1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kayaking...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, May 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I forgot how freakin' awesome it was.

I go during the Summers. Just took my first trip of the year. Glorious.

My last trip was last October in the Dominican Republic, on a two-seater, with my wife. We flipped the kayak about a quarter mile off the beach in the Carribean. Crazy times.

Yesterday made me realize why I love it again.

Anyone else kayak?

2. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

I got a 2 seater Hobie. I like just messing around in the bayous more than I do fishing with it. Would like to take the Buffalo Bayou trip soon.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I can't wait to kayak in town lake by cinco ranch

4. Two Sandwiches

I am going to start fishing out of mine this Summer. I have a sit-in Emotion Comet 11. It's a nice boat.

I pretty much stick to lake Erie when I go.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've been wanting to do this for the longest time. But I have a huge fear of water (drowned so many times as a child). All my friends have gone and I've seen their pictures. It's just streaming water and the river doesn't look too deep. Have there been drowning related deaths from kayaking?

6. Two Sandwiches

I'm sure people have drowned from kayaking, but really, it's very safe. You should always wear a life jacket, anyways.

I would really have to work to flip mine.

Besides that, most kayaks will float in as little as 6 inches to a foot of water. Try it, you'll love it.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I plan on going again before I move back to Houston. It's fun to just go out with a cooler and enjoy life.

8. Hicklander

Nearly Drowned you mean.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.. you only drown once.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Unless
    [​IMG]

11. xAliceInChains

I've just been dying to go the whole Guad. I'm def a River person, been thinking about going to Big Bend and doing the Rio Grande.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yeah nearly drowned, my bad. Even had nightmares about it. I have so many random strangers to thank for pulling me out to safety. My friends have asked me numerous times to go kayaking, but I'm still scared ****less. What if it flips? That would be the end of Jontro.

13. Hicklander

Can you not swim? My daughter takes swimming lessons at the Y, you can join her class.

14. Angle02

Angle02 Member

I nearly drowned when I was 5 years old on vacation. The very next week I was taking swimming lessons. You've got to get out there and conquer your fears.

I have a pelican kayak that I picked up off someone a few years ago...because hitting local lakes I haven't been on any real river yet. Will probably upgrade before I do.

15. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Have one and do whenever the opportunity presents itself. While open water is enjoyable, I love me some white water.

Bucket list: Spend a lazy week kayaking down a river and camping.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I eventually learned how to swim, though not my choice, and it took a looong time just for me to learn the breast stroke. I do go swimming once in a while with my nephews and such, but that "feeling" will flash back quickly when I look too long into the deep end.

Kayaking seems fun, but it's like one of those things that I would be freaked out about like bungee jumping or skydiving.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i can't swim but never afraid of water. i just wear a life jacket. been overboard in the ocean twice. first time was during a catamaran trip in puerto rico for snorkling. everyone was just jumping off and here i am, at 30 years old, 5'9"strapping on my life jacket. took the plunge and enjoyed the rest of the day in open water.

the second time was in thailand a couple of years ago. rented a jet ski and unfortunately flipped it over.

i can actually swim short distances but i don't know how to tread water. in June, i'm taking a camping trip and one of the activities we have planned is whitewater rafting. can't freakin' wait. i've always wanted to kayak too. may just buy a groupon for one of the kayaking tours here in houston.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

recommendation: take swimming lessons

19. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Please excuse me if this is seen as spamming (I hope my long albeit lurkish tenure here would convince anyone otherwise), but...

...the company I work for offers a great little kayaking trip in the Seychelles...you can have a look here: http://vimeo.com/10005827

Obviously very far away - about as far away as you can get - but it's something else...

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoy kayaking and have done both ocean and freshwater kayak on lakes and rivers. I haven't done whitewater though. One great trip that I took a few years ago was at the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. There are sea caves there in sandstone cliffs that you can kayak into.
    [​IMG]

For those feeling uneasy about kayaking you might want to try either an open kayak where your lower body is free, or a sea kayak that has a keel and is much more stable than regular kayaks.