1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Windows 8 Fail like ME and Vista?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Will Windows 8 be a failure?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2012.
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I think Windows 8 RT will succeed because it will play nicer in the corporate world than Apple and Android. IT depts are really annoyed with figuring out how to support iPad's. If the Win tabs are decent enough, corp IT depts will purchase them in large quantities and tell employees they officially don't support iPads.

If they are really smart, they will have a docking station with the pads so for many employees, they can fully replace laptops. If Microsoft can make that a reality plus incorporate them so they play with corporate IT security standards, Microsoft will have a hard time keeping up with inventory in about a year or so.

2. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Both those failed due to different reasons. ME because of unstability, Vista because of underpowered/incompatible hardware.

I'm still not upgrading to Windows 8 though. Metro just doesn't appeal to me. (and don't try to convince me otherwise)

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't think that 8 is going to fail, but it isn't going to be the corporate darling. Win7 is starting to replace XP in the majority of business PCs. 8 is going to just be bad timing on that front. It may be the shizz on the home front, though. We'll see.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The corporate world will not skip Windows 8 because most of them are seeing how difficult it is to upgrade after skipping an OS. Most will also have the infrastructure to support it as well. This infrastructure (and expertise) is what many have been lacking in the past.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My company, a very large global airline, is moving from XP to W7 this year. Knowing their mentality, it will be 7-8 years before they upgrade from W7.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I know IBM just moved to Windows 7 with some people still on Windows XP. They aren't going to Windows 8, and they aren't pushing their managed services clients there either. Windows 8 does not offer anything to the corporate customers that you can't get with Windows 7. Multitasking between Metro Apps is a productivity cluster*****.

7. Master Baiter

What you guys most likely don't understand is what goes into an OS migration and the effort/budget that was invested in moving from XP to Win7. You probably just saw that your respective companies took forever to move from XP to Win7 and then assumed that subsequent OSD initiatives will be on similar timelines.

I've discussed this on the board before and while I may not know jack **** about much else, I am a freaking expert in this space. My company has managed and/or been involved with five Windows 7 migrations. We've done the environment evaluations and discoveries. We've rationalized software lists and implemented software and hardware asset management lifecycles and systems. We've done AD, network, infrastructure, SCCM and MDT remediations or implementaions from scratch. We've built OSD solutions and manged deployments. Our bread and butter (and where we make the vast majority of our money) is application compatibility and packaging (automating the installations and deployments). You also have things such as user state migration, profile virtualization, application virtualization, VDI, etc. that must be taken into account based on client need.

For perspective, all of our clients are Fortune 500 companies ranging from 5000 to 100,000 employees. These are not bull**** companies.

All of this is a microcosm of what goes into a successful deployment of an OS. Your companies and ones like them have invested into these systems and do not plan on letting them sit doing nothing only to have to do it again in 7-10 years. It's automated now and moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8 should be much easier. Will all of them move? Probably not, but should they? Absolutely.

As a vendor that sits in a trusted advisor status to IT management up to the C-suite, we will urge our customers to do just that. The ones that do what we tell them to save a ton of money over time. The ones that don't pay for my house in Sweden.

8. krosfyah

Within 2 years, I predict about 20 to 30% of big companies will upgrade wholesale to Win8 on their desktops. However, I predict nearly 100% of them will be supporting Win8 RT.

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

This has been discussed a few times

Windows 8, plain and simply sucks balls! I hope it fails worse than Vista did

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That's an odd thing to hope for.

I'm posting from my Samsung Series 7 Slate running Win8 and I could not disagree more. I love this OS.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I just bought a desktop about 5 months ago with W7. I'm very satisfied with it and I have no need to upgrade. (At work, we are planning on upgrading to W7 in 3Q!)

What I want really W8 for is phones and tablets. I hope some high performance hardware is made for Windows phones sometime around the holidays. The Lumia 900 is OK, but it likely won't be upgradeable. I'll get a Windows tablet sometime around April 2013.

12. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Totally agree Windows 8 for a slate, hybrid laptop/tablet, and tablet is going to be a huge hit.

I work in a big corporation and the desktops may not migrate fast enough, however if we have users bring in Windows 8 tablet.....its going to grow. That is how Apple is entering business markets (IPAD).

Windows 8 tablet, is going to be a hit based on my experiences.

13. cod

cod Member

That's interesting, wouldn't tablets be treated like removeable media?, ie avoided like the plague.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is what I'm hoping for. The price needs to be right.

15. krosfyah

You just can't avoid it anymore with the proliferation of iPad's. So given that, IT departments would much rather support a Windows device that is manageable rather than rogue Apple devices.

Win8 RT (on tablets) will be a big hit. Then after a few years, there will be some level of overflow success onto the desktops but I don't think that will happen too quickly.

But if the tablets are stable, I think that will be a big hit <1 year.

16. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Exactly, we changed so many policies for the Ipad. It sucks when the next step is a Virtual Desktop to get the same functionality of a PC.... I mean really a 500 device + licenses/hardware for a VDI...... really cost effective...not.

17. Master Baiter

SCCM 2012 has the ability to manage Apple iOS devices. I believe that it will manage anything that can leverage Exchange ActiveSync. How well it does that remains to be seen.

18. Master Baiter

http://blogs.citrix.com/2010/08/09/...-cost-analysis-roi-and-total-economic-impact/

Here is a good ROI article on VDI. If you implement correctly, a company can save a lot of money. You have to have a really mature network to handle it though.