1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros set to Name Bo Porter Manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Buck Turgidson

"Both Bo and I understand, and I want you to understand, that we are going to mightily suck during the next 2-3 years of this rebuilding phase. Season ticket renewals will be sent out in January!"

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He moved Myers to the bullpen. He took Rhiner Cruz in the Rule V draft. He lost Sergio Escalona for the year in spring training. David Carpenter & Fernando Rodriguez became terrible.

Lyon/Lopez/Myers was actually a solid 7/8/9. Wright was a great lefty out of the pen this year.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It might help seeing how I am easily confused ;)

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This will never get old. :)

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Rangers will suck again... everything is cyclical.

6. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I hope y'all enjoy 100 loss seasons.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Poor Bo Porter. I hope he's up on his antidepressant medication. He's going to need it.

8. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Wow... I can barely contain myself.

I would have like to seen them go after Tim Bogar, someone with some experience as an AL manager.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I guess I'll say it, Jim Crane's first managerial hire is a black guy. That's interesting considering some of the things that were said about him when he was going through the approval process.

11. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

When was this? Tim's Heck of a minor league manager, but no major league managerial experience.

12. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

My bad, I meant to say AL experience. :eek:

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

If the Astros are on the level (which I suspect they are) regarding Porter being here through the entire process, bad to good, I love that line of thinking. Hopefully Porter is the guy to see this through, he and we are probably in for at least a few more lean years.

I'm actually fairly excited to watch all of this unfold. I'm not going to knock this team for losing right now, at least there is a plan and real direction.

14. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, that Joe Torre, if he only had some AL experience when NY hired him....

1 person likes this.
  15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Nothing of the sort Cat. I'm merely pointing out that the mere act of rebuilding in and of itself doesn't necessarily translate into the desired results (i.e. a playoff team). The key word you used here is "develop" and unless that actually comes to pass, it won't matter. It's far easier to screw up an organization (and believe me, the Houston franchises have that part down pat). It's a different matter altogether to actually put together a winning organization. The Astros haven't done that yet - they may eventually do so but I don't expect that to happen for at least 4 or 5 years.

I don't like this move to the AL at all in part because of bulls*t way it was done and in part because of the severe competitive disadvantage it puts on an already woebegone franchise. Nothing I've seen to date suggests that they won't be just another Seattle or Kansas City in the AL West. That may well change in time but for now, that is the reality of the situation.

Porter seems to be a great guy and all that but in the end he'll be judged on wins and losses just like Mills and without the talent to compete in about two years, folks here will be calling for his head just like they did with Mills. He not only has to win games with little to no talent in a tough division, he also has to somehow energize the fanbase by making the ALastros respectible. That's a tall order and I can't help but feel that he's a dead man walking.

Mr. Fixit was the name Wade gave to himself and it stuck. I kind of think it's pretty descriptive for what he does. But Wade's history suggests that he has a shelf life. The only question that remains is whether or not Wade has managed to break the cycle with the Texans or will his history repeat itself. You can chose to ignore Wade's history all you want but it is what is. However, after watching the Cows under Jason Garrett, I have to conclude that Wade got jobbed by Jerral Jones because nothing much has really changed since he was let go.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Another Red Sox bench coach? I'm not interested in anyone from that train wreck.

Even though Joe Maddon was with the Angels for a long time before he ended up with the Rays, he strikes me as more of an NL guy, and he's regarded as the best in the game right now.

17. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Good point. Yeah, I get what you're saying. I just don't like the hire pretty much, lol.

18. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I bet Jim Riggleman becomes the new bench coach. Porter played and coached under him.

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Based on what? The fact that you didn't know who he was? This is a guy widely considered to be at the top of the crop of up-and-coming managers. He's young, fiery, and supposed to be an excellent teacher. We weren't going to be able to resurrect Sparky Anderson and offer him the job.

And I'm sure your affection for Bogar had nothing to do with the fact that he was a name you recognized from his days as an Astro.

20. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

That's all good man, I'm glad to hear that about Porter. I was just stating my opinion bro.

As far as Bogar, it has nothing to do with him playing for the Astros, he was terrible, lol. I've just heard a lot of good things about him.