1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has the bleakest future?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by da_juice, Aug 7, 2012.

?

Which team has the bleakest future?

1. Bobcats

77 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Bucks

37 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Pistons

23 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Warriors

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Other (please specify)

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Alright, I know the offseason isn't over, but we still have a pretty good picture of what teams look like.

I want to know, what team- barring a huge trade- has the worst outlook for the future.

The Bobcats look to be in bad shape, they still have Tyrus Thomas and now Ben Gordon's contract on their hands. I also, don't see MKC making a huge leap. However, winning the lotto might change their fate next season.

The Pistons get rid of Ben Gordon and brought in Andre Drummond, but they still have veteran guys like Tayshaun and Villanueva taking up room and cash. The Pistons, like the Rockets, have been mediocre for the past 5 years or so. Yet, Knight-Monroe-Drummond form a decent core.

I keep waiting for the Warriors to make a big leap, but they always seem to disappoint. This team has been a perennial 11th seed like the Pistons, and it's even tougher as they're in the West. I like their team on paper, but I'm always skeptical about GSW.

The Bucks are another good example of this. Unlike the Warriors, this team isn't as attractive on paper and they are another team that always seems to miss the playoffs by a hair. I don't like the Jennings-Ellis backcourt. And I'm not confident about Ekpe Udoh or Drew Gooden holding down the five for them.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

the idea I think is that John Henson is holding the 5 long term for the Bucks, not Udoh or Gooden.
    I'd still pick them in this poll, but i like Henson a lot and I think he has a good chance to be a solid starter in a year or two.

Bobcats are > because they'll suck and get another good pick. also, MKG has a ton of talent, and Henderson/Biyombo/Kemba all have a shot to be good long term starters.
    It's not a bad position to be in, long term.

Pistons/Warriors are in another dimension completely, they are in playoff contention and they have young stars.
    Stephen Curry and his ankles + Harrison Barnes + Bogut + David Lee + Klay Thompson = solid, shouldn't be in this discussion.
    Even more so regarding the Pistons. Monroe is a top 10 big man in the league.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I'd also put the Suns there somewhere. And obviously the Magic, the Mavs or the Rockets may end up in the mix too, a lot of unanswered questions in these cases.

4. 713

713 Member

Kristen Stewart.

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

Suns. Lots of tough contracts to move, no more salary cap room, and a 1st round out playoff team. At least teams like the Bobcats and Magic will be getting top 5 picks on top 5 picks on top 5 picks.

6. HombreDeHierro

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bobcats. Jordan was cursed after winning his 6 rings to never win anything ever again.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Bobcats - Have some good young players with potential and possibly another lottery pick after next year. I'd say bleak short term, but a fairly good outlook long term, if they can find the right mix of players and attract a strong free agent.

Pistons - It depends on how much Monroe and Drummond pan out. If they both pan out very well, you are looking at a perennial contender, most likely. If only one pans out, and the other is decent, they could have a fairly decent team. If both don't really do much, then another five years NBA lottery tickets for the Pistons.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2012/08/rookie_andre_drummond_impresse.html

Bucks - A lower-seed playoff contender and never-ending mediocrity, UNLESS they find a really versatile, unselfish point guard. Jennings is a good player, but he's not what you need at point guard, if you want to win (unless you have a distributor at another position).

Warriors - The Warriors could be in the lottery again, or could possibly be challenge for a playoff seed as high #5, especially if Bogut stays healthy and Barnes turns out to be a machine gun scorer at small forward.

Suns - Mediocre again, most likely, but headed in the right direction. Really, they would've been a very good team, if they were able to sign Gordon away from the Hornets. It just slipped away from them, it's not a crushing factor.

Trailblazers - Hard to say.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bobcats, because not only have they been a disaster for 95% of their history, they also have financial issues, and are a terrible market.

10. parmesh

parmesh Member

She has a lot of money, she'll be fine.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

More times than not, I would say yes, but in this case I'd say no and again it's not necessarily the location, they (Hornets) had the highest attendance numbers in the league for a period of time (even in their expansion years).

1988-89: 1st
    1989-90: 2nd
    1990-91: 1st
    1991-92: 1st
    1992-93: 1st
    1993-94: 1st
    1994-95: 1st
    1995-96: 1st
    1996-97: 1st
    1997-98: 2nd
    1998-99: 6th
    1999-00: 11th
    2000-01: 21st
    2001-02: 29th (dead last)

New Orleans Hornets
    2002-03: 19th
    2003-04: 28th
    2004-05: 30th
    2005-06: 6th (with OKC)
    2006-07: 8th (with OKC)
    2007-08: 26th
    2008-09: 19th
    2009-10: 25th
    2010-11: 26th
    2011-12: 25th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Hornets_(NBA)#1998.E2.80.932002:_Final_years_in_Charlotte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Hornets_(NBA)#1998.E2.80.932002:_Final_years_in_Charlotte

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll say Bucks just because I think Stern will give MJ the #1 pick next year. And like OP, I don't think trust that backcourt.

13. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Tbh, I say the Bulls. They had a terrible off-season and no great pieces around Rose. They are good now, but they don't have much youth besides Rose and they can't beat the Heat...

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Bobcats, no doubt. Jordan is strangling the team from the top, and they've put shoestring budget as the overriding priority their entire existence.

After them, I'd say:

Toronto - because no American star will stay there, they have to overpay FAs to come there, and their scouting/draft work has been terrible.

Bucks - because they operate with half the revenue of the average team.

Kings - because the Maloofs are upside down financially and eventually will have to be forced out like the McCourts.

New Jersey - even though the Russian has them spending like drunken sailors, Billy King is the drunk in charge.

Washington - the only way you can WIN with your best player being a PG is if that PG is a shoe in HOF. John Wall's good, but he's not anywhere near that good. DC hasn't had a great true big since Webber, and they're going nowhere until they find one.

Orlando - no explanation needed here.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

what's there to pan out with Monroe. He was already arguably better than Blake Griffin last year. similar impact on offense, much better defense, more positional versatility.

Drummond is another issue. But they really only need him to become DeAndre Jordan, i.e. block shots and anything else is bonus.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Deng is great and just entering his prime. He'll be awesome for another 5-7 years.
    Noah too, but this one depends on health.

I don't know that their offseason was bad. They went under tax, because they don't expect to compete this year with Rose recovering.
    Under-tax teams have advantages during the offseason. So they've put themselves in a better position for next summer. It's not awesome, but it's not dumb either.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Shortened season and he needs to have another year, Monroe has the potential to be a career 20-10 player, while Griffin already is. I'm not quite sure Monroe can carry offensive load for a team, quite yet. He's pretty good though. I agree on better defense, but his impact isn't quite as great as Griffin's.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Griffin is only 20-10 because he is able to play more minutes by playing next to a true center. While Monroe had to handle the pounding at 5, despite being better suited for PF spot both offensively and defensively.

anyway, i don't see how Monroe and Drummond "both don't really do much", when one of them is an elite two-way player already.

19. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Deandre Jordan is a horrendous center. That being said I admit Monroe is underrated. He is borderline elite imo.

20. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Out of those teams, I got to go with the Bucks.
    Bobcats will continue to draft in the top 5 for a while and eventually these players have to win some games. MKG is a great start.
    Pistons have some good players with Drummond and Monroe, they draft pretty well.
    Warriors, I think will be contending for the final playoff spot if all goes well with them this year. They have excellent players who have just had terrible luck, injury wise.

Bucks... I honestly don't think they have a clue what they're doing. I don't know their plan nor think they have one.