1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye bye Affirmative Action?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by geeimsobored, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wow. Powerful post.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't know that public university admissions should consider all of these factors unless they can be quantified. Of course I'm speaking less about flagship schools like UT and A&M and more about the whole system in general, it should be fairly standardized to ensure equal access to all state residents.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

True.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

One thing quite hilarious is that Clarence Thomas the poster child for affirmative action will be one of the deciders.

5. joliver325

joliver325 Member

Please tell me how would you know if you didnt get in b/c a minority took your spot? Whats the approval process entail?

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He was the most qualified candidate for a conservative president trying to replace a black judge; and he grew up far worse than most blacks today who benefit from affirmative action. Furthermore, he probably had the most brutal nomination process of any Court judge in the last 25 years (who wasn't also in support of a poll tax).

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They don't upfront, but unfortunately it's a pretty fair bet considering the achievement gap between whites and blacks (still graduating <50% out of HS) would probably allow for a much smaller black enrollment. So they subpoena records and something probably comes up showing admits with lower grades and test scores than them.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Hum...

Anyone else find it just a tad suspicious that the conservative court would take up such a contentious issue in an election year?

Gotta whip up the crazies somehow I guess.

9. bigtexxx

are you suggesting foul play?

10. SacTown

SacTown Member

Is this directed towards me? Or bigtexx. It's well known here that I'm a UH grad.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not directed at you, just people who have an insecurity complex about their unis. Had no idea you went to UH, that is unfortunate for the rest of us.

1 person likes this.
  12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

The issue was settled in 2003? Why visit it again?

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You're correct, he was the only remotely qualified black wingnut candidate, and as such he rode his race and corresponding affirmative action and the benefits he reaped from it to the most prestigious office in the industry and tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars in paydays.

One of the great things about Thomas was his silly story about slapping a 10-cent sticker on his Yale diploma after graduation "because that's all that it was worth".....well, other than that you immediately went to work with a bunch of Yale alums right after school and parlay that into a lucrative career, risign to prominence in the EEOO and then on the SCT, with guaranteed lifetime employment, multimillion dollar book deals, etc etc etc.

So basically, if you were to slap a price tag sticker on that Yale degree, he's about $49,999,999.90 short of the actual value to him.

#33 SamFisher, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  14. bigtexxx

SamFisher, are you for or against affirmative action?

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know batman, are you?

16. rage

rage Member

Affirmative

While they are at it, maybe they should look at the discrimination against Asian also. For many schools, it's a lot easier to get into if you are White. ;)

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They will, as those Asian quotas exist as part of the same accomodation to historically underrepresented minorities (blacks and hispanics).

18. Raven

Raven Member

Good.

19. Bellaire Brody

Finally, justice for all.

One can hope anyway...

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol, you don't see any asian kids taking ut to court because they got denied admission.

White people already have inherent benefits in society as it is (if you want to argue this it's going to be a whole other discussion).

Sorry but I find the fact that two white people are suing the state laughable, because Asians get it much worse. They get as much if not more discrimination against them when it comes to getting into schools, while also don't enjoy the societal benefits that being white has in other aspects of life.

So these kids didn't get into top 10% of their class, it's not like that is hard feat. I am positive that if they had spent 10% of their effort on this case on studying at a different university in order to transfer into UT, they would probably be in their last semester at UT and about to graduate with a degree from the school right now.

I genuinely think that people are underestimating the positive impact of diversity on college campuses. I would never ever want to go to a school that was over 90% white, or Asian, or black etc.

Of course, there are people who do take advantage of the system and get in through the cracks, like someone who is 1/15th african and 14/15 white classifying themselves as black etc. But on the whole I believe that affirmative action is a positive thing.

It's not perfect, I do believe in affirmative action based upon income as being a better tool to use for admissions, but I don't think we should take race away entirely.