1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin a Legit Closer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Jul 5, 2012.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Man, I apologize. I know there are like 3 other Lin threads. I opened one of them, and it was 23 pages long! This question may have been answered in there, but trying to find it would be a bit too daunting for me.

Anyway, I recall season before last, one of the hot topics (along with our absence of a rim protector) was the lack of a closer. I was wondering if Jeremy Lin would fill that role (I have not had the chance to see him play much). He seems to get to the line at a ridiculous rate (his ratio of FTA's to FGA's is 1.5 X Dragic's and 1.25 X Lowry's). I wish he could be a bit better finisher (his shooting % at the rim is only 52%).

While I know a lot more goes into being a great PG (defense, court vision, etc.), as far as just being a closer goes, could Lin fill that gap? Perhaps a better complement for Kevin Martin?

Thanks!

2. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

I think he was ranked in the top 10 for points scored in the 4th quarter

You can just tell he gets "stronger" as the game progresses and plays his best in the 4th, when watching him

3. Felece

Felece Member

He had a hot streak going but nevertheless wasnt afraid to step it up when it counts. Alot of the time its just having that mentality that makes players become what they are.

I dont think he has the ability to take over when facing elite defenses but its better than having absolutely 0 options in a close game.

4. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

There you go - he scored 16 points in the 4th against the 76'ers
    All shown here. He only had 2 points from the first quarter till then....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RTFhxvykjq4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Mr Chuck Norris

6. VanityHalfBlack

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zkkgsvfDgfM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I may be the only one who thinks this way, but I am not willing to bet that much on a guy who showed up to play for one month.

Is he a closer? More worried to see if he is a legitimate long-term starter in this league. Seems like a couple good weeks can get you a hellofa contract these days.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah, just without the C.

9. VanityHalfBlack

I think he was kinda put in that situation don't yah think??? It's not like he just showed up until February??? Being undrafted will do that to yah...

10. Mr Chuck Norris

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Who the hell knows? The odds are good that we'll never find out.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Isn't everyone "put in that situation?" Just because looked good for one month doesn't mean he can keep it up a 2 months, a full season, a full contract, a full year. I know you have to look for the next big thing and grab it before someone else does, but why bother when you have a legitimate pg for less money at your feet as is.

You can argue it only lasted a month because he was injured, but that doesn't explain why it took him that long to show any impact. He had a chance with the Warriors to show some promise and didn't show a thing. He wasn't drafted, so he didn't show promise to any of those teams he worked out for. One month doesn't guarantee a thing. Is it worth risking $30 mil when we have a pg already for 5 per?

13. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

It doesn't matter. I don't like the odds of him ending up in Houston.

14. VanityHalfBlack

It's the talent evaluators fault??? Lin had the skills to begin with... If the Rockets were to sign Lin, I'm sure Lowry would be traded to the knicks..

15. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Lin is legit but who cares? He's not coming to Houston.