1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Mo gets a sign-and-trade....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewGuy, Aug 16, 2000.

1. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

We still have out 2.5 million exception. The biggest need for this IMHO is a backup 2 guard. We have Collier and Cato backing up Dream, Thomas, Rogers, and hopefully Miller backing up Mo, Langhi, Bullard, and Walt backing up Shandon, Moochie and hopefully not but maybe Drew backing up Francis, but noone backing up Mobley. Obviously Shandon could play minutes at the 2, but I'd like to see us get an instant-offense or nothing-but-defense type 2. We don't need a complete game from anyone, because if Mobley gets hurt Shandon would just slip over to the 2 and Walt would start.

Anyone have any ideas? Billups would've been nice. Chris Carr is available, but we'd be overpaying at 2.5 for him.

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

COULD? It's the only position he played all of last year. When we signed him, we promised him the starting SG spot as well. Shandon is not big enough or physical enough to be a starting SF in the league, period. Shandon will remain as our starting SG, and Mobley as our backup SG. Shandon will not be the starting SF for the Rockets, and will remain at SG. So will Mobley. The SG position is filled.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Sign Mo Taylor. Bench Kenny Thomas.

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Championship)
    http://bbs.clutchplays.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000991.html

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

If I remember the late run we had last year, at the end of all games we had Francis, Mobley, Anderson, and Williams on the floor. So was Shandon the 2? Does that mean the 6-4 skinny Mobley was the 3? I don't think so, Shandon was the 3, unless it was Walt which means Shandon was the 4. The point is if Shandon couldn't play the 3 in the NBA we would've been crushed at the end of games, because Walt clearly isn't an NBA 4. Two guys playing terribly out of position couldn't spell success could it? Also, Shandon was the backup swingman in Utah, and swingman is defined as a 2 or 3. So Shandon played the 3 there too. You have to put the best lineup out there, and the best lineup includes Shandon, Mobley, and Stevie.

------------------

4. Gascon

Gascon Member

However, at the end of games, Mobes doesn't need a back-up. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Have we not here the best cards in the game to win this easy match played for a crown?....."

Bill Shakespeare

5. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

That was only when the other teams defense would allow it, it would not work against most teams. Shandon isn't tall enough or physical enough to play the three and Walt is not big enough to play the four, on a consistent basis.

------------------

6. The Cat

Sure, at the end of the game we did do that. But honestly, it's because he really didn't have other options, and a 3 guard lineup along with Walt at PF was better than anything else we could have put out there. You don't build your whole team around the lineup you put out there for the last 8 minutes of the last 20 games of the year. You try and build a winner, and that's why you don't see Shandon starting at the 3. He can play there in spurts, sure, but long term he will not be effective there. If it was the case Shandon would start at the 3, as you know Rudy would have loved to have the option of promising Mobes the starting role in negotiations. But he did not, as he does not want to take away Shandon's effectiveness. Just because you play a certain player at a certain position a few minutes a game doesn't mean that's the position you should plan around him playing. Shandon is not and will never be the Rockets starting SF.

------------------

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Walt wasn't in at the end of every game down the stretch, but no matter who we were playing, we went with a 3-guard combo at the end. If your 3 key players are all guards, go with it, like Detroit with Johnson, Thomas, and Dumars.

We did do that because it was the best available option, and seeing as how the only 2 or 3 we've added is Langhi, it still is the best available option.

------------------

8. The Cat

You are right in that for this upcoming season it will probably be the lineup we go to in the 4th quarter. But over the long-haul, it will not be effective, as Shandon as neither the size or physical tools to play the SF spot 25-30 minutes a game, like a starter does. You can always count on him to play SF in a few spurts throughout the game, but if you think that's where he's envisioned to be in the long haul (playing 30+ minutes a night there) it won't work out.

------------------

9. RENDIGGLER3:20

Hey newguy the instant offense guy off the bench you want is MOBLEY.He was 2nd in 6th man votes last season and could get it this year.Shandon has and will start at the 2 guard,then mobley comes in for walt moving shandon to the 3spot having a running lineup,but shandon will get a little help this year with the addition of langhi.We count on Shandon alot specially on defense.Shandon is very strong but he is still a 2 guard and cant guard the bigger small forwards,and we shoudnt count on him to.Maybe with the help Langhi provides off the bench can let Anderson concentrate on slashing more to the basket like he can.

------------------

10. haven

haven Member

NewGuy: Shandon is absolutely *not* a 3. He's not equiped to play the position, and his talents are not utilized well in that fashion. Besides, unless Mobley learns how to play D, he doesn't deserve to start, and is better suited to his role as instant offense.

Shandon is *SERIOUSLY out of place* at the 3.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If we DO get Mo in a sign and trade (I'm assuming he comes here for the trade exemption plus cash considerations - the clips don't want any more contracts to eat), then the rockets roster will be fairly loaded:
    PG's: Francis, Drew
    SG's: Anderson, Mobley
    SF's: Williams, Langhi, Bullard
    PF's: Taylor: Thomas, Rogers
    C's : Olajuwon, Cato, Collier

By my count that's 13. Of course I'd love for us to make sure we tie up Moochie - I think that's probably quite a high priority and with Moochie on board that makes 14. Since there are only 12 roster spots I don't think signing a guy for 2.25mill to play IR all season is neccesarily a highly intelligent move [​IMG]

Of course I'd also love to unload Bryce Drew - he's definitely got value and there's no doubt there are teams out there who just need a point guard!
    Having succesfully got rid of Drew then we need to look at some sort of swingman - preferably one who can play the 2 or 3 and who is reasonably athletic - failing that we can always offer Stais Boseman a minimum contract to sit on the bench - he seems to be a reasonable enough player and he wouldn't be the worst option as backup insurance should we suffer an injury to Snadon or Cuttino.

------------------

12. houmedman25

houmedman25 Member

Didn't want to start another MO thread but according to NBAtalk.com today the Wizards are now eyeing Mo. Hope this comes to a resolution soon.

------------------
    And tonight...From the Bank United Center...Your Houston Rockets and Miami Heat in Game 1 of the 2004 NBA Finals!!!!!

13. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

DrNuegebauer

FYI Dept: I know it is listed as a single one year contract in a number of places, including Patricia Bender's page .... but, according to the Rockets Organization Moochie Norris is signed for the season. I personally have heard CD confirm this. They have talked extensively with him about a contract revision, but Mooch has not agreed to anything past the poresent contract which expires at the end of this season.

14. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

It was in the Chronicle at the end of last season, Moochie is signed for next year at $500,000.

Also, I don't mean for Shandon to play the 3 the whole game, in fact I see him playing the 2 every second that Mobley isn't in. But if we want to get off running, go out there with your best lineup. In 8 or so minutes bring in the 00-01 sixth man of the year, Walt Williams, for Cuttino and slide Shandon over. When Cat comes back in, bring him in for Shandon. Keep the pair on the floor together only at the beginning and end of games, those are the two most important parts IMHO.

I also believe Drew will be traded, even if it's for a late draft pick or cash. He is useless on our roster and his contract, though small, will eat into next year's caproom.

And while Mobley is an instant offense guy, he is good enough to start. I know good players can come off the bench, but he is in the upper level of NBA players, and deserves to start. I was thinking of someone who will be just as happy playing 3 minutes a game as playing 25 for that exception.

------------------

15. RENDIGGLER3:20

I agree newguy mobley is good enough to start but we rely on Shandons defense and I think Rudy likes having that man that can come off the bench and provide a spark and get it going right away.

I think Mark Young can be a nice pickup to sit on the end of the bench.He can hit the outside shot as well as play above the rim.He is also pretty athletic and can play some defense,from what i could tell from the couple of games at the rocky mountain revue.

------------------