1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cato and Walt are Not Overpaid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Aug 17, 2000.

Tags:
  1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

TB,
    I agree with you that his numbers should get better as he plays more, it is logical to assume so. I don't want anyone to think I dislike Cato. I, too, love his potential and think he will be a solid player once he rounds off his game. But I truly question his desire.

If he pulls through this year, I will be as happy as anyone. But I just don't see him as anywhere near a top 10 center in the league right now. I do think he can crack the top ten, with work however.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

2. haven

haven Member

TB-Cain: It's not fair to do because there's often a *reason* they're only given that much time. perhaps they get fatigued easily, get in foul trouble like Cato (in which case it's impossible to get many minutes) as you pointed out, or work best as a situational player. For example, Cato got ALOT of his points on dunks by weakside passes from Mobley. If he played 35 minutes per game, I don't think he could do this much more than he already does... the other team would be looking out for it.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

3. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Variables. He's also on the court for more offensive put backs, loose balls, fast breaks, opposing team's defensive lapses, etc.

------------------
    Bad spellers of the world: UNTIE!

4. haven

haven Member

TB-Cain: Yes, but those opportunities would only be proportionate with those that he's already recieving, while his "plays" would be less effective, resulting in ruining any direct correllation between minutes and points.

------------------

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

The man took 6 fga per game in basically 2 quarters worth of work. So he would need 3 fga's in another quarter to stay "on target". Of those original 6, maybe 3 are set up off penetration by a guard leading to a week side dunk. Therefore, 1 or 2 more of these are needed over another 12 minutes to maintain his average. Say he gets one more because he's being guarded by a defender other than those that guarded him in the original 24 minutes. He makes up the difference on defensive lapses or defensive switches.

Obviously, I'm simplifying the arguement because there are a ton of variables we could discuss. It's all hypothetical anyway. Maybe in those 12 extra minutes he's matched up against a shorter defenders and can face up from 8 feet out and can the jumper.

I do agree, however, that after a point, fatigue becomes a larger factor and diminishes a player's production. I don't know how much of a factor fatigue played in Cato's PT. If it was a factor at all, then I would say you're right. His numbers would have been impacted over the next 12 minutes.

With Cato not being the primary scoring option, though, I don't think defenses are geared towards stopping him rather than stopping Francis or Mobley on the penetration. I also don't think that if he plays another 12 minutes that defenses will start gearing themselves towards stopping him.

------------------

6. haven

haven Member

Tb-Cain: I agree with you that defenses would n't specifically try to stop Cato. But even in the few times I got to watch Houston, it seemed that *many* of Cato's points came because the other team forgot about him while Mobley or Francis penetrated. The man can dunk thunderously when nobody's covering him [​IMG]. And if he does this twice per game, nobody's going to notice. But if suddenly this is always a threat, I think other teams will at least be more AWARE of where Cato is.

Heh... either way, I think one of us will be proved right in the next few months... and I don't think our differences are significant. I think Cato is very capable of those #'s, I just disagree that you can arithmatically recalculate Cato's #'s, if he had been given enough time.

Peace?

------------------

7. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Peace.

Although now we have another disagreement. [​IMG] I don't think Cato will get the minutes this year. I may have mentioned this earlier. It's Dream's final season and Collier is what we landed with the 9th pick overall in the draft. I don't think Cato will get the minutes to prove himself (beyond what he already has) until 2001-2002.

If I had my choice, though, Cato would get the minutes. If only to settle this debate. [​IMG]

------------------

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Haven, you and I are agreeing too much these days.

It is truly unfounded speculation to say he would have had 13, 9, and 4 blocks in 36 or so min. We don't truly know what Cato can do if given more time. Why wasn't he given those minutes if coach thought he could produce like that? Even with Hakeem out, Cato did not get that many minutes.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."