1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arab Spring: Winter for Women

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Ashcoza

Ashcoza Member

is it true that a muslim lady was prime minister of paki so they had a woman ruling the country before america?

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Here is a list of women who were heads of state of Muslim-majority countries.

Megawati Sukarnoputri, Indonesia
    Benazir Bhutto, Pakistan
    Khaleda Zia, Bangladesh
    Hasina Wazed, Bangladesh
    Tansu Çiller, Turkey

meanwhile, still waiting on the first female chief justice of the Supreme Court, the first female president, the first female vice president etc.

Maybe people who like to delight in yelling about "why can't them middle easterners get this gender equity thing down" would be better served actually creating tangible changes at home for gender equity.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

This is pathetic.

The problem some members her also showed is that the US might not be the best country to criticise this. Since they also never had a female leader and it is not like woman are equal in the US.

That being said the Netherlands also never had a female prime minister, so we are also not the one to point fingers.

It is pathetic how woman are treated all over the world. Just pathetic.

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Not really relevant. Thread title is "Arab Spring ..."

5. Northside Storm

How is it irrelevant to note that once given the choice, Muslim-majority countries have chosen female leaders?

The problem with the countries of the Arab Spring are that they never had the choice. Now they do. And it does not necessarily mean a winter for women.

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

(changing the subject)

major reps for the Shuggie Otis reference.

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Couldn't it be that Arab Muslim countries have been much more restrictive towards women's rights than other Muslim countries (notably Turkey and those in Asia)?

Uh no, I've read that women in Gadhafi's Libya, Shah's Iran, Hussein's Iraq used to enjoy fairly significant rights, democracy or not.

8. Northside Storm

Yes, well the latter came at the cost of having an illegitimate dictatorship that erased or countenanced democracy, did it not? I'd like to have gender equity in a state that doesn't happen to be based on a CIA-sponsored coup or chemical weapons being deployed against civilians.

Anyways, my point was to argue that giving democracy to Muslim states isn't the end of the world, and could actually imply progress that not even America has achieved yet. To answer your first point, could it not be the case that the reason why Arab Muslim countries haven't elected a woman head of state is that most of these countries couldn't have elected anyone in the last few decades?

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Not sure what you mean by "illegitimate". Is any government not conforming to neocon ideology illegitimate? Not a fan of chemical weapons? That's good to know. What if those dictators had access to modern, fancier weaponry, such as drones, would you be in favor?

To those who died in the latest suicide bombings in Damascus, it is the end of the world. Well, maybe they can find solace in knowing they just tasted the fruit of freedom reign.

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sadly, largely unknown by kids today.

12. Northside Storm

I don't even understand what you are arguing.

Can we be clear here? I think the Arab Spring (i.e ORGANIC, people-led revolutions for democracy) is a hell of a lot different than IMPOSING democracy in Iraq.

I think drones and chemical warfare are both aberrations of the intent of international law, and so is Syria's attempt to crush internal dissent.

I am only arguing that the Arab Spring can give hope to women. You seem to be going on some tangent about how organically-led democracy first resisted by the United States is bad/an extension of neo-conservative ideology, which I would consider indefensible.

#32 Northside Storm, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  13. meh

meh Contributing Member

For one thing, democracy and human rights have nothing to do with each other. It just means people choose stuff instead of one person. And your general population aren't exactly a bunch of champions of human rights.

For reference, just look at how regular Joes in the US feel about human rights, or lack thereof, despite having the Bill of Rights drilled into our heads growing up.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

I thought you were dead. Good to see you here again.

Just my 2 cents, it's more appopriate to say Winter for Women NOW, if basso did his homework. Gee, I thought basso should have picked a page or two from Bush and Rumsfield on creative thinking in relative terms whenever there is negative news.
    Is Arab Spring another Iran, too early to say, IMHO.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Bingo!

US democracy, US slavery. But the slavery and seregation were destoyed thanks to the demorcacy. How about that.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

D&D strategy deftly executed.

1. World issue is posted
    2. Criticism is deflected towards GOP
    3. /thread

With due respect for women, men and women aren't the same and legislation can't make them such. I believe women are fully capable to lead, but I might be inclined to vote for a similarly qualified man over a similarly qualified woman. Shoot me?

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

For some reason it seems like female politicians are even more corrupt than men. The current president of india is pretty shady. Sonia Gandhi is super shady. The former president of Philippines. The former prime minster of Pakistan. She might have been the worst.I think the president in Poland got caught for bribes or something. I know there are plenty of men who are corrupt, but it seems females are even worse.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Truth.

Nobody in this thread actually gives a damn to Muslim women's rights.