1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Parsons Ranked #5 on Rookie Ladder on NBA.com

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cakewalk, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

I am really happy for his recognition. Although he's not in the Rookie of the Year talk, he has great potential to be all-star level player. Here is the article:

"Praising Parsons

March 28 -- I'll admit it: I was wrong to take Chandler Parsons off the Ladder last week.

Even worse, I took him off a night after he helped defend Kobe Bryant in the Rockets' 107-104 win. Parsons collected 13 points, seven rebounds, two steals and maybe the compliment of the year.

"I think he is a terrific young player," Bryant said afterward. "He has a really bright future, and I don't say a lot about a lot of people."

Parsons, a 6-foot-9 swingman out of Florida, has been off and on The Ladder, mostly because what he contributes often doesn't show up in the box score.

Parsons has started 43 of the Rockets' 51 games and has been a steady, solid contributor while often guarding the opponent's best player.

But Parsons has taken things to another level in March. In 14 games, the rookie is averaging 13.3 points and 5.8 rebounds while shooting 53.4 percent from the floor. He's hitting his 3s at a better clip (38.0 percent) and playing with a confidence that is refreshing from the 38th pick of the 2011 Draft. ""

Lock if already posted

http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/

2. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

Opps I mistyped the title. Should be Parsons lol. Can someone help me edit it?

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is probably from the multitude of angry emails this guy got for leaving Parsons off last week. I know i sent one. Glad this guy woke up.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Good for Chandler. I really hope he makes an all rookie team (hopefully 1st team).

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

No, it's because Kobe said he was good. The guy is too stupid to see it for himself but he couldn't deny Kobe's words. I could understand putting him a little lower, most of these selections are based on stats which clearly do not favor Parsons defensive skills but to drop him off the top ten makes him look stupid and he acknowledged that in his backward way.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

at least he admitted it.

7. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Hes going to be a superstar give him a year or 2..if he work on his shooting dude this dude is good...and can defend our rudy gay or batum..but taller and can be better.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Blah, Blah,............ Chandler was underestimated in the draft & was snubbed at all-star weekend. The season is damn near over, & now people are starting to notice? The young man has started the whole year & outside of his FT%, he's been solid all year.

They're very late to the party.:rolleyes:

9. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

Don't think he's going to be a superstar. But he can be the second guy next to the superstar like Pippen and Gasol

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

wow... superstars aren't based on defense alone. houston homerism at its best

11. denver-rox-fan

Love it. I am guessing his ceiling is somewhere around 3rd or 4th best player on a championship contender. He doesn't have the scoring chops (at least yet, and not in Florida either) to score enough to be a 1st or 2nd option, but brings great defense, above average rebounding for a 3, and good ballhandling/ passing/ offense initiating skills. Could be an Odom type player with better defense.

12. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Learn to read, he said if his shooting improves and he said 2 years. If you took all the stars in the league and stripped them of their shooting skills, Parsons would compare favorably. I see no reason why he can't become Iguodala.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Tops: Horry-like career, (minus so many rings), which would be awesome.

superstar? all–star? I just don't see it in the cards. Maybe an all-defensive team at some point though.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Careful, people have been wrong about Parsons before. And when I say people, I mean every GM in the NBA who let him slide to the 38th pick.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think his a ceiling is Scottie Pippen, his floor is Doug Christie.

#15 Aruba77, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I really liked the Prince comparison someone made in the other thread. Reminds me of Marion as well.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Looks like they finally figured out that Parsons' primary strength doesn't translate to the boxscore, even though he is also putting up great numbers now as well.

This is probably what he needs to stay within media attention. The fact that they're calling him the real gem of the draft is huge.

18. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I think he can be better overall than horry on offense and defense

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pippen is a HOFamer we are talking about here...

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't see the comparison. Parsons is already more a play-maker and dribbler than Horry ever was, and Horry's 3pt shooting might always be better. And what does "minus so many rings" mean. Without the rings, Horry is not Horry, no?

I do like the Pippen comparison with regard to style of play and role on the team. Let's set aside any talk of him reaching Pippen's level, but he is sound in all triple threat skills (dribble, shoot, pass), similar range, and similar defensive style. Of course, all skills are below Pippen's (except passing), but as rookies -- Parsons is having a similar year.