1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey regrets Jeremy Lin cut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fostate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is objective true, though. Every team passed on him in the draft. GS waived him after 1 year. Rockets did the same after 2 weeks. NYK sent him down to the DLeague and did not give him meaningful minutes until recently. Even Lin himself admitted recently he didn't know if he would make it in the NBA.

2. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I love how the guy has had a couple of good games for a bad team, and people are ready to put him in the hall of fame. C'mon do you really think this guy can keep playing at this level?

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The title of this thread should be :

Daryl Morey regrets Jeremy Lin Cult

1 person likes this.
  4. choujie

choujie Member

If he keeps playing at this level every game, he'd be in HOF.
    But that's not the point. The point is he is a good PG who will have higher trader value than all 4 of Rocket's 09 1st rounders combined, who makes less than 1 million, but was let go for nothing.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think too often fans think the environment doesn't play a role in how a player develops or performs. Sometimes it matters a lot.

Lin's playing in a city that has the second largest asian population, i believe.

He's staying at "home" with his brother.

Minutes were available AND the team needed someone, anyone really, to step up.

His teammates welcomed his leadership and trust him.

No one else on the team is disrupting his rythm.

It was a mix of being comfortable and having nothing to lose that allowed him to break out. You can't get that in every city/roster. That being said, he still has to keep it up.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

doesn't matter, the point is we let him go while there were a few better options...

but I don't think Morey is being honest...he knew the guy can ball..

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

honestly yes...he might even be a bit better than Dragic down the road..

8. VanityHalfBlack

Why the hell did Morey say this on his Twitter??? Keep that **** to yourself, talk about ego trip this guy...

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I'm I missing something here? Has anyone gone through the whole twitter chat Morey did this morning? He got hit with a few Lin questions and one guy told him to admit his mistake so he sarcastically did...thus the tweet. I'm sure he wishes there was room for him here and is proud of the kid but he said in another tweet...he wouldn't be getting playing time here. Linsanity wouldn't be happening here, I believe was his quote.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's still a display of ego. There is no reason for Morey to say "anyone who says otherwise is misleading u." when he was the last GM to have him on his team. There are reasons he had to pick Flynn over Lin...but from a pure talent evaluation, Morey and plenty of people here knew during camp (just 2 months ago) that he was a better 3rd stringer than Flynn.

What GS did last year is irrelevant.
    The fact NY sent him to the D-league (FOR ONE GAME) is irrelevant. What is your point about one game? Clearly, NY had plans for him, and thought he was worthy.

I agree that Dragic is just as good if not better. And we'd be too deep at that position to keep all three PGs.
    I am not trying to get in the middle of tiring Lin Cult debate. I'm only saying Morey is trying to make excuses after he admits to a mistake. that is ego, plain and simple.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Too bad Morey couldn't tweet,

"I regret letting Lin go. He'll screw up the NY draft pick."

Maybe; NY is missing a lot of Melo and A'mare, although they don't seem to match up well on the court.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There you go starting **** again.....lol....just can't help yourself can you?

Lin would have played once Lowry got hurt, like now.

And Morey is just setting LIN up to make a go for him as a free agent this offseason.

Pure PR spin.

DD

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Actually it's the truth. Humility has nothing to do with it. He was passed on by every single team in the NBA multiple times.

14. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I often think of it in terms of playing environment. It matters what a coach is asking a player to do and how often the player gets a chance to do it. Lin is being asked to do just the very things Lin does well in a system that supports that style of play.

I think that mix of job assignment, player ability, and playing opportunity is the biggest thing players need to have "just right" early in their careers.

15. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

Jeremy Lin is OVERRATED!!!

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It mainly came down to Flynn already having a guaranteed contract, and Lin not. It didn't make financial sense to cut Flynn and having to pay him still plus pay Lin when talking about a 3rd string PG who wasn't going to get more than a few minutes every 5-6 games.

Lin did look good in very limited time he got in the preseason though. Still no one in the league expected him to go 20+ ppg for his first 3 games. It's taken him almost half a season to get in the line up on the Knicks where the other PG's on the team are terrible.

I remember when Flip Murray had 20+ points in 10 of his first 11 games for Seattle back in 2003, but in the end still has never averaged more than 13.5 ppg for a season. It seems more likely that Lin will follow in that mold rather than become a perrenial all star, but we shall see.

17. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Not saying he doesn't belong in the league because clearly he can play, but espn seriously just put up stats of his first 2 career starts vs. lebron's first 2 career starts. smh. That's typical espn reaching for a story.

18. SugarLandDream8

J-Lin has only had decent minutes in 3 games in his NBA careeer. He has dominated in all 3 games and led his team to victory in all 3 games againt 3 of the best PGs in the NBA in D-Will, Devon Harris and John Wall.

It's a small sample size but in those 3 games, Lin had played better than anyone on the Rockets in the last 3 games

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clearly I remember pickin' on the boy, seemed a harmless little ****
    Ooh, but we unleashed a lion, yeah
    Gnashed his teeth and bit the recess lady's breast
    How could I forget?

And he hit me with a surprise left
    My jaw left hurtin', ooh, dropped wide open
    Just like the day, oh, like the day I heard

1 person likes this.
  20. SugarLandDream8

Houston and areas close to Houston has over 1 million Asian Americans as well according to the 2010 census