1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the recipe for the Rockets to win a championship again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Sep 7, 2012.

?

What's the main ingredient?

1. one all star

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. two all stars

30 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. three all stars

25 vote(s)
    25.5%
  4. the MVP

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. the defensive player of the year

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. the scoring champion

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. a legendary coach

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. some MSG

9 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. Prince

Prince Member

Voted some MSG.

We need somebody who played in MSG, Madison Square Garden.

Can we now call Jeremy Lin as MSG? very fitting. :)

2. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

2-way players and a closer.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

We need, at the very least, a top 10 player who is MVP worthy.

And a team built around that player, ideally with an Allstar or two.

4. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

An MVP to attract another all star or two and a supporting cast. Or four or five all stars and a strong bench.

6. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I am terribly pessimistic. I don't think a franchise was ever gutted like this one and ever became a winner again without a brand new start in a different city under new ownership.
    But I haven't seen the kids play. Maybe they'll be great. Although I think that any one of them that is the least bit successful will be traded away within a year and a half.

Still, pessimism feeds upon itself and becomes as unrealistic as unguarded optimism, and without the fun. A lot of you guys are really enthusiastic; I'm jealous of you though a bit flabbergasted. And hey, I've had a minority opinion enough times in my life to know that sometimes I'm just wrong.

But I am terribly pessimistic. I don't think the Rockets will contend again in my lifetime. Not as the Houston Rockets anyway.

But I get to vote, and I'm voting for all of the above. That ought to get us through.

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

An MVP, defensive player of the year big man and a solid supporting cast.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

94 Rockets
    MVP -Hakeem
    DPOY -Hakeem
    All Star-Hakeem
    All Star-Otis Thorpe (yep OT made the all star team in 92)
    All Star- (future) Sam Cassell
    Legendary Coach - Rudy T

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

If I may post a corny joke here:

I'd go to K Mart first, look Donuts inside, then maybe find some fresh Lamb outside.

On a serious note:

We would need some leadership first and foremost. I don't know if K Mart can be that guy or not. Also a lot more consistent talent. We need someone who will drop 20 points every night, someone who will grab 10+ rebounds every night. If K Mart could find his shot and stay consistent that would resolve the scoring, and if Asik can translate his game from bench play to starter and grab boards/block shots that would be big for us.
    Lin needs to step up like he did in NY but hopefully keep the TOs under 6 a game. This is just the beginning.

Needless to say we have a lot of work to do before we can seriously contend for a title

10. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

The recipe for success is having Hakeem drink a potion that makes him 25 years younger. Then he has to join the Houston Rockets. If this happens the Rockets become an instant contender and Hakeem gets to show Dwight what a real center is like when the Rockets play the Lakers.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

LEADERSHIP

That's a huge word. And we simply don't have it right now. Leadership has to come from your megastar, superstar, franchise player. Dallas has Dirk. Miami has Lebron. Lakers have Kobe. Thunder have Durant. We've got ..... Lin????

While I really like Lin's game, I don't see the aspect of being a championship leader in his makeup. I think he'd make a great second or third piece, a guy that would be great alongside a true superstar big man. But if Lin is your locker room leader, you're not going very far.

Do you know who our current leader is??? It's Chandler Parsons folks. Plain and simple. Is he a franchise guy?? Jury is still out on that. He's a great player. He's a winner. He's the type of player you find on championship teams rotations. Is he a franchise type guy? Dunno. But he's what we gots right now.

Potential leaders on this team???? Only two other possibilities at this point. Royce and Donuts. Lamb is not that. Doesn't have it in his temperment. Jones? No. We ain't got nobody else. Our leader has to come from within the group of Parsons, Donuts, or Royce. Or else we gotta go get a leader.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets as currently built will not have a DPOY for another season or so. Look for that to happen next season. What they will have is 3 players who are definitely known for playing good defense(Parsons, Jones, Asik). If McHale can somehow help mold Asik into a double figure post scorer(10-12pts), which wouldn't be impossible considering he will be starting, that would be one step in the right direction.
    If Parsons can play this season like he ended last season, thats one more step.
    My only real concern as far as defense would be at the 1 and 2. If Lin, Lamb and Machado are capable of playing some defense, that is one more step.

13. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

So with Lin as your locker room leader you won't go far but with Parsons you will? Tell you what neither are franchise players though they can become all stars and at this point Lin seems to have higher upside than Parsons. Also locker room leader does not necessarily mean best player on the team. There are superstars that are not great locker room leaders.

I have no clue why Parsons, Donuts and Royce can be potential leaders but Lin can't. It simply doesn't make sense.

14. jopatmc

I didn't say that. What I did say is Lin is not your locker room leader. I also said Parson is our current leader. I also said I don't know how good a leader he is going to be. He has to have the franchise player game to be a greater leader. Don't know if he has it in him.

And I did say that the guys with leadership potential are Chandler, Royce, and Donuts. Don't know if any of them will turn into true franchise leaders though.

Lin is too much of a "nice guy". Same as Lamb. They're not your franchise leaders.

15. rvpals

rvpals Member

All we need is LIN, all Lin did was win.
    I wish we still have Ming (Yao), Lin Ming combo would be a great team!

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

tinman, I'm so disappointed in you. You missed out the most obvious choice:

Heroes
    [​IMG]

17. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Recipe?....Here you go...Just add water.

[​IMG]

18. thisiscaketown

Who do you think was the leader for the 2004 Pistons and why?

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Chauncey Billups has pretty much defined his career since that year by being a leader on the court. There is a reason that once he was traded the Pistons blew up and how the Nuggets were in the Western Conference finals when he got there but once Melo stopped listening that team started to blow up, or how the Knicks made the playoffs but blew up after they let him go, or how the Clippers blew up compared to the finals team people thought of them before he was injured.

Time will tell if we have one of those on our team.

20. jopatmc

Chauncey, he was the QB. But he had a strong second in Big Ben. Ben was the locker room enforcer. Chauncey was the leader.