1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nov 12] How much longer would you like Morey to be Rockets GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by srrm, Oct 31, 2012.

?

How much longer would you like Morey to be Rockets GM?

1. 2 years or less

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. at least 3 yrs

20 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. at least 4 yrs

15 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. at least 5 yrs

136 vote(s)
    75.6%
  1. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Preface:
    Daryl Morey is an absolute genius! I love this trade so much, and as Clutch mentioned in the podcast, it couldn't have come at a better time. The fan base was becoming disillusioned, not having a clear cut plan for the future, but this trade has completely reinvigorated everyone.

That said, the main topic of this thread: Has Morey regained your trust in his plan and method? How much longer would you like Morey to remain as the Rockets GM?

There were two threads in the last year and a half asking the same question:

A) April 2011: the majority considered him to have 1-3 years left as GM
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=203894

B) April 2012: "Should Morey be fired?" 44% Yes, 56% No
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=218699

With this trade, I think Morey has extended his GM life by 4 years at least. Realistically, I think it'll take 1.5 - 2 years to get a second star player beside Harden, Lin & Asik, and I think Morey should have at least 2 years after that to assemble a solid supporting cast.

What do you think? How much longer would you like Morey to remain the Rockets GM?
    Poll options:
    a) 2 years or less
    b) at least 3 years
    c) at least 4 years
    d) at least 5 years

...Poll coming

2. jvu

jvu Member

Eleventy billion

2 people like this.
  3. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

I've never doubted Daryl Morey...

4. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Morey's a good GM. He's kept the team full of easily tradeable players and young, high upside guys. He's avoided bad contracts. He's tried and come very close on multiple occasions to land the "big deal" that would get us a star. He failed multiple times.

And now he's done it and now we're relevant again, with a ridiculously young team with a ton of upside, a proven top 3 pick star that's still getting better AND he's left us with a ton of cap room.

It would be criminal to let him go.

1 person likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have always known that Morey was a genius. I have questioned a few moves, but have always trusted that he knew what he was doing.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If the rockets are the 14th seed this year and don't sign someone in the offseason morey should be gone.

7. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

No patience, you have. Realistic, you are not.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I give him until the end of this year. If we don't have a championship by the end of next month, he should be out.

9. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

are you serious or is this a joke

10. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Morey has done a great job IMO! I'm more worried about the coaching situation with McHale's rotations!

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The real reason behind us being upset about being the 14th pick in previous years was because we knew that 14th was as good as we were going to get. Not much upside on those teams. Getting 14th with this squad is something we can build upon. And we have James Harden! He's the type of talent we would hope to get via tanking!

Morey is putting on a clinic on how to truly rebuild on the fly.

13. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

If I'm taking a similar stance on this as the average clutchfans poster, then we keep him until the next loss and back-track after every win.

14. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

i say 3 years and if year 2 we are out of the playoff picture, we let him go then. McHale needs to go after this year.

15. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I agree with this 100%. The upside is what us fans have been looking for in the last year and a half - two years and finally we acquired probably one of the highest upside players in the league.

16. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I think you need to justify this - as it stands it's not a reasonable stance...

Morey has delivered on what he's preached for the last few years, so why the negative opinion?

17. TheresTheDagger

I've always been in Morey's corner. Hes stayed unemotional, methodical, patient but at the same was ready to pull the trigger on a deal when it came available.

And even with difficult odds against him, he has completely changed the face of the franchise in 6 months from one of perpetual mediocrity to a young, talented and intriguing team that future free agents will take a 2nd look at.

I want him as GM as long as he'll stay.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Daryl Morey with the line of the night after that huge Asik block: "That's why we (blanking) got him!!!!!"</p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@RocketsJCF) <a href="https://twitter.com/RocketsJCF/status/263822090774409217" data-datetime="2012-11-01T01:57:42+00:00">November 1, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

He has swung for the fences and has finally landed a semi superstar in Harden. Still don't believe he's worth $16 mln a year. Just my opinion. As my signature states, where is the evidence. A 2nd round playoff exist and no playoffs for a couple of years. Buys and sells like he's on the stock market, lack of team chemistry, and paying slightly above average players superstar money.

So all of you Morey lovers, please tell those of us who are not Stevie Wonder when will the Rockets become a major force in the Western Conference?

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

You can't be serious after seeing what the Rockets are doing after 1 game. No evidence that Morey can or will build a contender, he can't wait for a team to develop before trading someone away to select someone else. He's the King of trading his own mistakes and then paying more for his next mistakes.

Wake me up when we are in the playoffs and giving grief to the LA's (both), OKC, Portland (Damien Lillard is going to light JLin up like a Christmas Tree), Memphis, Utah, and Dallas. Not going to happen this year or anytime in the near future.

1 person likes this.