1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ClKent

ClKent Member

Rubio is already a bad shooter and always will be. So Lin is better than Rubio. Wall was destroyed by Lin last season I believe. Plus Wall's teams are not good since he has been there. I would take Lin over Wall. Jennings takes his team close to the playoffs with not much talent. Jennings is ahead of Lin in talent. As far as Lowry and Dragic? Thos guys are all close in ability between Lin, Lowry, Dragic for various reasons. Except that Lin may have a huge edge in upside.

2. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Rubio is better than Lin. He can at least play defense.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Really? Id take wall or rubio over lin in a heartbeat.

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I split your "arguments" to 4 points so it's easy for me to rebut...

1. Rubio is a way better defender and always will be. So Rubio is better than Lin....see what I did there? Stupid argument.
    2. Wall was not "destroyed" by Lin - he played on a ****ty team with cancer as teamates. Lin has never played on a bad team; this year will be his first. Who's to say Lin will be worse than Wall? Again, stupid arugment.
    3. Out of all the young pg's you could've placed ahead of Lin, you use Jennings as an example? And again, see #2. Lin has never been the focal point of the team. You can't compare the two until he is one. Stupid argument.
    4. For "various reasons" is probably one of the laziest ways to "prove" a point without actually saying anything worth saying. Stupid "argument".

Your entire post is just stupid arguments piled on top of each other. I like Lin as much as the next guy but please think before you post next time.

5. bucky99

bucky99 Member

Rubio, maybe before he tore his ACL. We'll see how his game is post-ACL rehab.

Wall, no. Wall shot 7% from 3pt range last year. Manute Bol shoots better than John Wall.

Lin's defense is underrated. He may not be a lockdown 1 on 1 defender, but he's a very good overall defender. In his first year in the NBA, people were saying that his defense was great, but his offense was lacking. With the Knicks, he had to carry the offense, and so he wasn't as spectacular on defense.

6. Screw

Screw Member

Its sad that we lost Lowry..and its sad to lose Dragic.

But We can all agree even though Lin may have his faults..that we have faith in this young man to lead this young Rockets team to be something awesome!..we have to believe lol

"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!" kind of thing

7. rvpals

rvpals Member

To the point of Lin being a defender.

I watched all the Knicks game last season.

Lin is a good defender, and people don't give him credit. If you watch closely, Lin's very smart in reading plays on defense too, he moves to the right spot, step in the right place, and a lot of times just steal the balls from the dribbler. Many times I saw ball handler just kind of walked into Lin's trap and got swiped because he anticipate where the guy would be. Lin gets a lot of steal and I don't think people realize that. He's very good at running the fast break and outlet when he stole the ball too.

Another thing is, Lin plays hard and you see how he wants to play defense, sometimes you see guys with more talent (like Anthony) would just lay off and coasts during defense, you want to smack him. But Lin on the other hand, plays hard on D also. He might not be as quick or talented a defender like Anthony, but he tries hard. He's deceptively quick too sliding.

Lin also do a fairly good job of communicating on defense, I noticed he points out different things as the offense was moving the ball around, due to his superior court vision and good basketball IQ (I'm guessing good bit of time studying his opponent on film too). He knows how the opponent is running the offense.

8. RockSC

RockSC Member

What is Lin's DRtg last year? I can't find any of those stats on Google. And what's Rubio's?

9. redlawn

redlawn Member

First time Lin played Wall gave us this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/whVEiYap1F4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second time Lin played Wall gave us this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Go77xCLA2Vs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. RedNation

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IYS0vNo7Sss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Rubio vs. Lin is a legit debate. Rubio's got better vision, length, and handles. Lin's got better first step and shot. Both have a good foundation for being a good point guard.

Wall vs. Lin is not a debate. Wall is a superior athlete, but has zero bball iq, which is a huge problem for a PG. The guy just uses his athleticism to get into the lane the same way every time. He reminds me of Stephon Marbury in his approach to the game.

12. redlawn

redlawn Member

Wall played with arguably one of the best center prospects out there Javale McGee and couldnt do anything with him. McGee gets traded to Denver, and he blows up.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

That isn't Wall's fault. McGee is a kid and he needed to be surrounded with veterans. There was just way to much youth on that roster for McGee. Plus Karl will be good for him as well. I think Wall also needs to mature a bit as well. He is still young and I think him being surrounded by veterans will help as well.

14. RedNation

With the wizards, he averaged 12 points, 3 blocks, 9 rebounds

With the nuggets, he averaged 11 points 2 blocks 7 rebounds. Quite the opposite of "blowing up"

15. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Wall has a great vertical, but is not a better athlete overall. There have been various metrics posted on this forum if you search, but it shows that Lin is neck and neck with top young PG's.

Lin has done an excellent job finding teammates in half court and full court situations. Rubio does not have superior "vision," whatever that means. Are you privy to their optometrist's reports?

Also, post some information on the reach of Lin and Rubio.

Lin has excellent handles: Rubio is usually operating safely on the perimeter; Lin is a crash and burn daredevil in the paint; very different MO's but it in no way suggests that Rubio has "better handles."

Rubio was able to help the Wolves play .500 ball as a starter, Lin's numbers are far superior in that regard, but in fewer games.

I do believe that Lin's career longevity will be aided and abetted with a more conservative style of play.

16. RedNation

Rubio is a better passer and has superior vision.I don't see how you can argue that. Lin is a better scorer and Rubio is the better defender/passer/ball handler.

17. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Wall relies almost exclusively on athleticism. He doesn't really have a game aside from trying to beat his defenders off the dribble with his speed. It's likely he'll wind up a journeyman and constant trade bait; ie a player with impressive numbers and 'potential' who never really learns to play the game or the position properly. A poor man's Gilbert Arenas.

18. redlawn

redlawn Member

I'll agree there were certainly locker room immaturity issues for the Wiz. prob as far back as Arenas gun incident. It'll be interesting to see how they do now that they also have Bradley Beal and got rid of Blatche.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

That is why you can't just look at statistics. He played better with the Nuggets. Was more under control as a nugget. None of that stupid running back to play defense when your team has the ball. In the playoffs against the Lakers he was solid as well. Even Kobe gave him props and the Wizards management commented saying that he played well and this was the Javale that they wanted to see, but never got to see, in Washington.

20. RedNation

What does Russell Westbrook do?