1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has LBJ now surpassed Kobe?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roslolian, Jun 21, 2012.

?

Has LBJ surpassed Kobe in the "Greatest after MJ" list?

1. Yes

24.4%
  2. No

75.6%
  1. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

I don't understand why people make a big deal on LeBron making finals in 2007. The biggest reason he could do it was because Cavs were in the weak east.

They won 50 and they ranked No.2 in east already. No.1 Pistons weren't that good either with Sanders as the coach and Ben just left. All it took was one good series.

Had they been in west, they'd be No.6 seed against No.3 seed Spurs in first round. A finals run became first round sweep.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Kobe > Lebron

in rapes committed

3. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Kobe wanting to jump ship and Kobe jumping ship are two completely different things. If I had said "Kobe didn't want to jump ship and leave the Lakers but Lebron did..." that would be revisionism. But I wasn't talking about motivation was I? I was simply stating the fact that he didn't jump ship, which may or may not have anything to do with him. Correct, he was under contract. But he could've pushed his agent harder and forced a trade.

By the way, you can't SIMPLY look at the PER in this story. Wade and Gasol played different positions and had different roles on the team plays. Honestly speaking, 21.9 and 24.0 and 22.0 isn't that big of a difference. But you shouldn't forget, Heat also had Bosh. I'm sure if you look at Wade's PER for the Indiana series, you probably would've seen a slight increase since he had to carry a bigger burden against Indiana while Bosh was out. As good as Odom was, he was no where near overall Bosh's skill level.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Horace Grant was not a role player. He is arguably just as good all around as Bosh. Bosh is a better individual scorer but Grant is better at everything else.

And those role players, mainly legit 7 foot centers that don't require you to go small and shooters who can actually make open shots is exactly what the Heat don't have.

As far as the Kobe jumping ship argument, it's pointless to even mention that he didn't when he couldn't. The fact is that Kobe was not a free agent and LeBron was. Yet, Kobe still tried to escape. LeBron fulfilled his contract and left as a free agent, and there is nothing wrong with that unless you have an issue with free agency.

5. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Am I suppose to believe that you "simply" stated a fact without any motive or aim behind it? i.e. use a fact to support a view? So you weren't implying anything when you said that unlike LBJ, Kobe didn't jump ship, thereby mentioning a random ass fact for no reason at all?

6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Yes :grin: FYI, I hate both players equally.

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Tyreke Evans put up better numbers than Bron did as a rookie so let's not act like he was the greatest rookie to ever step on the court. Bron was good but far from dominate his rookie year. There is a very good chance Kobe could have had a similar rookie season if he was given 35+ minutes a game.

8. MystikArkitect

If you were a bettin man would you bet on a prime Kobe in the finals or a prime Lebron in the finals?

Prime Kobe, duh.

Kobe > Lebron

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Kobe was skinny as a stick in year 1. Tyreke/Bron were both "physically" ready for the grind of an 82 game season of the NBA. Kobe wasn't.

Kobe had no chance to do what those 2 did in their rookie years. It took him 3 years to finally learn the ropes of the NBA, similar to Tracy McGrady.

10. supdudes

supdudes Member

Amidst all this arguing...the poll pretty much sums it up. And this is right after the championship mind you

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Putting 20-5-5 as a 18 year old of out high school is pretty impressive. No one was projecting evans to be the next MJ. LBJ was declared the chosen by his junior year. The fact he has lived up the hype is pretty incredible. He was the most hyped prospect since KAJ. Plus LBJ's team improved by 18 games which probably one of the reason they couldn't land that second star.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Considering I just saw LeBron have a better Finals than Kobe ever had, I'd go with LeBron.

13. parmesh

parmesh Member

Gasol was arguably the best Laker on those two championship squads. At least in the finals.

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Kevin Durant was skinny as a stick and only one year older than Kobe when he came in the league and he had a pretty good rookie year and survived the 82 season grind.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

No, the biggest reason he could do it, is because he's LeBron freakin' James.

Do you realize how bad that Cavs team was, sans LeBron?

16. munco

munco Member

hate kobe more but lebron is still very behind

17. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

lebron has surpassed kobe at the same age that's for sure. as far as their careers go, all he has to do is to get 2 more fmvps to surpass kobe. kobe's ships with shaq means little. shaq was the MDE. shaq > wade and bosh combined. shaq was probably greater than lebron is now.

18. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

kobe had shaq, malone, and payton and lost to the pistons. and he won 5 ships. just because you lost 1 final(the other one doesn't count), or 2 finals in kobe's case doesn't mean you can't still win multiple titles.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

New NArrative - LeBron is the Shaq of the Small Forward Position. Just run over people and get the points or the foul . They have the same offensive philosphy

Rocket River

20. smr6

smr6 Member

In terms of current ability, no doubt. In terms of career, hell no. Do I think LeBron will pass up Kobe? Sure most likely. However, he still has climbing to do to get onto Kobe's career level. If he keeps doing what he is doing then he will definitely pass Kobe. But 1 championship, and still behind him in the all time scorers list doesnt cancel out Kobes 5 championships and the higher ranking in the scorers list