1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

what can we do with the rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vj23k, Aug 16, 2000.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Right now, as much as i love the rockets im prbably in the top 5 of biggest rocket fan, but we have some problems. we dont have a power forward and mo t isnt the answer cuz its gonna be a one year thing probably. Is langhi the sf of the future? i saw games and i saw he has some talent. but he is sooo skinny, how will he play against the bulky sfs like gary trent? and will shandon and cuttino play together. i know it worked pretty well last year, but i noticed alot of times it was either or. shandon had a good game then cuttino then shandon then cuttino etc. i hope the rocks can prove me wrong

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't know, but Gary Trent is not a SF. He's a PF.

As for Taylor, if this were a one year deal he would be signing with Seattle, his top choice, right now. Why is he not? Because they have no cap room next summer as of now. Seattle is trying to trade with the Clippers, but I highly doubt the Clippers take Seattle's garbage. So, for Mo it will come down to Seattle and Houston for the 2.25M exception, and he most likely will choose Houston because of their ability to give him that big contract next summer. He may test the FA market next summer, but if it was about going to one place for one year and then leaving it would be Seattle. NEXT season they may be better than us and are probably more likely to make the playoffs, although I still fell like the Rockets also will. I think he does want to stay in Houston or Seattle long-term IF they can pay him the money.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Sign Mo Taylor. Bench Kenny Thomas.

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Championship)
    http://bbs.clutchplays.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000991.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 16, 2000).]

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If Langhi is our SF for the future we are in deep s***.

4. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

were worried about Gary Trent now? If that's all we have to worry about then I would say we are in pretty good shape.

------------------

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't personally agree with the statement that Langhi will be our SF for the future. However, I do think he will be a valuable piece, and could possibly with work be our starting SF. I'm guessing you did not see the two summer league games, because if you did and you still don't believe that Langhi has the skills necessary there isn't really a lot of hope. Langhi will be a very good player. Watch.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Sign Mo Taylor. Bench Kenny Thomas.

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Championship)
    http://bbs.clutchplays.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000991.html

6. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

we can just sit back and enjoy the moves and games they do and play. because we are just fans.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

7. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

I wasn't able to watch any of his summer games. How good is Langhi defensively?

8. RENDIGGLER3:20

I just wanted to compare Langhi to who he plays like to me,and no its not Nowitki or Kukoc or Chambers,why does everyone seem to compare him to other white players,I think he plays alot like Rashard Lewis.Im not saying he is going to be as talented or not as talented thats just who he plays like to me.Defensively i dont know i couldnt really tell from just 2 summer league games,but I wouldnt worry about the bigger small forwards its the smaller quicker ones.

------------------

9. haven

haven Member

Lil Francis: How the heck do you already know that langhi won't be our SF of the future? If you're really certain, then you deserve a GM position somewhere. Honestly, this is *impossible* to know. I guess that Shandon Anderson doesn't deserve to start, since he was drafted in the second round. Nor do Van Exel or Bryon Russell... or numerous others.

How much have you seen Langhi play? Did you see him play while he averaged 23.8pts per game in the SEC... more than Swift or Miller? Or perhaps you missed him outplay nearly everyone on the court in the RMR.

I must have missed him playing poorly in the pros, and cause your derision. Feel like sending me the tapes?

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited August 17, 2000).]

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Rocket101:
    I wouldn't say Langhi has any outstanding defensive skills as of right now, but what he DOES have is what is most impressive. And that's nothing to do with his skills, he has a tremendous desire to compete and to succeed. That's good news because it means he'll do what he has to in order to make himself an NBA player and I'm sure he's going to learn how to be a defender in the NBA.

------------------

11. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

Thanks for the info DrNuegebauer.

Everything I hear about this guy usually is good though I wonder with all these superlatives that have been written about him might we be expecting to much right away.

However, I am excited to think about the over-all team in general and like others, will keep a close eye on Langhi. It may be too early to sound the War Cry but I can't help but think this might be a special year for us.

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

It will be very special if Dream is healthy and returns to his old form (or maybe 75% of it) We would make the playoffs for sure.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Yo Haven nice post...
    How does any of us know which draft picks will turn out to be good or bad.

Who knows the top 5 picks in this year draft could all be bust. There are a lot of Past All Americans who could not make it in the NBA, and there are a lot of nobody's who turned out to be pretty good.
    Every time you look up someone is talking about trading for Fizer. It's true that Fizer and a lot of the guys in the Draft have the Potential to be good or great, but they must prove it first. Who knows Langhi could turn out to be one of the best shooters to come into the NBA. The fact is we don't know. So stop trying to predict the future and sit back and enjoy the present.

------------------
    Hey Juniors Call Me Big Brother T_Man.. Full Member of CC Inc

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Haven,

Good points, but Sam Cassell was taken late in the 1st round.

DaDakota

------------------

15. haven

haven Member

Thanks DaDakota... senile at the age of 20 [​IMG]. I've edited my post above.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Haven, I like your attitude...and your sig.

Tanking will not be tolerated!

[​IMG]

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

This may not be the right thread, but this would solve alot of problems for 4 teams:

Detroit > Jerome Williams to Houston.

Seattle > Rashard Lewis to Houston and Jelani McCoy to Detroit and a 1st round pick to the Clippers.

Houston > Sends Walt Williams to Detroit, the 4.5m exception and a conditional 1st round pick in 2001, 2002, to the Clippers.

Clippers > Sign Mo Taylor to a 10m/3yr deal and send him and Tyronne Nesby to the Sonics.

End result:
    Detroit > Walt Williams and Jelani McCoy
    Seattle > Mo Taylor and Tyronne Nesby
    Clippers > 4.5 mil exception, 1 less 3m/yr contract and 2 1st round pics
    Rockets > Rashard Lewis and Jerome "Junk Yard Dog" Williams.

Before you comment, please look at the rosters (Detroit has Jud Bueschler and Brian Cardinal at the 3) and the salaries (which I think are close as the Pistons have cap room).

------------------
    GATER

18. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

i dobt that the pistons get the raw end of the deal tere. and the clips probably want more vets instead of picks theyre not too good with draft picks hehe. and h-town gets the best deeal there. i hope that would happen but i doubt it