1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Mavs get Dwight and Deron......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketfan713, May 1, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

You re-sign Gogi and you trade anything and everything for the best draft haul you can get, and play for a championship 2-4 years down the road.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The reason he did not pay Chandler is because for a little bit more he can get Howard. Cuban does not care about the luxury tax as much as he cares about getting the best value for his luxury tax dollars.

Would you chandler 10-12 million if you could get Howard for 18 million?

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

How would I react? Players move around all the time now days. I don't think I would have much of a reaction. It's just basketball, I've got more important things to be concerned about.

4. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

The difference between 18 and 10-12 is pretty substantial and good centers are pretty hard to come by in this league. Add that to the fact that they were already paying Haywood starter's money to rot on the bench. With that being said, Cuban must have believed he had a legitimate shot at landing either Williams and or Howard.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

You do realize that you need to have 18million under the cap first to sign a player for 18 mil, correct?

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I would punch a fire extinguisher. Is there any other way to react to this?

7. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Do you realize that they will be 18 million under the cap this off season without amnestying anyone.

9. AggieRocketsFan

If I were the Thunder I would trade any combination of players not named Durant for Dwight.

Then go out and sign Nash or Deron.

Nobody is talking about them being in the hunt but they have all the pieces to do it and it would make the best big 3 in the league.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I will never waste a single second worrying about the Mavs, especially what they might do.

11. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

To the people who say they aren't worrying about what the Mavs do, they are lying. If I changed the team to the jAZZ i BET YOU WOULD. :rolleyes:

You know good and well you would care. It isn't anything wrong with caring about what another team does. The goal is to make your team better than others especially in your same divsion and conference.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Mavs are not getting both Deron and Dwight this offseason. There's no way they can make it happen. The best they can hope for is to sign Deron outright this offseason and then hope Dwight walks away from Orlando or wherever he is playing after next season to join Deron and an aging Dirk in Dallas. And then after that, they have to fill out the other 9 roster spots with minimum salary vets because they will have to be under the salary cap to sign Dwight and then they will not have any exceptions to sign anybody else with. They will have a big 3 and minimum salary vets. And Deron and Dwight and Dirk have to wait another year for Dirk's contract to expire and re-sign Dirk to get over the cap to have a MLE available to add a significant piece to help them.

The best Dallas can come up with is Odom, Haywood, Marion, Beaubois, Brandon Wright for Dwight.

Now, that is all based on Deron signing with Dallas before Dwight is traded. Personally, I don't see that happening. I don't think Orlando is going to let Dwight dictate to them where he goes. I don't think they are going to wait for Deron to sign somewhere and then be hamstung further in their attempts to get max value for Dwight.

The way this thing is going to go down is Orlando is going to trade Dwight before Deron signs anywhere. Deron is going to have to decide whether he wants to play with Dwight or with Dirk next season or hang out in NJ by hisself for another year in hopes Dwight walks there after the 2012-13 season.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

if that happens i quit watching the nba forever. dallas pick would also become worthless

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Because that's so different than what we Houston fans always think? :rolleyes:

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

They just have no assets that are valuable for the magic...They will only get players via free agency...Deron is their best shot but i doubt they can pull both...

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dwight is most likely headed to the Clippers or here or he's stuck in Orlando for 2012-13.

I will modify this somewhat if New Jersey wins the lottery. If they win the Anthony Davis sweepstakes, I believe they go to Deron and ask him what he and Dwight want to do. DO they want to play together next year or do they want to wait it out a season and build around Deron, Davis, and Dwight? If NJ wins the lottery, I believe Deron re-signs there and Dwight walks there in 2013.

Just another reason why I suspect Orlando trades Dwight ASAP this offseason.

#37 jopatmc, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wait, are you still talking about Dallas trying to get DWill and Howard now? Or are you suggesting they're actually not trying to sign DWill, and instead saving their cap for 2013 to sign Howard? :confused::confused:

19. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

THEY WONT

20. supa

supa Contributing Member

No they won't. The Mavs have over $53 Mil committed next year.

Now Odom's contract is only 2.4 Million if waived and Carter's is only $2 Million if waived. Wright's contract comes off the books if waived.

That lowers their cap number to 45.5 Million if they waive all 3.

That cap number does not include their first round pick cap hold and the cap hold of 6 players at minimum salaries.

The best the Mavs can do without amnestying anyone is around $43 million if they trade their first round pick and Odom to a team before June 30.