1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens to Pitch for Skeeters

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocketman95, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 713

713 Member

are the Skeeter's the Astros' Single A team??

2. Buck Turgidson

40 man roster.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

they are not affiliated with the astros or any mlb team

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He'd be as much of a promotional sideshow with the Astros as he would be with the skeeters.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/could-roger-clemens-be-aiming-for-major-league-return-082012

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Edit: I guess this was just a rumor.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Some guys just don't know when to call it quits? Guess it can only help the Skeeters bring in more attendance.

Saw Jason Lane pitch a few weeks ago. Pitched about 7 shutout innings I think. Now there's a guy I'm rooting for to find his way back, however slim.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

I don't think he's doing this because he loves the game, he's doing it because he has an Ego the size of Texas and doesn't want to go out the way he did. Unfortunately, it won't end well. So what he can throw an 87 mph fastball. Can he throw one for 6-7 innings? This guy needs to just go away. He doesn't love the game, he loves himself.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Thank you Sigmund Fraud.

Roger is far from perfect, but he is extremely competitive and has an amazing work ethic. I remember seeing him 3 hours before game time running the field and doing drills.

If anything playing for an independent league would be humiliating and a knock to his ego. He isn't doing this for money either, love him or hate him, this is about his desire to compete and see if he can do it still.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

What happened to the "gets to travel and see things and live the LIFE that you can only DREAM of, cuz he 'goes for it' when you couch potatoes don't" approach? I thought THAT was the thing to emulate and admire? :)

I'm saying that drive, competitive ambition and EGO are very closely related and linked in to each other, for good and the bad.

11. Classic

Classic Member

Guess sittin in a suit for all those years gave him the drive to get back out there. Good for him, he's one hell of a competitor.

12. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I'd pay to see a 50 year old Clemens pitch for the Astros.

Make it happen Luhnow.

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I would too. Would love to see it.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Neat. Should be a good value of entertainment.

15. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

That would be cool for Clemens to comeback and extend his major league career. He's older than Jamie Moyer by a few months.

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Mike and Mike brought up a interesting point. If he does come back to pitch 1 game he won't be on the HOF ballot this year. He's definitely not getting in now will people feelings change in 5 years? I think so.

This will also give him 20 years for people to change their mind opposed to 15.

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I say more power to him. Like anyone who likes competition, he's looking for a league to go compete in. A lot of us do the same thing at Club Monkey or at the YMCA...just looking for somewhere to play. His just happens to be an independent baseball league, but so what? What's he supposed to do...play slow pitch softball for the rest of his life? I play in a 30+ basketball league and there are guys in the league who are 45+ still running and playing. I say more power to them for wanting to stay after it.

Sure he's a drama queen that loves the attention, but he likes to attack hitters too. I say if he can still do it at 50, why the heck not?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Now pitching for your Sugarland Skeeters, #21 Roger Clemens! :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Roger Clemens says he is going to pitch Saturday and see how it goes. Says he is not considering return to big leagues right now.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/237944733668888576" data-datetime="2012-08-21T16:10:19+00:00">August 21, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>On possibly pitchingfor the Astros this year Roger Clemens said: "we haven't gotten to that point yet."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/237946577174556672" data-datetime="2012-08-21T16:17:39+00:00">August 21, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Says he's doing this 'for fun'.

"We'll have some fun Saturday night. This is about the community. ... We'll have fun with this, see if I can get through a few innings and see where it goes from there."

Said Dr. James Andrews said it looks like has a shoulder of a 30 year old.

"He said your shoulder looks like your 30, you should go pitch again. I laughed it off. Again, talking with Gary, I'm nowhere near where I would need to be to compete. I'm 50 years old. We'll just go have fun, make it fun for the fans. I'm sure I'll get some jabs from the boys at home. We'll see if we can get it done."

As Berman said, not considering the majors right now.

"I wouldn't consider (MLB) that far ahead. We'll have fun with it. I think I can compete a little bit."

19. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

how long before pettitte signs up with the skeeters..

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Maybe the whole 2005 team can play for the Skeeters.