalmMaster

He looked fine in the game. Not Linsane, but solid and productive. It's clear he's making progress in finding his rhythm back. Harden + Lin makes one hell of a offensive pair so far, considering Harden only had like two shoot-arounds. Can't wait when they mesh more.

The only thing that bothered me with Lin and is relatively minor is his two deep jumpers that got counted as twos. Either easily could've been 3s if his feet had only been centimeters from the line. This happened many times with his 3-pt attempts made last season, otherwise you'd probably see his 3pt% as around a decent .35ish last year. Nitpicking but I would like to see him working hard more on being a behind the arc threat to make the defense respect his shot.

20. CuriousG11

CuriousG11 Member

Thanks for the upload. Keep up the great work!