1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic approach to free agency for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

With the Rockets well under the cap this summer....let's look at real possibilities I think the front office should look for in players

$30,946,092 -

Team Options:

Sam Dalembert (w/ Motiejunas coming over no need for The Bert) - will not pick up option
    Chase Budinger (@ $900,000 and still room to grow) - will pick up option
    Patrick Patterson (no growth since coming in NBA) - will not pick up option

Unrestricted / Restricted:

Courtney Lee ( restricted but I'm sure he wants to start) - Team will not match
    Goran Dragic (looking to start like Lee) - See him walking

Free Agents: (I would pursue)

Spencer Hawes (@24 y/o still have upside - potential 15ppg 10 RPG guy) 6 yr/ 28-30 million
    DJ Augustin (perfect back up to Kyle Lowry) - shouldn't command much
    Jerryd Bayless (can play both PG & SG) - Goran Dragic replacement
    Landry Fields (emphasizes D w/ being 6'7" can guard 2s & 3s) New York might match
    Ersan Ilysova (Patterson replacement off the bench) - great rebounder and potential scorer

Potential 2012-13 Roster:

Lowry
    Martin
    Parsons
    Scola
    Hawes

Reserves:

Augustin or Bayless
    Fields
    Budinger
    Ilysova
    Motiejunas

What do you guys think realistically? Who are some of your realistic free agents?

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think I would join the tatomatis' side of extreme hate of morey if this ever happened.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You need to look up BimaThugs posts on the Rockets actual salary cap space. It is not at all obvious to mere mortals like me. LOL

5. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

DMO is not a Center

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

6 white guys..what are we, the Utah Jazz? Hell no.

7. Possum

Possum Member

No you're not a racist! :rolleyes:

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

bleedrockets, please stop making threads. PLEASE

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

His idea's may not be great .... but let the mods mod .... rather that just padding your post count and cluttering the thread with a worthless reply. More thread Nazi's on this site than every other site I frequent combined.

I like the idea of picking up Hawes pending they do nothing at the position in the draft. He isnt a big fat zero on either end of the court , can shoot , rebound and defend and shows up every night. Could be a solid contributor given the right circumstances.

Its likely the team picks up the options on both Budinger and Patterson.

Much of what happens during the FA period will be determined by who they are able to draft.

They pick up any of Leonard , Zeller or Drummond , forget about spending that much on Hawes. More likely they resign Camby on the cheap.

Draft a SG , you have to wonder how the team handles C.Lee & Martin - I'd expect Lee to be retained to any reasonable contract and Martin to be moved at some point.

PG - Is Lowry moved , does Dragic walk ? Both gone ?! If one or the other is gone , Im not against Augustin or Bayless in the backup role to whoever is left. The nightmare scenario would be moving Lowry then losing Dragic .... ugh.

No idea what they do with Scola or Patterson with Motejunas expected to contribute ... do they keep both ?!

10. zainahsan93

zainahsan93 Member

Trade Kevin Martin

Trade Kyle Lowry

Sign Deron Williams

Sign Brandon Roy

Sign Courtney Lee

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

That's absolutely ridiculous. Morey would never do this.

12. jacoby

jacoby Member

I like it. Give other guys a shot to scrap and claw for the 9th seed.

13. amaru

amaru Member

We can't have anybody picking at our spot!

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Preach.

15. JD88

JD88 Member

I say we wait til 2013. Better quality FA's

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Theres no point in trying to improve the roster if we cant land Deron and Dwight.

I want Ish Smith, Alonzo Gee and Tevor Booker. Wouldn't mind giving Daniel Orton a look either.

17. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Awe Man.........it didn't even work on NBA 2K12!!!!

18. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

on the player options. i agree with the Bert and Bud ideas, but theres no way we let a lottery pick, as well as a good rotational player, like Patterson walk after only 2 years in the league. Especially on a roster with plenty of cap space to pick up his ~2 mil option.

completely disagree on Lee. Morey has stated, Lee's a RFA, he will be a Rocket next year. regardless of wether his future is starting or being a 6th man, he will command about the same amount of money. Same exact situation happened with lowry a few years back. He signed with the Cavs to be their starter, and we match for him to be our back up PG. the player has no say in the matter being RFA, so it doesnt matter if lee wants to start or not. We will match nearly any offer he gets.

Hawes would only be a good fit if Scola is gone. not tall enough to b a shot blocking C that scola needs by his side. Illyasova is a great player who has been under the radar for a while. only problem is that he got national attention last year, which means a big increase in his price. will probably be overpaid by someone. and i hope its not us. I absolutely love his game. but again, with scola, seems like a rewardless deal.

Besides the obvious trying for Deron Williams and Dwight Howard, theres an underated star in this league who is also a RFA is eric Gordon. Goiing into the draft lottery i wouldve said there was no way we could pry Gordon away from New Orleans. With Davis joining the hornets, as well as another lottery pick, and with their contracts to Okafor and Ariza, Im not sure if they would like to b tied down financially for the next few years by locking Gordon up to max money. Although he might want to stay and play with Anthony Davis, and their other lottery pick to be, and see if they can make a playoff run. Though all the body language from Gordon last year said he wanted out of New Orleans

19. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Would the Pacers have the cap space to match us on Hibbert if we threw a LARGE amount of cash at him?

20. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I would take DJ Augustin on the Rockets.