1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TreeRollins, Dec 15, 2011.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm a believing Christian, and I think he's got a shot in judgment. He told the world about the evil of Henry Kissinger. I think God would consider that heavily in judgment.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

In this forum Hitchens would have been accusing of poo-flinging and banned before he even had a chance to hit submit on his first post.

I disagreed with a holy hell of a lot of what he had to say but there is no questioning his was one of the greatest intellects on earth, a real visionary. While he's been in Houston for treatment whenever he's been out of the hospital he's been staying with a friend of mine, so I've been getting the occasional update over the last several months. I was very sad to learn of his passing. In a world that favors politeness, moderation and compromise over passionate, even furious, discourse Hitchens represented the best in us that is too often regarded to be the worst. He won't rest in peace; he never did.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

RIP christopher hitchens

He was a badass

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Thanks, Irenaeus.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You must expound on that thought, I'm interested.

What the hell are you trying to say here? Though, it would make a good science fiction story:
    Guy dies, sees the bright light and follows it up to a face to face meeting with God, and asks, "God am I in heaven now?
    God says" Now?, you were in heaven, why didn't you use your time to love when you had it?"

#45 Dubious, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He was quite discerning in China matters:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2007/10/maintained_in_china.html

#47 SamFisher, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I know there are quite a few Glenn Greenwald fans on this forum, and others are likely more mixed in their assessment of his opinions.

Regardless, he's written an exceptional piece with reflections on Christopher Hitchens. It's lengthy so I'm not pasting it here, but you can find the article at the following link:

Article

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Or not. You can just screw around and waste it, either way it won't mean anything to you other than what it means while you are living it.

I think the only point is your state of mind, right now.

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

GAH! must...stop...staring at that pic.

[​IMG]

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That pic doesn't sadden me, it gives me hope. It's a brilliant piece of humanity on display. I wanted to go to the TFC to see Hitchens speak, knowing full-well it would be the last time. I regret missing the opportunity now. But as the caption states, I feel lucky to have shared the same time and plane of consciousness. His death opens the door for a new secular rockstar. I can't wait to see who.

13. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Let's take the supposition that there is nothing after death. The premise that this is "the end" is still false due to the fact that energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only transduce from one form to another.

I therefore propose that even in the absence of an afterlife that your energy continues just as it has always existed before your conscious mortal world and just as it will always exist for eternity after.

Domo,
    Roboto

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hitch and Christina Hendricks can't both be wrong:

To Hitch.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qyjc4tIJK4Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

One of the most interesting people I have ever read or listened too. I often disagreed with him about religion but not always. His facility for language was superlative.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. A very interesting read. That would be the way I would like to be remembered. Not having my life filtered to appear saintly but looked at as a complete person flaws and all..

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Because there will be theists coming to this thread and tell us its God's will

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

lol niice one

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

exactly