1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Shane for Thabeet (in hindsight)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 8, 2012.

?

Good or bad trade (in hindsight) ?

1. Good, Shane was regressing, cost us too much and developing Budinger was needed

33 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Bad, we could've used Shane as a defensive stopper off the bench

52 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Meh..not bad, not good.

39 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Just a move we needed to make at the time, that's it.

87 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Just to see how people in here feel about this trade in hindsight.
    This is truly not in any way to bash Morey or anything like that because at the
    time I thought it was a good trade: it allowed Budinger to start as Adelman was showing loyalty to Shane even though he was regressing, it saved us some money and Thabeet gave us some potential size and a back-up center.

In hindsight, it was a bad trade as Adelman was sure to leave and the focus on defense was sure to come with a new coach. To me, it would've been better to keep Shane so he could've remained a starter before eventually being replaced by Parsons / Twill. The problem is of course that Budinger would've never developed and he would have little trade value. Then again, his trade value right now is zero.

That we traded him for Thabeet makes it even worse, but that is the risk you take so I'm not going to let this be a factor in whether I think the trade was bad or good. It's just with the 90% possibility of a coaching change and badly needed focus on defense, we might as well have kept him.

Thoughts ?

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am confused.

It was good that Morey traded Shane, because Adelman favored Shane for loyalty, who was regressing.

Then, it would have been good if Morey didn't trade Shane. A new coach who favors defense would play Shane.

Maybe Adelman favored Shane for defense, and not loyalty, over Budinger.

3. Felece

Felece Member

shane would have signed elsewhere to contend? No?

I doubt the rockets were gonna give him a new contract more than the min and he woulda taken heat's min

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Adelman never really wanted to play rookies unless his hands were forced. It was clear to everyone that Shane didn't contribute enough on offense and Budinger showed potential. Bud was made for the RA offense thus thrived and had a good end of the season as a starter.

Maybe it is true he favored Shane for defense but at the time a lot of people felt Budinger should start, including me. It seemed only Adelman was happy with Shane as a starter. Since he would've never use Shane off the bench and develop Budinger, Morey was almost forced to move him.

The trade imo was simply to see what Bud could turn into I think. Maybe to drive up his trade value or they believed he could be the starter for years to come. Last year though it seemed with this trade and trading Brooks they gave a sign giving up on the season and focusing on 2012.

Now however Alexander is giving signs that he doesn't want to suffer a bad season and wants to win now. This in contrast as Battier would've helped us more, even last year, if he wanted to make the playoffs and win now.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I still don't get this trade. Now we are paying Thabeet when we could have just let Shane's contract expire if we didn't want to re-sign him. What was the point?

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We had legitimate hope for Thabeet.

Now he is just rotting away on the bench. I wish we would just let him play 48 minutes in the Dleague all season. He needs game experience more than anything...

7. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Thabeet is 7'3"......he has shown glimpses of what can be done if given a chance, even if it was garbage time. Right now, it couldn't hurt (anymore or any less) if we let the kid play.

Imagine if he goes elsewhere and becomes a Thabeast?

8. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why will Battier be back for Houston this season?
    IF trade or not trade, Battier is gone

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, but we wouldn't have to pay someone (and wouldn't have someone taking up cap space) who is not playing.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Saying we traded Shane for Thabeet is like saying the Rockets once traded Otis Thorpe for Tracy Murray.

1 person likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, but if we didn't take a chance, we would have ended up with nothing,. Think of it this way, would it have been better to trade for Thabeet and end up with Thabust? Or let Battier go for nothing and missed out on Thabeast?

Let's be real here, if we didn't trade for Thabeet and he ended up becoming decent posters on CF would be making "We missed the boat" and "Fire Morey" threads.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

IIRC from Clutch's preseason interviews of the Thabz, he did say he started playing basketball really late, right? Same as Hakeem, I think he started after high school.

Too bad I don't think the Thabz has the same drive as Dream.

13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

But now we have an expiring for the magical 2012 offseason to sign one of those big-ticket FAs who will surely want to come here next to Kyle Lowry and rebuild a storied franchise..

EDIT - I was being somewhat sarcastic, but I do think this is the major factor at play: 2012 caproom. It doesn't hurt that he's taller than 7' and, if he gets his stuff together, could be a defensive stalwart in the middle.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

At least we got a draft pick from MEM, which was included in the Motiejunas trade package, so it is not all bad.

1 person likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

As long as we would have met the minimum salary requirement this season, we would have had that cap space next offseason anyway. No need to pay someone who doesn't play.

16. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

The trade wasn't made primarily for Thabeet, it was made for a lottery-protected first round pick in 2013.

17. cdastros

cdastros Member

Shane was getting old. Take a chance on the number 2 pick in the draft and get D Mo. Shane is chasing a ring in Miami.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We also got a first round pick from the Grizz.

Thabeet was still a 2nd overall pick. A new team might have been able to tap into that potential, but apparently not.

19. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

at the time the trade happen
    the rockets were out off the playoff race
    and shane was unrestricted free agent ( and for the rockets wouldnt resign him)
    so the trade allows the rockets came under the salary cup and get a bad 1st round pick and the hope off thabett for a player that was probably gone anywhere.

Was a very logical trade

20. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

no other offers for Shane?

take a chance on THABEET? now that's the stupidest thing in the trade