1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What did Obama know: [he] expects "thorough and rigorous" investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Major

Major Member

I don't think anyone defended Clinton's ethics. But acting immorally is different from an impeachable crime - just as no one is suggesting that these SS agents be charged with a crime. That's why they didn't try to impeach Clinton for the act itself, but instead for perjury.

I don't know how Linda Tripp becomes an American hero. She's the one that collected the evidence that could be used for blackmail. If anything she collected got into the wrong hands, it could have caused enormous damage.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

no it is not.

Actually I've talked to somebody very close to the situation. Apparently it isn't unusual for SS teams to live it up, when they're in a place where they can do so. I guess the big issue heere was that it was in the same hotel where the main press pool was....oops.

I will update you and the rest of the board with more INSIDER knowledge, when I see fit.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I blame McHale.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You dudes believe everything that one of you makes up and disseminates.

Now you even have bigjerxx....er, texx....joining in.

Good night.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'm coming at this from the national security angle not the morality angle. My point is that Monica Lewinski could have been or turned into someone dangerous for our national security.

From that standpoint Linda Tripp did the right thing.... but here, by many, she was ridiculed and mocked for being a traitor to her "friend."

Blackmail? Is there a shred of evidence that she tried anything like that?

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is that Lewinski had already had appropriate background checks, and security clearance. Columbian prostitutes in a country riddled with narco terrorists has not.

7. giddyup

Fair enough and a slight nod to security.... but "spies" have always managed to be placed on the inside. There is virtually no airtight place. She could have been turned. Anything is possible. That's why you don't do it.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah anyone could have been turned. hillary, laura, barbara :rolleyes:

9. giddyup

I see a huge gulf between the bimbo, starry-eyed 21-YO Intern and the wife of the President. Get real. :eek:

10. Major

Major Member

That's absolutely true. CIA agents do things that can compromise themselves all the time, as did these SS agents, and as did Clinton & Lewinsky. But that doesn't make it criminal, which is the basis for impeachment.

That's not necessarily true. She created the trail of evidence that could be used for blackmail. That, to some extent, increases the security risks. If not for her, there was no proof of an affair, and it's the proof that would be used for blackmail.

Re-read what I posted:

American hero. She's the one that collected the evidence that could be used for blackmail. If anything she collected got into the wrong hands, it could have caused enormous damage.

11. giddyup

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentandcabinet/a/impeachment.htm

Impeachable Offenses

Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution says, "The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors." In his report, Independent Counsel, Starr accuses President Clinton of committing eleven acts for which he could be removed from office by impeachment. Are any of those acts "Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors?" Well, that's up to the members of the House of Representatives. According to Constitutional Lawyers, "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" are (1) real criminality -- breaking a law; (2) abuses of power; (3) "violation of public trust" as defined by Alexander Hamilton in the Federalist Papers. In 1970, then Representative Gerald R. Ford defined impeachable offenses as "whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history." An excellent definition, Mr. Former President. In the past, Congress has issued Articles of Impeachment for acts in three general categories:

Exceeding the constitutional bounds of the powers of the office.

Behavior grossly incompatible with the proper function and purpose of the office.

Employing the power of the office for an improper purpose or for personal gain.

Seems like these last two are where Clinton got targeted. Criminal offense is only the lowest threshold to impeachment it would seem.

She set in motion the actions that would end the affair and thus that particular risk. I'm not sure why you keep criticizing her because her intentions could have somehow backfired. Isn't that always true about everything?

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS...ervice-scandal/story?id=16179857#.T5GdvtVliMg

A K-9 unit agent should not be surprised to see himself in the dog house.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Throw the dude a bone -- he's already thrown his.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you deny you said this?

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Taking a lesson from their cousins in blue...

Secret Service closes ranks in sordid scandal

More at the link...

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, giddy, what the hell are you babbling about? What does it have to do with some stupid Secret Service agents banging Columbian whores?

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

secret service should not have to pay for sex.

[​IMG]

...and Clinton didn't have to either.