1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else excited to see Kyle return to a 6th man role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Because Dragic just isn't getting the job done?

I'll be thrilled to get Kyle back, sooner the better.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah i don't think you mess with Dragic at this point. We are playing better than we have all season right now. Dragic has a lot to do with that. Of course you give Lowry Boykins' minutes, and play both Dragic and Lowry together instead of running Chase at the two when Lee is resting. Should be plenty of minutes for everyone without disrupting Dragic's role.

3. mazinger

mazinger Member

He's good no matter where. And no, Dragic is not better than Lowry. If anything, we can trade Martin or let Lee go and put Dragic at the 2. Dragic is at his best when Lowry plays point.

4. denver-rox-fan

Hm, hadn't thought of that. CBud is already starting to show signs of being a pretty good scorer off the bench. Paired with Lowry that might be an awesome boost off the bench.

My personal opinion is that the bench "microwave" type guy is way more important than the average fan gives it credit for. Now Lowry is probably too good to be a long term bench guy, but it will be fun for a couple weeks.

5. denver-rox-fan

Totally agree with you here. Likely unsustainable to have two guys that good at the same position, but I think Lowry is best as a bench guy, and Dragic has definitely improved as a starter.

6. cod

cod Member

[​IMG]

7. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Yes, the prospect of Kyle returning is exciting....and I'd add that if Martin also returns healthy and with his shooting touch, this team could really make waves in the playoffs, if we get there.

The center position is a strength now and with Kyle/Martin on the bench, dang we just might make some noise.....certainly will be fun to find out.

8. inishi

inishi Member

8-6 over the last 14 starts is .571

21-19 is .525

not much of a difference.

9. Spooner

Spooner Member

yes he was..........

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Dragic is doing fine, but I still struggle with believing he can play as good as he has been long term because of the rediculas amount of minutes hes been playing!

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In what aspect of the game is Lowry better yet? Be real here.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

by what measure?

Dec - .333 FG .250 3FG
    Jan - .478 FG .289 3FG
    Feb - .406 FG .280 3FG

Mar - .497 FG .410 3FG
    Apr - .615 FG .500 3FG

13. fchowd0311

Don't really understand your point? Dragic plays the same amount of minutes as every other starter. Plus it is common knowledge that Dragic has amazing stamina. He was a soccer player growing up.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lowry and Martin off the bench

my body is ready

we championship now

15. gregas

gregas Member

What?

You're saying Dragić is at his best when he's degraded to being the secondary ball handler, assuming the role of a spot-up shooter?

That's just completely false. Dragić has never been a good enough shooter to be really effective at that, with the exception of the last couple of weeks, but I think that will be hard to sustain. And his terrific length at the pg position becomes a negative mismatch on defense, because the bigger shooting guards can shoot over him. He loses his confidence, his efficiency plummets and he becomes a shadow of his current self.

Like I already said in another thread, he's not a potent shooter, but he is a potential offensive threat from anywhere on the floor. As a primary guard he's putting that to amazing use by consistently breaking down the opposing defense and finishing or finding the open man - that's the bread and butter of his game. If you take that away from him, you limit his effectiveness considerably.

I'm not trying to debate who's the better point guard, or who should start when Lowry comes back. But what's perfectly clear to me is that Dragić is not a 2, you're limiting his production and efficiency by playing him at that position and any long-term experiment trying to do that would fail.

You can get away with that in stints, but signing him to a long term contract and expecting him to do that consistently would not work.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No, we're not.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree with your basic premise--that Dragic is better with the ball in his hand and is best defensively at the 1.

That said, I think he would be fine as a ball-dominant 2 guard with a PG who basically stands on the perimeter as a spot-up shooter. Lowry can do that and knock down the open threes, however it is kind of wasting Lowry's talents to put him in that role.

So I agree that it's not optimal to have Lowry and Dragic on the floor at the same time.

18. fchowd0311

our offense and defense efficiency is greater with Dragic as the starter.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, the team is....

DD

20. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Doesn't anybody root for the team anymore? It's more like player fans than anything else these days.