1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

When did you start following the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackball, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Trackball

Trackball Member

Me, I became a Rockets fan in 1993.

No, I wasn't hopping on a bandwagon--my grandmother, on a whim, had gotten one of those little fold-out Rockets schedules you can sometimes find at fast food places. It was purely a coincidence that they had just won the division--hell, I didn't know who Hakeem Olajuwon WAS.

But I started watching the games...and wound up tuning into every game that season, when it was possible to watch or listen (not all games were televised at the time--some were radio-only for Houston, including that game against Miami where Vernon Maxwell hit that miracle 3-pointer to force overtime). Two of my happiest memories were the nights we won those titles, me watching on live TV...and I still get angry at those fools who continue to insist they were illegitimate because of one player's absence.

It's also what got me to fall in love with the game of basketball as a whole. It's still my preferred sport--nothing wrong with baseball, hockey, or either kind of football, but to me, the best combination of fast pace (unlike soccer), no overdose on stoppages (unlike football and baseball), and the ability to see what's going on (unlike hockey) is what got me to prefer the hardwood.

Before you get your underwear in a twist, I do respect the other sports. I'm just stating my reasons why basketball is my personal preference.

Anyway, what's your story?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When they signed Jeremy Lin.

1 person likes this.
  3. smr6

smr6 Member

Born in Houston in 1990 and raised a Rockets fan. My parents had season tickets during the championship years so I was always around Rocket's fandom even when I was too young to really understand. Never was a fan of any other basketball team in my life but also wasn't a hardcore check bbs and other forums always looking for updates as soon as they happen knid of fan until high school.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Around 1983-4...when I was just a kid.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

When we got Brian Cook.

6. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

When they moved to Houston!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Its hard for me to remember when exactly, I guess it was around 73 or so. Back then, if you werent lucky enough to get taken to the small courts they played on(I got to go to a few), you had to read the paper to find out what happened.

8. Mr. Space City

when they drafted yao. after yao retired i became a knick fan last year. now i'm a rockets fan.

9. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

dont know the exact year but i used to listen to all the games on the radio (was too poor for cable)

the one name i used to always remember killing us was gary payton (sonics days)

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This is when I became a Houston Rockets fan:

[​IMG]

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I was born in Houston in December of 89, I remember watching them on tv, seeing the phonebooks come out with rockets championships on them, etc. So I would say I was raised a Rockets fan, but I wasnt 100% into them until I could comprehend what was going on, which I would say back when Hakeem got traded to Toronto (saddest day of my Rockets fanhood)

12. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

When Sura fainted.

13. smr6

smr6 Member

More or less how it went for me too, I was just born a year later.

14. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

2001, when I moved to Houston. Ironically, moved from Dallas. Muck the Favs.

I thought my fandom would die down when Yao left, but no dice.

Rockets fan FOR LIFE.

15. Dream McLandry

I grew up in Houston but was only 9 years old when we drafted Hakeem in '84. I guess that's when I really started following the Rockets.

16. Apps

Apps Member

Right out of the womb. Never had a choice, and couldn't be happier about it.

17. HangTime

HangTime Member

after Phi Slamma Jamma and Rockets drafted Hakeem (akeem) in 84.

18. Curly

Curly Member

1975 was my first recollection of being a Rocket fan.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Probably around 1987.

20. liljojo

liljojo Member

2005, when we got screwed over by the refs. Still waiting for redemption.