1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think you could make a WNBA team?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Apr 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

yeah, i'll give the woman props she made some shots but come on if telfair wanted to (he never would) he could body up the girl on defense and she literally wouldn't be able to breathe or get a shot off.

Plus, he took 3 jumpers, like I said, if he wanted to he could have drove right past her for layups every time down the floor.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it would require elite fitness or skill.

But at the same time, you can't compare a bunch of musicians who can ball to a WNBA team which understands defensive and offensive sets and have been through seasons worth of basketball. Even 5 #1 NBA draft picks might struggle to compete in that format.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No way, they would easily just dunk on the WNBA girls all day as they please.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Depends on the players I guess.

I'm more interested in women making the NBA. The fact that one is called WNBA and the other NBA (rather than MNBA) makes it clear that the best players are in the NBA and women should have a shot at that.

Everyone knows playing against better competition is the best way to improve. By keeping the leagues separate, it is stunting the growth of basketball among women.

I think NBA would be better off from a marketing and financial standpoint by ridding itself of WNBA and NBDL and going for NBA division 1 and NBA division 2, open to everyone.

Promotion and relegation of teams (like football) would be nice, but don't think it's possible given the draft format (unless promoted teams get draft picks, which is a great way to reduce incentive to tank).

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

If you say club yes... But I think a mediocre male college NBA player could compete. I was just a decent junior tennis player and I had beaten top ranked national girls. Actually while I was a junior the number 1 player in Texas, Sasha something, beat one of the Williams sisters bad.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think any male player who competes on the college level (USA) or state level would easily beat any of the top world ranked female tennis players. It's just a different level of power and athleticism due to biological differences. I remember that Karsten Braasch so easily beat both Williams sisters in between smoking a few cigarettes and drinking some beers. He was ranked like no. 100 in the world at best.

8. kikimama

kikimama Member

I'm not a woman hater but I can't believe how much credit people are giving WNBA players. I know personally, I wouldn't be able to compete against them but I'm pretty sure regular gym rat males could take them on easily. There are many h.s. kids who are already athletic enough to dunk and have the skillset of a div1 college player. I doubt the top 5 h.s. recruits would have trouble playing against a solid WNBA team. There is a reason why there are separate leagues. If it was even close as some people say here, there would have been at least 1 female in the dleague or 13th wo(man) off the bench by now.

9. kikimama

kikimama Member

You will never see an WNBA team do this:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_WN7o1rsKHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I probably could easily made an WNBA team if I wanted, but I took an arrow to the knee.

1 person likes this.
  11. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

[/Thread]

12. Burko

Burko Member

Sorry but being able to dunk a basketball doesnt mean you can play the game.

I wonder if you guys have ever played basketball.

13. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I think most high school all-american guys could hold their own against the Comets as long as there wasn't any significant height advantage.

In terms of athleticism, guys who are all-state in track & field in high school would be competing for medals in the Olympics if they were women.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not sure what your comparison here does. I'd assume any 100th ranked NBA player(~4th best player on a team) would kill any WNBA player too. And do it while in horrible shape and high on drugs. But any 100th ranked NBA player would destroy top lottery picks from college too.

I don't know what's the male correlation for a female athlete in terms of strength. My personal guess is something like male pro > male semi-pro/college level(depending on sport) > female pro > everyone else. If nothing else, just the training regimen and on-court discipline that comes from professional training should be a huge advantage.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I know I could play HORSE vs. that WNBA player that was in the Shooting Stars competition this year and missed like 5+ midrange jumpers in a row for Houston.

16. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

that's horrible defense

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

NBA player >>>>>> WNBA player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Average CF gym rat

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

At Rice, the women's scout team which just consists of male Rice students who played a little high school ball or just really good pick-up players, have NEVER lost to the women. Granted, Rice women's basketball isn't the most elite D1 team out there, but there's still something to be said about the disparity between males and females that top players who were recruited from high school on scholarships couldn't beat a bunch of under 6ft tall nerdy Rice kids who got in Rice by academic merit.

19. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

There was a quote from a coach about when he or she used to coach highschool girls basketball and wanted to test this same theory. The coach took the 8th grade girls team who had been playing all year, had set plays, all of that and put them against an assortment of randome 6th grade boys. The girls were dominated. I know this isn't the same thing but it points out the fact, there is a huge physical/athletic disparity between male and female pro athletes. Let's think about it this way, who is the greatest women's player ever? Lisa Leslie? Could she beat out the scrubbiest scrub in the league for a roster spot? I don't think so.

20. dragician

dragician Member

I'd love to go physical with Parker.