1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

THE REBUILDING PROCESS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kissofdeath, Aug 17, 2000.

1. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

THE INTRO: A thought occurred to me while responding to Davo's insightful thread on Shandon and thought it would be another topic not entirely related to Mo.

THE PREAMBLE: We've signed Cuttino. Let's assume we are able to keep Shandon happy and in a Rocket uniform next year or the year after. We are able to land Mo Taylor this offseason. We manage to sock away enough dough (obviously the max) for Francis when he is eligible in two years. Rudy is able to mold Cato into a Mutombo-type center (defense only). Young players like Langhi, Collier and Thomas develop into quality role players to complement vets like the Wiz, Moochie and even Pig. (I know this may appear a little optimistic at this stage-- hang in there with me.) These statements, though certainly not all truths at this point, are reasonable assumptions for thread speculation and idle chit-chat.

THE POINT: We've been able to do what championship organizations like Boston, Detroit, and now Chicago have not been able to do -- rebuild in a 3-4 year period after the inevitable retirements of their superstars (in our case Drexler, Barkley and Olajuwon.) And we've done this without trading Olajuwon to Canada.

Houston is not LA, NY, Miami or even Orlando. It's hard to get FA's to WANT to come to Houston -- I just think Rudy, CD and the crew have had phenomenal success in making the painful transition between contending with superstars and "getting young" -- and they've done it with class.

THE DISCLAIMER: It's a little early to label a squad of Francis, Mobley, Anderson, Taylor and Cato "rebuilt" or a "contender" -- but that's kind of what I'm doing.

------------------

2. Steve

Steve Member

i just felt bad no one replied after you made a long paragraph.... so i replied....

P.S.
    i didnt read it all [​IMG]

------------------
    "And Raul missess the Penalty in the 89th minute of the Euro2000 and Spain is sadend again" by Spanish Fan

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Death,

I agree with you. The Rockets are a first class operation, and I think most of the NBA knows that. Lots of free agents would want to play here, but we had no money this offseason. Add a couple more players and we are there.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

4. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Kiss of Death wrote-

Houston is not LA, NY, Miami or even Orlando. It's hard to get FA's to WANT to come to Houston.

I respectfully disagree with your statement. I think Houston is one of the 5 top FA destinations, and here is why.

1. Houston has the best summer ball in the world.

2. Rudy T and the Rockets organization treats players with respect, and is honest in negotiations.

3. Houston is a very progressive city, and race relations are actually better here than most cities I travel to.

4. NO HARSH WINTERS!!

5. We have the best topless bars (I put this one in because that is why Barkley, the philandering ******, came to the Rockets.)

6. Too many other reasons to count.

If the Rockets have cap room, we will be in the running for all FAs, in my opinion.

------------------
    -The expert has spoken, so shut up and try to comprehend the truth.

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

I don't think that is optimistic, it isn't realistic either, it's somewhere in-between.

Also, I agree that Houston is a prime free agent center. The weather here during basketball season (most of it anyway) is prety nice and we have a first class front office, not to mention one of the most well-liked coaches. We attracted Pippen, almost landed McDyess, got Shandon to take a discount and look like we may be getting Mo Taylor to do the same.

------------------

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Also, there's no state income tax if the player makes a residence here.

The only reasons someone of Webber's caliber won't sign are more about personal ties and past friendships than negatives about the city itself or the Rocks as an organization.

If I recall, McDyess signed with Denver b/c the Rockets were "too old and not going anywhere". What a difference 2 years can make.

------------------
    GATER

7. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Gator, great point about the lack of state income tax.

------------------
    -The expert has spoken, so shut up and try to comprehend the truth.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

We might have missed out on some free agents because of the ongoing arena dispute. I mean if u are a player, u would want to know where u are going to be playing. No one is going to sign a long term contract with us if they dont know where they will be playing 4 years from now.

I agree that Rudy, CD, Les, and the winter weather make Houston atleast the top 3 choices for any player.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

9. djones

djones Member

Also, there are many players that still live in the city. McDyess didn't sign here but he bought a house here. Avery Johnson still lives here. Many other players that have played here still own homes here.
    I think with the money these guys make, the no state tax, plays a very important role.

------------------

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

THis, in my opinion, is an often overlooked fact. I mean it is scorchinghot in H-town during the summer, but we always have a lot fo players from throughout the league living here. Ive seen many surveys done, for instance, that rate Fonde Recreational center just behind Rucker Park for the greatest places to play pickup ball anywhere in the country, because of the star talent that is usually there.

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

11. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

RocketExpert -- nice points --

1. Summerball in Houston is worldclass -- no argument from me on that one.
    2. Rudy, CD and the org. are respected and honest -- crucial in our "success" in rebuilding.
    3. I never thought I'd hear the word "progressive" and "Houston" used in the same sentence having spent the first 18 years of my life there. The city has a lot going on these days -- but the word progressive is still a stretch. Is Judge Eckels still working down there?
    4. Very Harsh Summers
    5. Your right, Silicon City is very different from Silicon Valley but only a player like Barkley would come to Houston for the t***.

It is true that the Rocket Org. and the city of Houston is attractive to some FA's --
    But a top 5 destination over LA, NY, Miami, Orlando or Portland? Our ability to attract the best FA's is more about Rudy and CD than Houston's weather and lower taxes. The lack of a state income tax is a contributing factor but players like McDyess and A.J. can still live in Houston and play elsewhere. The fact there IS an arena dispute would argue against Houston being progressive --

In any event, that's not really THE POINT here. I thought our discussion would deal more with:
    1. The failure of organizations like Boston, Chicago and Detroit to rebuild quickly.
    2. The challenge teams face allowing their superstars to pass gracefully and still remain competitive -- Houston has cleared that hurdle.
    3. Plucking significant roll players from the CBA, the 2nd round, and a tight FA market.

This is exactly what seperates the Rocket org. from others. We don't play in the Garden or on a paquet floor. Our pockets are not Portland deep. Jack Nicholson and Co. are not "seen" in attendance at Rocket games. We don't offer the beaches, nightlife and gated communities the Florida teams boast. We've been able to do more with less. That's the point.

------------------