1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Correa has to start in Lexington next year. No way I think they want him to start him next year in short season. He would be wasting a half year.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He would still play, just in extended spring training.

I hope he would start in Lexington, but he could go to Tri-City. We saw the old regime put DDJ in Lexington. This regime has Houser to look at, but pitchers and position players aren't very comparable.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not call extended spring training wasting half a year if he needs it. It is much better if he doesn't.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He's batting .107 with a .561 OPS over his last 10 games. That's a disaster no matter how you slice it.

Obviously it's a plus he maintained a .419 OBP over that period but there are huge red flags on whether he'll be able to hit. If he continues to struggle at the plate and that walk-rate is cut 1/3 of that by the time he reaches the majors (not unreasonble), he won't be a major leaguer for long.

5. xcrunner51

Keep in mind he'll be an 18 y/o next season. He'll be among the youngest at any league he goes to (Greeneville, Tri-City or Lexington). In Lexington he'd be playing against international players who've been playing for 3-5 years, advanced college players starting full season ball (e.g. Nolan Fontana), and other high school picks 1-2 years ahead of him in development.

It wouldn't be unprecedented to aggressively promote a top pick, but they drafted him knowing he'd be a 5 year project. Better to get it right, than to screw up his development aggressively promoting him (e.g. DDJ).

6. juicystream

He has 99AB's in his professional debut. Relax.

People go through slumps in baseball all the time. He's not even expected to be a high BA guy (If he can hit .250, he's a ML player at SS). He's expected to play good defense, get on base, be a good guy in the clubhouse, and do all the small things. Let's not get too high or too low on anybody.

7. xcrunner51

Heh, yea. You're right. It's small sample size at any rate. He's shown a lot of plusses so far, matched with the current negatives we're seeing. He's probably somewhere in between.

Lexington has 20 more games left, probably 60-70 more ab's. We'll get a decent 1/4 season of stats total.

8. juicystream

I wasn't high on the pick myself, but Luhnow loves the guy. If we are in August of next year, and he is batting .230, I'll be very concerned.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

His strikeout numbers are going up? In the past ten games he has 8Ks and 13BBs. I don't think I can see Fontana repeating Lexington

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'd be mildly surprised if Fontana ends up repeating Lexington. To me, he seems like a guy that the front office expects to be in the majors in 2-3 years.

He might be showing some signs of wearing down. After all, he is fresh off the College World Series. He might get some time in instructional league after taking the fall off.

11. juicystream

8ks in 28ABs is not good. K-rate was 17% last month, 20% so far this month.

The walks are still amazing. I'd be very interested at the amount of swinging strikes vs. looking. For a player with such a high walk rate (30%) it is important to know.

12. juicystream

They definitely think that. If he goes back to Lexington next year, I expect him to be an early promotion.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Last night was pretty quiet on the farm, and tonight, Corpus has the night off, and Tri-City is having their All-Star break. Mike Foltynewicz gets the start for Lexington tonight.

14. juicystream

Wish they would promote Folty, unless they are skipping Lancaster (which I wouldn't mind).

15. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I sure hope Foltynewicz skips Lancaster. Besides he has spent two full years in Low A.

16. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Imagine this lineup sometime in 2014. Maybe opening day 2015.

1. Deshields 2B (R)
    2. Grossman LF (S)
    3. Singleton 1B (L)
    4. Krauss DH (L)
    5. Santana RF (R)
    6. Springer CF (R)
    7. Perez C (R)
    8. Dominguez 3B (R)
    9. Villar SS (S)

Damn.

17. juicystream

Some strikeout machines in that lineup (at least they have power to go with them unlike today's team).

I'm sure Altuve and Castro enjoy your vote of confidence.

18. xcrunner51

Great prospect line-up. Not enough power to be a great AL team. There's only 4 batters (3-6) that definitively project to double digit home runs. I'm starting to warmup to Grossman as a prospect, but he doesn't hit well for enough power to carry a corner outfield spot in the AL.

19. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I'm a huge Altuve and Castro fan. Marwin, Green, JD Martinez and Wallace might still be in that mix of players as well. I was just listing the top prospects we have at every position in the minors. It makes a good lineup with a mix of speed, power, OBP, and defense. I'm pretty sure Castro is going to end up being an above average back up catcher with his leg problems though :-/.

20. juicystream

Until we got Perez, I figured we were going to see a Castro/Chris Wallace platoon for the next decade. Both have plenty of question marks, but I like them for whatever reason.