1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Injuries. Will the team grow now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by franchise?..NOT, Jan 14, 2003.

?

Do you think the team will do better with the young guys playing more minutes?

1. No. Steve and Cat will dominate the offense and the team will suffer.

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Yes. We have some talented guys who should help the team get better quickly.

20 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Steve and Cat will not have enough help and we will struggle to make the playoffs.

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Steve and Cat are more than enough and will excel now that they can take more control of the offense

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. None of the above. See answer below.

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. franchise?..NOT

If Steve gives up the ball like he has done a little of lately then I think we will be a stronger team for having let the young guys play together. Having Taylor and Rice out and Cato and Norris on the bench more with the young guys getting their minutes should make us a stronger team for the playoffs and the future. Even if somewhat healthy, the high dollar "vets" have not been producing and Morris, Boki, Maddox and even Hawkins have been getting no time at all. Now they should blossom in time for the playoffs. May not go far but the experience they get will be invaluable for years to come.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well, it's January and there is still not much of a motion offense to speak of. It will be Mobley and Francis dominating the outside shots while Yao takes over the inside. Rudy designs his offense to get the best player shots, unlike say Detroit which uses ball movement to get anybody open. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

3. OT

OT Member

How can you be so sure they will "blossom" ? Langy never blossomed.

4. franchise?..NOT

Well, we will never know if they never play. Are we to just take the teams word for it. It's worth the playing time to find one Avery Johnson isn't it. He never had a chance here. I still think Collier may be productive somewhere else if given some court time. Hell if he got half the chance that Portland and Houston are giving Cato, what is it going on seven years for the bum that is Cato. Nachbar is definitely worth some playing time. So is TMo. If Maddox was such a steal and so good in the summer league then he is worth some time as well. He can't be much worse than Norris. EG is showing flashes of a game. These guys need time. What choice is there. Trade EG for Horry?. What's your answer?

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

uh... No thank you.

This team will do fine as long the injury bug stays away from eveybody else but Rice.

6. supermagichero

Dennis2112, can I call you Rick-hater? ;)

7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I voted for "Yes. We have some talented guys who should help the team get better quickly."

The only injured starting player is Rice. Posey is an improvement if you ask me.

Posey has 10x better defense and can run the fast break. Rice is a better shooter, but Posey can hit the open shot most of the time.

Our depth on the bench is hurt with Taylor being injured. But Hawkins and Morris seem to be ready to take up the slack. Cato has been solid, Moochie needs improvement. It would be nice to see Boki get some minutes.

The way I see it, with our bench getting some valuable experience it will only make our team stronger/deeper when the injured vets return. I think we could rival almost any team in the NBA for depth. Then consider our youth and this team has a lot of potential to win it all.

8. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Who's Rick?? :confused: :confused:

If you were refering to Rice , Well I would not say I hate the man, its just I feel he would be better coming off the bench and taking less time away from our younger players. I think his value as a veteran leader is fine but his skills have dimished to the point that 10-20 minutes a game is all he can take and if his shot is off...even less.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Taylor gonna be out for long? I only heard that Rice was. Rice's lost is not a big deal. We have plenty of SFs to throw in. Posey is a good starter. I hope Boki gets the backup job. Hawkins can come in to help both the 2 and the 3.

If Taylor is also out for long, then TMo will probably see more duties at the 4.

If you look at last night's PT:

Guards: Steve 42, Cat 45, Moochie 9
    SF: Posey 28, Hawk 20
    PF: Griffin 28, TMo 20
    C: Ming 32, Cato 16

The front court positions are staight up substitutions. The guards are a 3-men rotation. I don't know why Rudy didn't move Hawk or Posey down to the 2 to reduce Steve and Cat's load and play a little bit Boki at the 3.